• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is it aspiration? Again?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
The guy from clinic gave conure medicine this time! Nothing came out of nostrils, but he started breathing with mouth open as we released him. There was a sound in breathing but not like last aspiration, he went back to normal in a few minutes. Also there was a move like hiccups as shown during aspiration! What it actually stands for? Medicine reached his sinuses or lungs? @Tiel Feathers @Shezbug

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
To clarify, it was just 0.05 ml of medicine...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Since I'm not a vet, I can't say what it is for sure.

Are you saying that the conure had heavy breathing after medicine? Or was your conure breathing heavily before medicine?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Since I'm not a vet, I can't say what it is for sure.

Are you saying that the conure had heavy breathing after medicine? Or was your conure breathing heavily before medicine?
It was after we gave him medicine. I know if it had reached his sinuses he must have gotten it out of his nostrils but that didn't happen. He just kept on breathing with mouth open for a few minutes and hicuppes likw thing which is seen in aspiration was noticed. What are the signs of medicine reaching his lungs?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If medicine went into the lungs then you may hear "wet" breathing.

Birds can be stressed out by receiving meds, too, which could also result in heavy breathing.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
If medicine went into the lungs then you may hear "wet" breathing.

Birds can be stressed out by receiving meds, too, which could also result in heavy breathing.
How long that wet breathing lasts if medicine went into lungs? Also, that something like hiccups.. What's that?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Mohit Gaur, I really am not sure what happened but sometimes when our birds have been rather stressed (like being handled and medicated by the vet) they can get a little puffed out. I have seen Burt start to huff and puff a few times after serious frights that happened too quickly for him to even fly to be out of breath. He was just sitting there on his perch when a massive bird pf prey came very close to my window and seemed to appear from nowhere which startled both me and the bird, he just ended up panting open mouthed for a little while.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is your bird still showing the signs you mention? The hiccups and open mouth breathing?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Is your bird still showing the signs you mention? The hiccups and open mouth breathing?
No nothing now...it's a bird of my friend actually. He's back to 100% normal...full of energy! Other than open mouth breathing this is what hiccups looked like. It lasted a few minutes only

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the bird is not showing any signs of distress or illness then just keep an eye on him and try not to worry too much. If you are stressed your bird will sense it.

Buttercup is so pretty :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wanna say that it is quite possible that the medicine went down the wrong tube, so to speak. As to how long it lasts.... that could vary by how much went the wrong way.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He's pretty but not my bird:hehe: I found it on youtube to show what hiccups of my friend's conure were like!
:rofl: tricked me!!

I do not know about the hiccup question, sorry.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I wanna say that it is quite possible that the medicine went down the wrong tube, so to speak. As to how long it lasts.... that could vary by how much went the wrong way.
@Monica I am gonna tell that guy to give meds this way
So just tell me, is vet putting drop on her right side of the beak or the left one?lol Also, tell me if it's safe enough

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I honestly don't know that it matters which side the medicine goes in... I know a lot of people say it does matter when hand feeding, and most say to put it in the ride side via the left side.... crossing over, that is.

Dr Perry is doing drops from the right side.

If the conure enjoys the meds, then he could be given the choice to lick it himself. Alternatively, one could try mixing the meds into some honey, yogurt (preferably Greek type), applesauce or fruit juice to make the meds more appealing and easier to go down.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Thanks Monica :) I'm gonna ask him to do just the way Dr Perry did. Suggestions of everyone are welcome. Giving medicines with the food will be tried if nothing works out :)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I give my cockatiels meds the way Dr. Perry does in that video. They do sometimes still get it in their sinuses, but it's much less frequent than when I used to try and put the syringe deeper in their throat.

I'm curious, though -- Why did you not ask the person at the clinic these questions?

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
@Mohit Gaur

I was told it doesn't matter what side but you wanna do it very slowly. Alittle drop here, wait till it goes into the mouth, then repeat. Even if you don't get all the medicine on the first go give the bird a break and try again. Doing it slowly and giving breaks helps decrease the odds of aspiration. Hope that makes sense.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm not vet, sorry I can't help.