• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Introducing....

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This article may be of some help.

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Main thing is... don't boss them around. Don't force them to do anything. If they are acting fearful or afraid, back off. If they attack you, back off. Stop and think of what went wrong. How did you set them off? Is there a different approach you can take to accomplish the same task? Can you try going slower? Talking gently? Quietly? Calmly? What is it about you that causes them to react the way they do?

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Great article, Monica - I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!! I actually think it has many parallels beyond working with fearful parrots ;)

After reading it, even in my ignorance/arrogance, I actually think we responded to his aggression appropriately as I really backed off and we gave him his space (lady luck is kind sometimes!). I imagine that is why he really did come around very quickly once I changed my attitude. My attitude change was in response to a conversation with a friend that followed the general vibe of the article (she was coming at the problem from her extensive background performing physical therapy on all types of animals but not birds specifically and her profound appreciation for the sacred qualities that many tribal peoples attribute to the various species) As a kid, which is when I last had a parrot, I had a special way with critters that even the most fearful would come to trust me. I imagine that it is those very qualities associated with the heart of the article that I have lost as I have aged. So thank you again for sharing the article - I have found it helpful beyond just my dealings with our sweet little guy.

This really is such a great little bird and I am so thankful that we are lucky enough to have him. :) And in turn, I am thankful for this community who is helping us to raise him!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Indeed it does! :)

It's amazing how their behavior can change when we change ours. I love to hear people who change their attitudes, and it in turn helps the relationship with their birds! I just hate to see people try to 'dominate' their bird and end up causing more harm than good. Sure, both can result in the same out come, but at what cost to the animal? Why does an animal *have* to do a behavior when they can do that same behavior because they *want* to?

It's kind of like an eye opener. Makes you think differently, and allows both you and your feathered companion to learn more rather than getting stuck in a rut. Also allows the two of you to communicate better, thus better understanding between you two. :)