• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Introducing....

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Although his name may change in the coming week as we can tell there's a ton of personality packed into that little body but we just don't know him yet. :D What we do know is that I had it all wrong when we went to pick him up. I guess I was a bit naive as I was expecting a stressed bird (from his travels) but none the less a baby who would welcome comfort given the fact he was hand reared. Not so much. He hates us and me in particular (I'm the primary caregiver so there have been ample opportunities for him to demonstrate said hate) I had to do some tweaking of his perches once we got him home since they were awkwardly sized and spaced and were causing him to get flustered when he'd try to move about the cage. When I was rearranging them he would fly out and start attacking me. I wasn't nervous or scared but I am keenly aware that this is not how I want our relationship to be. I told him "No" and persisted with what I was doing so he wouldn't get the idea that he could boss me around. After that we gave him his space for the night and covered his cage with a sheet. Today he's in the middle of family life (twin toddlers, a six year old, and me banging around the house/kitchen all day!) and he seems to be doing well. He's eating and drinking great and he even tolerates me talking to him and he's eaten from my hand a couple of times (with a chomp of my thumb for good measure). I did notice that each time he's attacked (full on bite fest) I've been wearing orange or purple... at 9 weeks isn't he a tad young to hate certain colors already?!? Anyhow... once we're in a better place and I can take better pictures I will definitely share them! In the meantime, if anyone has any advice for how we can develop a more positive relationship with this little guy then I am all ears... or eyes.. whichever. :rolleyes: :heart: :dance4::laughing12:

photo(6).JPG

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
:dance5: Congrats! I don't know anything about them but he's cute!

staryberry

Meeting neighbors
How adorable! Congrats on your new baby. I'm sorry to hear that he has been attacking you, though. Perhaps it is coincidence, but the one object Mindo considers to be his nemesis is my orange and pink striped phone case. He goes into full attack mode when he sees it, as though it were a rival bird in his territory.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Oh just a baby! Hold food between fingers with fingers on side rather than top/bottom. They grab easier. Mine liked blueberries but some had to be cut in half if too big. Check out Tanya's vdios of Elliot. They do like sparkly objects to play with. They do like their beaks stroked gently. Wait until you see them sunbath as you will think they died! But it is just sunbathing. Congrats on the new baby.

Last edited:

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys - in spite of our rough beginnings we are definitely in love with the little booger. I sure do hope he gets past this biting thing though.

So staryberry - Mindo wasn't nippy when he first came to live with you? Was he a baby when you got him. He's from Jason Crean, right? How did you introduce yourself to him? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just trying to figure out why he's in uber attack mode :eek: Although, I find it very interesting that he attacks your pink/orange phone case... we wear lots of pink in my house with three little girls and I wear red glasses! Perhaps I need to look at some new frames?!?

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Ooh - thanks for the tips Sadieladie and the encouragement that they come around!! I was starting to think I'd done something wrong! I haven't been able to find any organic/domestic blueberries so I'm afraid I haven't even offered him some. I guess it's time to cross my fingers and trek to Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck, anyone?). And I have seen Elliot - I saw the videos of him when we first decided to take the plunge and find a breeder :) He's a handsome little devil! :heart: I imagine I'll find myself watching those videos again as a reminder of what we're striving for :lol:

staryberry

Meeting neighbors
Mindo was 7-8 months when we got him. He definitely looked more mature than Lafitte looks. We got Mindo from Jerry at Emerald Forest. We live in Southern California, so we were able to drive down to Emerald Forest and pick Mindo out. One factor we used to pick him out was that he seemed less bite-y than some of the other birds, so we haven't had problems with him attacking unless we are holding the dreaded phone case or when he is aiming for something else (like a necklace) and gets my neck instead (which HURTS! :arghh: ).

I have heard really good things about Jason Crean, though. He seems like he is a great resource, and might have some good training tips for you.

Sometimes when I feel like Mindo is getting too worked up, I give him a "time out" by lowering my t-shirt over him and cuddling him next to my tummy. He almost immediately chills out, and he likes to explore under there or settle down for a nap. But beware! There are sensitive bits under your t-shirt that you definitely don't want him chomping down on (which I know from personal experience!). Mindo also loves the kangaroo pockets on my sweatshirt, so that might be something to try with Lafitte.

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes when I feel like Mindo is getting too worked up, I give him a "time out" by lowering my t-shirt over him and cuddling him next to my tummy. He almost immediately chills out, and he likes to explore under there or settle down for a nap. But beware! There are sensitive bits under your t-shirt that you definitely don't want him chomping down on (which I know from personal experience!).
:rofl: I am getting lots of experience with the bite end of his beak... I'll definitely wait till he's nicer to try that calming technique, but it sounds like a good one. ;) I know that once upon a time my sun conure found the inside of my shirt to be relaxing. Right now I'd give anything to have any single technique to calm this little guy down. He really seems to just hate me :(

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Their beak is like a toucan. They are aracari which look like mini toucans with the smallest being a green aracari. The Ivory are one of my favorites but I have heard some talk of the wonderful pet quality of the Curly Crested aracari. My aracari did little biting. If she was mad at me she would bop me with her beak. she used her beak to bite clothing or to grab something and shake it. We were working on her catching food. The tip of their beak is used to squish food to the right size so that they can then swallow the item.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry I missed the intro of your baby and problems you are having. He looks wonderful, congrats! He may easily dislike something like a color. Pico hates the phone with a passion.
Try wearing colors that are neutral. Something soft green or grey.
Where is his cage located? Perhaps if he is in a high traffic area he is getting overstimulated from the kids and activity.
Give him patience, love and speak calmly. Offer food from your fingers and avoid the bite. You can say no, but not in a mean way.Being stern with them does not do much but cause a negative experience. Try to have only short sessions and end it on a positive note. Organic blueberries are great but not necessary. I just avoid Chile. Get some grapeseed or other fruit wash and soak them to remove any unwanted bacteria and pesticides.
Jerry from Emerald Bird Gardens keeps thousands of toucans and keeps their diet simple. He is on the yahoo ramphastid group if you want to join. Both he and Jason are also on fb.
Green Aracaris are the smallest of the toucan family.

echocharlie

Meeting neighbors
Hello again, all :greet14: Sorry to disappear like I did. Things were pretty dicey there for a bit and I was spending all of my energy nursing sick kids and babies and trying to forge a relationship with a surly bird. I was seriously thinking about asking his breeder to take him back - we just didn't seem like a good fit! :sad2: I contacted Jason Crean (not his breeder) and he was incredibly helpful and had lots of great suggestions... they were very similar to yours, Carol! :) And as crazy as it sounds, we had a miracle moment after he and I had a "conversation". I pretty much told him I respected his "toucan-ness" and that I wanted a fresh start. He hasn't attacked us since! :dance55: I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I was approaching him with the wrong attitude, I guess I've been working with dogs and small children for the past couple years and Monsieur Birdie Boy wasn't in the mood for an authority figure! :ashamed3: I've been meaning to put up more pictures lately but time seems to always be getting away from me. But he is definitely now a huge part of the family - in fact, I am happily housing one happy little bird inside my fuzzy jacket! He even likes one of my 18mo old twins and flies to her whenever he's out! Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement!!

I hope all of you and your respective fids are doing well and enjoying the Holidays!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so happy to read your update! That is awesome that he likes your child. I am glad you did not give up. I also went through a little bitey period with Pico, and he quickly figured out I was the best friend he was ever going to get around here, and he warmed up to me. :D He is now my pal and will sometimes lay his head over sideways on my hand while looking up at me. It is too sweet. You have a great Holiday as well. Pics would be nice if you can sneak some in. ;)