• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is it aspiration? Again?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I give my cockatiels meds the way Dr. Perry does in that video. They do sometimes still get it in their sinuses, but it's much less frequent than when I used to try and put the syringe deeper in their throat.

I'm curious, though -- Why did you not ask the person at the clinic these questions?
That guy from the clinic just kept on repeating that it's nothing much and it's birds fault that he was not stable. The basic problem in my country is that even the best avian vets (and veryyyy few of them here) are quite insensible! I remember ,once, in a state of emergency i dialled a vet who was treating a bird, she picked up the call heard the problem and cut the call! I called again and she didn't even pick up! It hit me so hard that I was off for the rest of the day....

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
@Mohit Gaur

I was told it doesn't matter what side but you wanna do it very slowly. Alittle drop here, wait till it goes into the mouth, then repeat. Even if you don't get all the medicine on the first go give the bird a break and try again. Doing it slowly and giving breaks helps decrease the odds of aspiration. Hope that makes sense.
What slow way can be tried if it's just one drop of it!!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
What slow way can be tried if it's just one drop of it!!
It was just a example I used, it's how my vet explain it to me. If the amount of medicine isn't that much the bird shouldn't be aspirating on it. Either there is something else going on with the bird or the person giving the medicine is putting the syringe to far in beak.

Could have just been stress from being held and given medicine.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
It was just a example I used, it's how my vet explain it to me. If the amount of medicine isn't that much the bird shouldn't be aspirating on it. Either there is something else going on with the bird or the person giving the medicine is putting the syringe to far in beak.

Could have just been stress from being held and given medicine.
I do understand your way! You're really helpful. Let me try giving him medicine this time, I'll try to be extremely gentle :) Let's hope everything goes in a good way, that conure is friendly with me too!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Have you looked into the mouth of a bird? Lack of a better picture the trachea is located before the esophagus.

There is a hole right after the tongue that leads to the airway, the esophagus is behind that. When we explain how to hand feed we always tell people to make sure the bird is head bobbing because they then have that airway closed. If you are trying to push the syringe into the throat area you are probably hitting his airway. Look at some pictures online at the inside of a birds mouth.