• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a place where I can buy bird safe wood branches and see the actual size and shapes?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've been wanting to buy a java or manzanita tree for so long but I keep holding off because, first of all, they're expensive.

But also I've never found a near perfect tree, for me, in regards to the shape and placement and size.

So I've been contemplating making my own. I Googled around and saw some really nice ones and now I'm inspired but I can't imagine buying these things online and getting it right on the first try. Does anyone know of a place that shows the exact pieces you'll receive?

I'm aiming to try making something like
this
Trained Parrot Blog - Home Built Parrot Climbing Foraging Tree

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oooh, nice, thank you so much!
Those are awesome!

I feel like I might have got a little ahead of myself there though cause now that I'm able to see exact pieces online, I am having trouble imagining how to piece them together. :shy:

I wonder if it might be better if I can go to a physical store where I can actually touch them and put them together visually. It's just too hard doing it in my brain right now. I'll revisit Sarah's site again tomorrow though, when I'm not tired and try again.

Thanks so much for your help! This is a great start!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
One question for @Macawnutz , Sarah, do you have any that are like 3" wide for the trunk of the tree?

Eta* see, I am tired! There is one that's 4" thick! I need to go to sleep lol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I do have exact photos of java pieces on my site but if you are looking to buy a table top stand... I personally would go to a store and purchase one.

You have a small bird so many stores stock multiple pieces unlike the large stands I have in my house. I know they are costly but I promise the java stands are worth it.

If you are still interested in making one I could go through my pieces and help you but my guess is you would be much happier purchasing a stand over building your own.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Go and find an unsprayed "apple tree" and cut it down. Apple wood is very tough like manzanita. Strip the bark and you will have all the different sizes, diameters and shapes you need to create. And the wood is basically free.

I don't think you realize how much work it is to make such a thing. You need to be pretty good with tools. Probably the most important thing is the base. Without a really good base it won't be steady/stable. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I do have exact photos of java pieces on my site but if you are looking to buy a table top stand... I personally would go to a store and purchase one.

You have a small bird so many stores stock multiple pieces unlike the large stands I have in my house. I know they are costly but I promise the java stands are worth it.

If you are still interested in making one I could go through my pieces and help you but my guess is you would be much happier purchasing a stand over building your own.
Thank you, Sarah! I'm not sure yet if I still feel up to all that work but I think you're probably right that buying one would make me happier. I don't really want a table top stand though. I've already got one of those. I want a big tree like one. I'll have to make the effort to travel to a store and take a look at some soon. I'm just too scared to buy one online, site unseen.

Go and find an unsprayed "apple tree" and cut it down. Apple wood is very tough like manzanita. Strip the bark and you will have all the different sizes, diameters and shapes you need to create. And the wood is basically free.

I don't think you realize how much work it is to make such a thing. You need to be pretty good with tools. Probably the most important thing is the base. Without a really good base it won't be steady/stable. :)
Thanks John. You're right that it's alot of work. I have a feeling once I buy the stuff I'll get frustrated with how difficult it is.
I had thought about cutting a tree but I'm not sure where I can find apple trees I can cut that are unsprayed. In Chicago many many people love spraying chemicals :(

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I see you're in Chicago, I know of a couple places in the suburbs with birds stuff that will have perches. There's a store in Orland Park called Chicago Bird House, they have a lot of perches of all sizes, lots of different wood too. And there's this feed store called Ted's, they have some bird stuff. Most perches are manzanita, although they also have java and such. Those are my go-tos for bird stuff in person, especially Ted's because it's right by where I live.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I see you're in Chicago, I know of a couple places in the suburbs with birds stuff that will have perches. There's a store in Orland Park called Chicago Bird House, they have a lot of perches of all sizes, lots of different wood too. And there's this feed store called Ted's, they have some bird stuff. Most perches are manzanita, although they also have java and such. Those are my go-tos for bird stuff in person, especially Ted's because it's right by where I live.
Thank you!! That's great to know! I will check them out soon. I've also been wanting to check out Parrot Stars in Arlington heights. They might have trees and perches there as well.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Have you checked for organic farmers that grow apples near you? Perhaps you could get a lead there.

Windy City has some nice ones. Should be near you tool

Wood Play Stands all sizes available at Windy City Parrot
That's a good idea to ask the farmer's market! Thank you LadyJane!

I go to windy city parrot pretty frequently actually and the stands they do have in store are a bit too big for my guy unfortunately. Then the ones they have online are like double the price. $700 :omg:

Revali

Walking the driveway
I've been wanting to buy a java or manzanita tree for so long but I keep holding off because, first of all, they're expensive.

But also I've never found a near perfect tree, for me, in regards to the shape and placement and size.

So I've been contemplating making my own. I Googled around and saw some really nice ones and now I'm inspired but I can't imagine buying these things online and getting it right on the first try. Does anyone know of a place that shows the exact pieces you'll receive?

I'm aiming to try making something like
this
Trained Parrot Blog - Home Built Parrot Climbing Foraging Tree
Most hardware stores carry Poplar dowels I crafted all my perches from them aside from the bio vine ones. You can easily shape them with an angle grinder then drill out the end and use a Double Sided Screw Bolt to go in the end. Easy fun and cheap. You'll get a nice Hand Hune beam look from using the angle grinder plus it puts nice little burn marks in them. I think I may have used a flap disc aka Tigers Paw.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Most hardware stores carry Poplar dowels I crafted all my perches from them aside from the bio vine ones. You can easily shape them with an angle grinder then drill out the end and use a Double Sided Screw Bolt to go in the end. Easy fun and cheap. You'll get a nice Hand Hune beam look from using the angle grinder plus it puts nice little burn marks in them. I think I may have used a flap disc aka Tigers Paw.
Wow, you sound like you're good with tools. Do you have any pics of any of your creations?

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Here's a tree I made. I used the base of an old cage I was just gonna toss as the bottom, and it's worked pretty well so far. I got lucky finding someone who was clearing madrone trees from his property. It might be worth a shot searching your local craigslist/classifieds.
I made a new tree | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Here's a tree I made. I used the base of an old cage I was just gonna toss as the bottom, and it's worked pretty well so far. I got lucky finding someone who was clearing madrone trees from his property. It might be worth a shot searching your local craigslist/classifieds.
I made a new tree | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
That looks awesome! Good idea to check CL. I will will do that. Thank you!!

Revali

Walking the driveway
Wow, you sound like you're good with tools. Do you have any pics of any of your creations?
IMG_0420.JPG You can see there are slight burn marks and you can add as much conture/burn as you'd like. Looks as if your from the Chi area these Dowels are from Lowes they carry Poplar. There many other options for perches as well.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I always thought people having those trees had cut them down from the forest and removed the bark themselves. Never thought you could buy them... I was actually considering taking a Birch hunt trip in the Spring myself..

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Last edited: