• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is YML bird cages safe and built well???

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You could look at HQ and AE flight cages. The are the perfect size for cockatiel's and small conures. I had an HQ flight cage for 10 yrs which I rehomed to my friend who had a green cheek conure and needed a bigger cage. I think HQ is better made, but I'm sure AE is good too. Just make sure that the flight cage is 21" wide. Some of the cheaper reproductions look the same but are narrower, too narrow in my opinion.

Amazon.com : HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary With Cart Stand, 1 Per Box, 32x21x60"H, Platinum : Flight Cages For Cockatiels : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand, Black: Pet Supplies

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@Monica @JLcribber @Jaguar @expressmailtome
I checked some more of the pet stores we gonna get the prevue Hendrix cage.. its a starter kit for small parrots, love birds cockatiels, conures. It's called All living things parrot starter kit. It's a nice sized cage i seen it at the store too the bars are good spaced.:hehepink: its kind of a bonus it comes with food and a toy! Plus it's bigger then I expected to get :ashamed1:its really a bummer the cage i want is :jawdrop:300$ plus tax for one. And im gonna get two for just under :shocked2:400 $seems like a good deal. But if it seems too good to be true it usually is right??( Wee bit stressed cus is my birthday present thats buying the cages) So if is any suggestions or personal experience i would be extremely thankful on your input
On another note the birdie boredom buster stuff is on way here and I'm excited! I will have to show some of stuff I got!!! And makeHoping all goes good with that and i wish you all a great night!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are the A&E or HQ flight cages really out of the question? I mean, they are great sized cages...

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
This one? All Living Things® Parrot Starter Kit | bird Cages | PetSmart

Sorry - it's too small. I live in Canada too, I know how hard it is to find appropriately sized cages. This is the only one Petsmart has that's big enough - but for the price, I'd look for something more sturdy.

Prevue Pet Products Slant Roof Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart

Are the A&E or HQ flight cages really out of the question? I mean, they are great sized cages...
They are extremely hard to find in Canada :(

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Thinking bout buying some new cages for my birdies just wondering if YML is safe and good brand for my beautiful birdie's i found what seems like a great deal but you know the saying if is too good to be tru it most likely is lol so yeah I am looking for people who have personal knowledge of them and experience I have recently lost a bird to heavy metal poisoning im now a nervous ninny about everything. Oh and another question lol has any of you used birdie boredom busters??? For toy parts and toys?? I ordered bunch of stuff and am planning on making my own for them just wondering if any one else knows bout that site or has tried their stuff have great day thank you all!!
I saw some of the items on the site you mentioned for half the price on Amazon, so certainly helps the pocketbook to do some site comparisons when shopping online.

And regarding the cage, I was interested in this as well and came across this:
Testing for Heavy Metals in Bird Cages? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Speaks of contacting a Animal disease lab for testing.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@XstatyK @Jaguar[/USER]
It's too small!!!! Really! Thats a big cage . I seen it and it's big cage ... i really need to get my birds into new cages. The one i want is smaller then that one but is taller... the dimensions are smaller then the ones they are in now( except Brandi's hers is wider but it's starting to rust and I don't want to risk her...

Last edited:

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@Jaguar
That cage, i seen it, the red one, the cages i am planning on getting are taller but little thinner then that one you posted, bars are thicker and better looking... how can it not be big enough!?!? Is distressing lol..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds need horizontal space. Height does little for them. So a taller cage is less ideal than a wider cage. The one you were looking at is 20.5 in L x 16.2 in W x 33.5 in H.

A cockatiel has about a 19 inch wingspan. This means that your bird would not be able to stretch its wings, in any direction, especially if you add literally any toys. Can you imagine being locked in a room where you couldn't even extend your arms?

A cage should at least as deep as their wingspan, and as wide as 1.5 times the wingspan if out of the cage the majority of the day or 2 times the wingspan if in the cage a lot of the day. This means that for a cockatiel, you would be looking at a cage about 29x20, or 39x20. The closest cage to those dimensions readily available is a flight cage (32x21), and is the smallest cage you should consider.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes. Wide wide wide my dear. Birds don't fly up and down. They fly side to side. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sighs.. my birds climb more then fly and they are out a lot
Only you know your birds. It does depend a lot on how much time they have to spend in it.

Have you considered that the reason they climb more is they don't have the room to fly?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sighs.. my birds climb more then fly and they are out a lot

They won't stop climbing just because they have more room to move around in. How long are they in the cage everyday? If it is literally just to sleep, they still need to be able to do the bare minimum, which is stretch their wings.

You just need to put yourself in their position. For a human, if you are 6 foot tall, your arm span is about 6 feet wide. Can you imagine being in a room that is 6 foot by 4 foot for more than a small amount of time in a day? And that's empty. Add in some entertainment, a food bowl, etc, and you have further reduced that space.

Now look at the bare minimum of what the recommendation is. 6 times 1.5 is only 9 feet. So to suggest a flight cage is asking you to live in the equivalent of a 9 foot by 6 foot room. Gives you a little bit of room to at least stretch, yes?

They don't deserve less because they are small.