• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Id like to open up my home to a crippled parrot

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Hi, for a while now and I mean a few years Ive wanted to open up my home to one last bird and Ive wanted that bird to be a bird in need .. a crippled bird. I have a Greenwing Macaw who came from a 501(c)3 rescue with a wide array of issues all cet checked of course, a BF Amazon I stumbled upon from CL a few years ago that was in a decorative cage the kind you hang from the ceiling or use as flower decorative only ... those dome top ones .. Yeah, it was appauling. She was also blind in one eye. We tried to salvage her eye but the vet couldnt. and then I have my young-in a Hawkhead parrot named Gimby that came from a breeder in FL. My birds they get outside in their own 10x10 in summer ea has a in-home Java Tree and im in the process of ordering more Java trees for outdoor 10x10s. In fact, im waiting on Brent from A&E to send me pics of what they have in stock. Theyve got toys galore, theyve got bird heaters, warming perches, theyve got a lot more plus daily out time for hours and interaction and Id like to spoil a cripple bird in that way. It makes me sad to see a life that at one time was so vibrant to be so crippled and rely so much upon a human that at one time didnt care about them then to sit in a rescue in a home but not really their own home. I just really would feel complete giving my all to a parrot in need.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So are you looking for a fourth bird? :D

I am kind of the "house of misfit toys" :shy: I have quite a few special needs birds. Our normal day here is filled with medications, special diets, oxygen boxes and other misc routines needed by special needs birds. Once you have one and get used to the routine adding a second or third is not bad.

I am godparront to two handicapped macaws. They are not aware that anything is wrong with them and they deserve a home that treats them as if nothing is wrong. :D

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You might try checking in with the Rescues in the Rehome Highway exits (the sub-forums at the top) or any other rescues near you.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
So are you looking for a fourth bird? :D

I am kind of the "house of misfit toys" :shy: I have quite a few special needs birds. Our normal day here is filled with medications, special diets, oxygen boxes and other misc routines needed by special needs birds. Once you have one and get used to the routine adding a second or third is not bad.

I am godparront to two handicapped macaws. They are not aware that anything is wrong with them and they deserve a home that treats them as if nothing is wrong. :D
Hah! guilty as charged:shy: Yes, I am but to one with a handicap. Macawnutz I did not know you had special needs birdys as well. I think it takes a truly kind-hearted, generous and understanding individual to take-in and take care of special needs/handicapped parrots. Not many people are capable of caring for such or care to. And yes I absolutely agree with you special needs deserves to be treated like any other:)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
You might try checking in with the Rescues in the Rehome Highway exits (the sub-forums at the top) or any other rescues near you.
Ill check it out. I have been searching around and found a rescue who has exactly what I am looking for, in fact, they have a few handicapped parrots to choose but I will only choose one. Ive not contacted them because I'm not sure who I want to adopt, but Ive been looking at these two birds for over a year now. I Facebook stalk to lol:rolleyes: it brought tears to my eyes to see her get all sorts of Christmas presents last year. I'd love to give one of them a loving home and to go outdoors in the sun and just be loved to pieces along with the rest of my flock but it can be so hard to choose of the two. Ive done research on how to make her cage up and even laid out ideas on paper, but before I go barging in there asking to adopt Id like to volunteer there a bit and get to know the two birds in question. Im also waiting for the snow to go away because they a located about 45min out. Thank you though for letting me know where else to look. I appreciate it. I also went through the rescue I got Charlie from and they dont have as severe handicaps as the two I have my eyes on.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Where are you located? The rescue out in Iowa has a little birdie who would fit what you are wanting. Check out TC who was at another rescue (in Illinois) until that place changed hands and was relocated to Indiana.

MACAWS

Call Mike and see what can be worked out.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Hi Macaw Lover:)
Been awhile since Ive heard from you. Nice to hear from you again! I am located in MI:rolleyes:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Hi Macaw Lover:)
Been awhile since Ive heard from you. Nice to hear from you again! I am located in MI:rolleyes:

Hi to you too. Been busy and all but when I saw this post and knowing that TC has been in rescues for years, maybe he would want to choose you.

Mike always has home checks done and not sure if he Skype's or has any other people to help with that or what, but if after meeting TC and you two hit it off, I am sure Mike, being the nice guy that he is, can get something worked out for you.

TC deserves a family of his own to love.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Hi to you too. Been busy and all but when I saw this post and knowing that TC has been in rescues for years, maybe he would want to choose you.

Mike always has home checks done and not sure if he Skype's or has any other people to help with that or what, but if after meeting TC and you two hit it off, I am sure Mike, being the nice guy that he is, can get something worked out for you.

TC deserves a family of his own to love.
I'll reread TC bio. I was reading them all cant remember which TC was. It's so sad so many birds need homes and so many cases of abuse and negligence:sad1:
I look forward to home checks I like to "wow" people lol. I cant help myself/it:D even if they aren't coming to look at the birds that's just always been me.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I love special needs babies...but I do cheekies or littles/same size beaks.

While not handicap, @Jenphilly at A Helping Wing has a yellow collared macaw that is elderly and will likely require special care as time goes on.

Miss Anna flirting while hiding behind a... - A Helping Wing Parrot Rescue | Facebook
Aww Miss Anna:heart:
Thank you for all you do helping the cheekies/littles:hug8:

I am going to look around your Facebook just to see all the good you do makes me happy:)

I do have an elderly BF Amazon that arthritic and blind in one eye.

My heart is set on a Amazon, a med size bird, that has very little use of her legs. Size and type, for that matter, isn't what I am after it's just who ever has a severe disability. I'd love to be able to take a parrot with no use of legs that most likely sits inside all day and put her in the summer sunshine and line her cage with soft fleece and platforms, parrot safe heaters, and spoil with toys and a huge window to look out of. I have this whole idea in my head (as you can tell) but I may not end up with that at all. Regardless I'd like to bring in a crippled/disabled parrot no matter what size/type.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I think thats great what you are wanting to do ..best of luck :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is her leg permanently stuck like that? Or is she just giving a foot?

Yes, her legs are splayed. Her best friend is a BG that I'm also godparront too. They are both severe splay birds.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Yes, her legs are splayed. Her best friend is a BG that I'm also godparront too. They are both severe splay birds.
They'll have a wonderful life with you