• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is YML bird cages safe and built well???

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thinking bout buying some new cages for my birdies just wondering if YML is safe and good brand for my beautiful birdie's i found what seems like a great deal but you know the saying if is too good to be tru it most likely is lol so yeah I am looking for people who have personal knowledge of them and experience I have recently lost a bird to heavy metal poisoning im now a nervous ninny about everything. Oh and another question lol has any of you used birdie boredom busters??? For toy parts and toys?? I ordered bunch of stuff and am planning on making my own for them just wondering if any one else knows bout that site or has tried their stuff have great day thank you all!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss. I have not heard of "birdie boredom busters", but if you are looking for bird toys and parts, there is a list of vendors who are members here, all of whom sell wonderful products. Here is a link to that list: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum . There are several stores that are in Canada on the list.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
YML cage quality is reflected in the price. They are cheap because they are made cheap. They should be ok, as long as you accept the risks that come with a cheap cage. I do know that King's and Avian Adventures have higher quality powder coating. For a truly safe finish on a cage, go with aluminum or stainless.

I took a look and that site seems to use a lot of toy parts I don't think are safe (personally). Soft plastics, those rubber shoe keychains, etc. so you'll have to be choosy if you do order.

My favorite Canadian vendor is Things for Wings, they're in the forum vendor section ;)

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
YML cage quality is reflected in the price. They are cheap because they are made cheap. They should be ok, as long as you accept the risks that come with a cheap cage.
Yup. They're cheap and the quality is reflected in the price. They are perfectly fine but cheap is cheap.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I bought a cheap cage on Amazon and it's been fine, Lurch, and now Dobby, like it fine and it's a mansion compared to the antique I used to have. It of course shows in the thin bars and some slightly bent parts when it shipped but it also had 5 nice stainless food cups, a play top, and is easy to clean or put food and water in. The powder coat seems OK. I didn't have the budget for a kings or some of the other top end cages but the price will also show in their better materials and thicker bars and nicer doors and locks and like that.
I tried to do some research and read all the reviews I could find on it and main complaint was damage from shipping because of thinner bars but nobody said the cage was a danger or bad.
Like said as long as you know what you're getting for your money and are ok with it and read some reviews from real users you should be ok.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I have the list if wanna give me some tips.. my grammas ordering its what I wanted for my birthday so I pitched in moneys and she's ordering.
The nickel plated bells, guessing the soft plastic rings(thought be a good supervision toy with some stuff attached to it) are bad im have to ask gramma to not get those.small wood wheels the hard wood, hard wood cubes, both plastic chains nickel plated chain.paper stick pot foot toy, bagels n beads foot toy.bamboo shredders. And the neon pony beads oh and the paper twist rope.. my birds are liken the destroying stuff so figured if want to shred the bamboo shredders be good the paper twist rope to hide treats... bamboo is safe I've read from my research. But again ive never bought stuff online n im guessing once its here im stuck with it please let me know what thinks thank you!
( i am still seriously unsure if have tips and advice if stuff is bad or not id appreciate the warning THANK YOU ALL for your condolences to us, it means the world)
like i said is no bond like the bond of a feathered friend they are so special.
Goes for any pet i suppose I adopted a hamster recently too and I'd like to say he is adorable. i will be just as sad as i was with Butter's

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
As for the cages... thinking I'll look for more expensive and get back to this thread.. this sight is amazing.. should be called amazing avian avenue lol and for wayfair i guess is a bust for buying... i like my stuff brought to me nicely and unbroken or bent.. some peoples huh! Thank you all so much

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Sounds like you picked some good toys :) I did like those big balsa blocks with the acrylic beads and such tied to them.

Try looking locally for a cage! I have seen some seriously awesome deals, even in my small city. I got a mint condition Avian Adventures Loro for $50. F10SC is a good disinfectant for (non porous) second hand bird stuff.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Sounds like you picked some good toys :) I did like those big balsa blocks with the acrylic beads and such tied to them.

Try looking locally for a cage! I have seen some seriously awesome deals, even in my small city. I got a mint condition Avian Adventures Loro for $50. F10SC is a good disinfectant for (non porous) second hand bird stuff.
So do u think those toys i picked from birdie boredom busters is good??? Lol im so excited to give them the toys and stuff

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
So do u think those toys i picked from birdie boredom busters is good??? Lol im so excited to give them the toys and stuff
The palm finger traps are a big hit over here! The little woven hats too.

Depending on what they like, you'll know what to order lots of next time :D

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
The palm finger traps are a big hit over here! The little woven hats too.

Depending on what they like, you'll know what to order lots of next time :D
Kool what about your birds what do yours like ?? Hats huh!!sounds super cute lol

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Kool what about your birds what do yours like ?? Hats huh!!sounds super cute lol
Balsa is their fave :) Small-medium beaks tend to really like it. It's nice and soft and extra crunchy.

They also like anything made out of vine, palm, cork, and seagrass, as well as yucca, and any woods with the bark still on. Basically, stuff they can shred and pick apart. They destroyed one of these today and made an absolute disaster :laugh:

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Just curious Brandi is so finicky shes my tiel. Buster is the conure hes not finicky lolinto every thing he is starting to try to talk he was trying to ask me for a kiss lol like i do to him but he couldn't quite do it but I figured it out and he did a little dance lol

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Ooooooo! Those are pretty kool!!! Hey do you grow herbs for your tiel to shred too?? Just wondering i been reading so much stuff lol but yeah read that bunch of easy to home grow herbs thyme basil oregano rosebud hips, raspberry leaf ( is specific kind of raspberry leaf) ( i cant remember right now ) lol

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My mom's cheekies talk up a storm, but only she knows what they're saying... or trying to :roflmao:

Yes I grow herbs for them (and me)... hot peppers too! Here are some from last year. Planting a lot more this year :) They love the parsley, cilantro, and leafy stuff like lettuce the most.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first YML cage was fine, other than having been outside for a little while and having some rust. It was a 40 x 30 cage. Miss it, but bar spacing was kind of too big....

My second YML, which I still have, is a 32 x 23 originally purchased off of Ebay and first housed a quaker (my brother-in-laws ex-bird - still alive, in a new home). This one wasn't designed quite as well (part of the top bars aren't "equal" with the support bars) and the tray has a weird smooth area which I don't know if it came that way or developed that way quickly... Otherwise though, it's been a good enough cage.

I have replaced the food dishes and holders though with smaller dishes. The cages are meant for amazon to macaw sized birds and I'm housing conures in them!