• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this stool normal? [cancer diagnosis]- Sad Update Post #28

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The big "C" word... one I'm not fond of and has greatly hurt me, especially this year... I've lost two pets to it this year alone, in fact, I lost them in the same month. I have another that *might* have it as well, or it could be something else entirely... we aren't sure... none of his tests came back conclusive... and I don't know if he'll survive the week.

I had a bourke hen that went through laser surgery to remove a large pass from her foot. She was about 14 years old at the time, give or take, when we did the surgery. We had already done a biopsy of the mass, and it can back "clean". I asked the vet to amputate her foot, but since the biopsy was "clean", my vet didn't feel it was necessary and instead performed laser surgery to remove the mass. This was her prior to surgery. (click to enlarge)

ef1619a0.JPG

This was the night she came home. I honestly didn't feel like she would make it! She was extremely weak and worn out.

a7a52db1.JPG

The next photo, you can see the bandage she had on her foot. A little awkward and clumsy, but she managed.

e98ad9dc.JPG

I had the mass sent off for testing, despite my vet feeling it wasn't necessary. Of course, that time, it came back cancerous. It also grew back, although not to the extent that it had originally grown to.

BK_zpsae7f614a.PNG

She lived for about another 5 years before I had to put her down due to other health issues... which so happened to be 1 year and 1 day ago today...

My best advice? If it is in fact cancer, possibly the best thing you can do is to stop feeding pellets. Stop feeding Nutriberries. Stop feeding anything with preservatives and dyes in it.

Instead, rely more heavily on a sprouted and vegetable based diet, for cancer likes sugar. (saying this as my own birds are currently eating Harrison's as a part of their diet... but trying to get them to rely more on sprouts and veggies)

SproutsChop.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry your little bird is sick @Vera

Also, @Monica I didn't know you have another sick birdie now too, I'm so sorry.

Big hugs to you both!
:sadhug2::sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the diagnosis. Sending positive thoughts your way. He is lucky to have you to care for him.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:

It's not good so close to the brain & the sinuses are open passage ways so it could travel through them.
A leg you can cut off. My neighbors dog survived that but it is likely as much inside as it is outside.

Sorry for your little lovely sweetheart.

I don't think that surgery can do much. I guess they could try to remove it & the lazer sounds like the best way but I don;t think that will help much & would leave the bird with pain in its current state when its probably best that it not undergo
a procedure that will limit its good life that is.

Its not good that its growing so fast. They still don;t even know all the cancers I have. They still are not great at identifying them as I had a biopsy come back & they said I had a cancer they never found after surgery.
So thats 3 they thought I had but I guess one is for sure.

Even if it was benign if it gets into the brain its a matter of time.

The best thing is to let them have as much normal life as you can.

Do try any homeopathic remedys that are not harmful.

Sugar it may seem to feed on that but even carbs are converted to glucose so I am not going crazy with diet.
I am eating to enjoy my life. I have some icecream & use maple syrup in my oatmeal.

Now I read even good grains are going to feed cancer.

I have to eat.

Seems cancer does not respond to fat...meat proteins...

Gosh I have been eating steel cut oatmean for breakfast & black bean with grass fed angus beef & rice for dinner.

I agree leafy greens are still best & chop made with that & some light grains.

Pellets esp those with high sugar may not be the best thing but we all need to eat to keep out strength to help the body fight it.

They say cancer does not like oxygen

Interesting while some of it I don't know but if you read between the lines there is useful info...mainly for me is to stop chemo til my hemoglobin gets back into normal range as it carries oxygen & if my blood is now depleted it could be setting me up for a battle between killing cancer & creating more cancer.

Oxygen and Cancer - How cellular oxygenation kills cancerous cells

Tumeric, antioxidants, .... I guess I'd let him have more seeds in his diet since they are fat based rather than pellets.

Different fats are good & so is the ratio...seems walnuts & flaxseed & fish in ratios but virds don;t eat fish

How too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 is making us sick

@Monica

:sadhug2:

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Also, @Monica I didn't know you have another sick birdie now too, I'm so sorry.
Cat, actually... and if we lose him, it will be half of the critters lost this year.... not even counting aquarium "pets" that I can't keep alive due to a roommate and neighbors... (aquariums being at my SO's place...)

And my sister is losing her "baby cat" as well. (she has two, but the older one is *really* her baby)

So things not really going well over here... Thanks though...

Sugar it may seem to feed on that but even carbs are converted to glucose so I am not going crazy with diet.
I am eating to enjoy my life. I have some icecream & use maple syrup in my oatmeal.

Now I read even good grains are going to feed cancer.

Seems cancer does not respond to fat...meat proteins...
Also, thank you.

I'm not sure about grains and birds, since our bodies are different, but they may eat a whole lot more plant matter in the wild than within captivity, so I would think that sprouts may be beneficial here?

I also mentioned it before, cancer is a concern with my mother, as she had it. She's on a Paleo/Keto diet and she's doing great on it! Although, she's on it due to her diabetes, and the diet just so happens to be good against cancer, too. Some of the meals she's created that are Paleo/Keto friendly have been great! In fact, I feel like the potato salad alternative actually tastes better than the original! Or macaroni salad alternative! Some of the deserts, such as Fat Bombs, can taste *amazing*!!!

Seeing what my mother has gone through in an attempt to get healthier, I really feel that vegetables play a huge role in how healthy someone, or some thing, can be. My mother has recently learned that cats shouldn't be eating dry cat food, and canned food might not be good for them, either... I already knew this, but there's no point in telling her if she isn't willing to listen... she's learning now though, not that it'll do us any good... although with cats, they don't need vegetables... they just need "whole" food... and if that food (i.e. meat, bones and organs) is ground into a hamburger consistency, that's fine! Toss in some extra nutrients, and they're good to go! Dogs could use vegetables, though... since they aren't as carnivorous as cats are.

@Vera I had hoped to have heard some better news about your birds by now, since you asked about them in early July, at least. Sorry though that things haven't improved. :(

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
he hasn't been on a pelleted diet all the time, mostly about 30% pellets and rest sprouted seeds and dry seeds and some veggies.
he started to dislike the veggies and had lots of bacterial infections, probably caused by the sprouted seeds, zo i don't feed them anymore.
my AV told me to feed a diet that would provide all the needed nutrients, so he now is on harrison's high potency and nutriberries, abou 50/50.
the turmeric is fed as the Golden paste and is mixed with his pellets, the golden paste contains coconut oil.

diet i am not going to change. i believe diet is not the issue here. he is a mauve mutation and he has always had weak feathers. i believe this mutation might be bred to far, causing al kind of problems.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
he was declining very fast. tumor was growing and growing, the past weekend i saw that he had trouble eating and closing his mouth. he was sleeping all the time. this morning we found him in his cage. he passed away last night. we are very sad, he would have been 3 years old next thursday. i hope he will be in peace now. no more pain.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Vera, so sorry to hear that! :crycry2: :sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry that you lost your boy. I'm sure you take comfort in him being whole and healthy again and flying free and high with all of the lost birds from AA.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue