• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Actually, she seems to be doing a lot better today with her toileting and also seems calmer. She didn't pull on her leash today either! Perhaps she saw my previous posting! :D

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Melatonin and pheromone collars can also be good for anxiety.

I hope everything works out :)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
It was thundering here yesterday and oh boy! Was she a wreck! I had some Quiet Moments chewable tabs that I purchased the day I brought her home but she refused to eat any so I played calming music for dogs. The Quiet tabs have melatonin in them. Im researching calming vests and also the collar you've suggested. Thanks!

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Ok well the vet did a full blood panel today to see if she can be on anti- anxiety meds. This is a long standing issue with her that has never been properly addressed until now. I'll know mid-week if she can be on the medication.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Oona has all sorts of issues, mental health and other things! I should prob sign up on a dog forum for advice!

I'm still waiting for her to get on her anti- anxiety medication they had to redo her blood test and I'm waiting for a call back for an A-Ok. Backstory of this dog is that shes had five different homes since she was a year old so shes been tossed around a lot which probably contributes to her issues.

Shes afraid of everything but also acts like a maniac when out in public, at the vet she wants to attack any dog she sees. We have to keep her outside until shes called in for her appointment.

From there we go to every person she sees, in the car or at the vet, Petco etc she whines and and wants to run up to them like they are long lost friends of hers.

Then her potty accidents, shes been good for awhile but the last two days shes been having accidents again.

Another thing, she wants to sleep in the bedroom closet so I put her bed in there. Oddly, she will sometimes sit in the hall closet for no real reason at all, shes not afraid at the time she puts herself in there and if you try to move her out she will nip and become aggressive.

I wonder if they have dog psychiatrists?

I wont return her because shes been bounced around from home to home but I never bargained for this especially after losing my mellow shepard mix to cancer, I will admit its a bit disappointing. I have my birds to care for so its hard to deal with her many issues at the same time.

Im now tied to the house because of her as she cant be left alone. I told the vet I wanted to board her there while I leave on the weekends but she said that setting would probably just increase her anxiety. She reccomended a playcare/ day care center, I told her she doesnt get along with other dogs so how is she going to do at a playcare? She told me to try it anyway.

I dont know, Im just really frusterated and fear I will never be able to leave her alone, which will restrict everything in my life as well.

Anyway, thanks for reading this book :(

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Oona has all sorts of issues, mental health and other things! I should prob sign up on a dog forum for advice!

I'm still waiting for her to get on her anti- anxiety medication they had to redo her blood test and I'm waiting for a call back for an A-Ok. Backstory of this dog is that shes had five different homes since she was a year old so shes been tossed around a lot which probably contributes to her issues.

Shes afraid of everything but also acts like a maniac when out in public, at the vet she wants to attack any dog she sees. We have to keep her outside until shes called in for her appointment.

From there we go to every person she sees, in the car or at the vet, Petco etc she whines and and wants to run up to them like they are long lost friends of hers.

Then her potty accidents, shes been good for awhile but the last two days shes been having accidents again.

Another thing, she wants to sleep in the bedroom closet so I put her bed in there. Oddly, she will sometimes sit in the hall closet for no real reason at all, shes not afraid at the time she puts herself in there and if you try to move her out she will nip and become aggressive.

I wonder if they have dog psychiatrists?

I wont return her because shes been bounced around from home to home but I never bargained for this especially after losing my mellow shepard mix to cancer, I will admit its a bit disappointing. I have my birds to care for so its hard to deal with her many issues at the same time.

Im now tied to the house because of her as she cant be left alone. I told the vet I wanted to board her there while I leave on the weekends but she said that setting would probably just increase her anxiety. She reccomended a playcare/ day care center, I told her she doesnt get along with other dogs so how is she going to do at a playcare? She told me to try it anyway.

I dont know, Im just really frusterated and fear I will never be able to leave her alone, which will restrict everything in my life as well.

Anyway, thanks for reading this book :(
Xxx
I have a seperation anxiety boy and let me.tell you he had 4 rehomes in 1 year.
Ive found several things "help" but nothing has cured him. First: bless you for taking her on even with said issues you didnt expect. She may not know how to show.it but trust me she is ever so thankful to be out of that place. Second: human nature to be dissapointed that this dog dosent fit exactly into the plan...your sweet to realise she needs a permanant home and are willing to over look her issues and actually help her.

Several things have helped here.
Melatonin based products given on shedule without fail.
Having a "space" that is only "theirs" (sounds like she pickd a. closet).
Never making note of potty accidents or destroyed items to oona (my colby shreds like a beaver if not kenneled.
A kennel for when your away or unable to strict supervise.
Lavendar and vanilla calming collars.
Thundershirt AND tranq during bad weather.
Deconditioning...thats a tough one...but basically you desensitize them to picking up keys grabbing purse putting them in kennel...by doing it randomly for short moments at a time and build up.
Praise and reward when potty outside EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME EVERY DAY FOR AS LONG AS SHE LIVES. i.suggest a teeny tiny bite of her favorite treat as this will roughly be at least 7 a day.
Never ever use crate or "her space" for punishment. And treat/praise each going in and if by a miracle she hasnt soiled her bed in there then treat/praise on the way out as well.
Something with your scent on it in with her. (Old t youve worn 8 times and dont mind it getting destroyed).
Ive found fleece blankets less expensive to replace then beds and far easier to wash than dog beds.
BIG ONE THAT REDUCED ALOT OF ANXIETY HERE. Do NOT make a big production of leaving. (Goodbyes hugs kisses pets ect) simply tell her "kennel" toss treat in shut door and walk out. Sounds insaine..but trust me it helps.
When you get home..dont go get her out instantly. And dont make a big production of going in to get her out UNLESS its to treat n praise her not soiling.
Colby is also extemly high energy...if he isnt exercised properly it makes his anxiety worse. His currency is tennis ball throws...he will fetch them till he cant move hes so tired lol...so i wear his behind out if there will be a long kenneling time.

Basically this dog is unsure where she fits in the world what her job is whats expected of her who she can trust who is her friend. Her dog aggression is actually fear...it just manifests into agression because she is unable to self soothe.
She basically a toddler with extreme intelligence but overwhelming anxiety with four legs and pointy teeth. Diaper garments you can wash and simply put in a maxi pad are life savers and one thing time exp has taught me.....
1/2 vinager 1/2 rubbing alcohol solution will get the urine smell out of linens and carpet if you just soak it and let it dry.

Ps:vet is right...boarding will only rienforce that anxiety. Best if you get a sitter or kennel her.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Also sounds insaine?.but see how she does around a cat. Perhaps you can find a daycare place that will let her be in with the cats in a larger kennel but placed inside the cat room. If she does ok with them that is. My ruby dog is not dog aggressive but her splayed back legs and bad back make it difficult for her to be with other larger dogs. So when she is boarded shes allowed with the cats at our vet. It calms her and shell even cuddle with one if they are in the playroom. :)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Thank you for the advice! My vet has the thunder shirts on display at the clinic so I'll pick one up the next time we're in, which might be soon because she seems to be self mutilating now. She has a bloody sore the size of a dime that she somehow did this morning : sigh:

I might have to look for a sitter, I just don't think she's a good candidate for a playcare group and I feel it would be just a waste of time to get a behavior assessment on her beforehand to see how she would fit into a dog play group when she hates other dogs. Most of the day cares are dogs only, and don't have cats, I think she might do better with cats personally.

This morning at six I took her out to potty, she went both one and two, brought her back in, fed the conures and then I had to go into the lovie room ( door is shut in there and she's not allowed to go in there) to clean cages and feed them, while I was gone she had a bowl movement on the floor. I know it was probably insecurity while I was gone and I don't believe I was gone that long in there! I had forgotten what you had written and scolded her, now she feels bad and so do I. Tomorrow's another day...

As far kenneling, I'm not so sure about, at least at the vet I could drop her off while I do my weekend bird and grocery shopping and she gets walked 4 times a day and is also Kenneled in between those times versus leaving her in a smaller kennel at home while I'm gone where she wouldnt get any walks. It's going to take time for me to find her a sitter, in the meantime I might have to disobey the vet and board here there. Thank Goodness I have a very patient husband will do both bird and grocery shop until this situation gets resolved.

I do have melatonin tabs, I might have to sneak them in her morning breakfast bowl each morning.

Do you think she could wear the thunder shirt on a daily basis? I'm going to purchase the lavender and vanilla collars as well :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Provided she dosent chew it off id say she could wear the thunder shirt all the time.
Im sorry to hear she injured herself. Poor girl shes just a mess isnt she.