• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Id like to open up my home to a crippled parrot

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
The Amazon I was looking at has been adopted which Im very happy to report but sad it wasnt me who could get her. Im sure Inhope she went to a very loving and dedicated home.

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
PEAC is my nearest recuse in San Diego, CA. Although far from where your at, I came across Abbi's story. He has lost sight in his left eye and the use of his left wing. He is about 30 years old. Not sure if you would like to adopt as you are a ways away but I wanted to let you know.
Abbi – Blue and Gold Macaw – 30 yrs old – Male

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
this is something im considering too..however...im having trouble finding many places un australia that rescue these birds....

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
PEAC is my nearest recuse in San Diego, CA. Although far from where your at, I came across Abbi's story. He has lost sight in his left eye and the use of his left wing. He is about 30 years old. Not sure if you would like to adopt as you are a ways away but I wanted to let you know.
Abbi – Blue and Gold Macaw – 30 yrs old – Male
California ismso far away and im sure thenrescue ants to do an inhone check but even if akype inho,e check would suffice to drive to or fly to CA would be a bit too much. Their ar parrots who need homs in my state I just have to find the right one:)

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
California ismso far away and im sure thenrescue ants to do an inhone check but even if akype inho,e check would suffice to drive to or fly to CA would be a bit too much. Their ar parrots who need homs in my state I just have to find the right one:)
That and the fact Abbi is 'particular' shall we say when it comes to women. It is one thing if the bird is close enough to visit a few times to see how things would work but for that distance, you are taking a big gamble things would not be good in Abbi's eyes.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I love special needs babies...but I do cheekies or littles/same size beaks.

While not handicap, @Jenphilly at A Helping Wing has a yellow collared macaw that is elderly and will likely require special care as time goes on.

Miss Anna flirting while hiding behind a... - A Helping Wing Parrot Rescue | Facebook

Sorry I have been so bad about being online....

Anna is not handicap, quite a feisty little thing... but she does require very special attention for her diet. She drops weight really easily so she needs to be carefully monitored. If anyone is interested in the pretty little lady, she does not do well around men, not sure what happened in her life, but she just freaks out and is terrified. We would love to find a home for her with a single woman or an all female home. Less stress for her the better!!

Thanks for thinking of us :)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
CA is to far away and im sure the rescue would want to do a in home check even if Skype is an option to drive to or fly to CA would be too much. Their are parrots in my home state of MI who need homes. I just have to find the right one:)

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Where are you located? The rescue out in Iowa has a little birdie who would fit what you are wanting. Check out TC who was at another rescue (in Illinois) until that place changed hands and was relocated to Indiana.

MACAWS

Call Mike and see what can be worked out.
Definitely recommend the Iowa Parrot Rescue, I volunteer there and the birds are amazing to be with. You would get along great with Mike, he is awesome. :)
(And the special needs birds there are very loving companions)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I've changed my mind I have to much on my plate with my parrots as is. With my 3 it is enough.

Zolathejardine

Moving in
I know it has been awhile since your posting looking for a special needs bird.... but there is a parrot rescue in Villa Park, Il. They have a conure,
LT.Dan. He has one leg. It is called Chicago Cage Bird Club or similar. I'm sure he would love his own family!

SunConure227

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
I've changed my mind I have to much on my plate with my parrots as is. With my 3 it is enough.
3 is definitely plenty - but as coincidence would have it I know of a baby orange-winged amazon that will need both his legs amputated due to rickets. He is only a couple months old - apparently the breeder went on vacation and didn't realize his birds had eggs. This baby and his surviving sibling have already been adopted by a friend of mine, but she is unable to continue taking care of him because of his special needs and is considering euthanasia.

I am thinking of adopting him, and actually came to this site looking for care tips and quality of life info for parrots without legs. However, since he sounds so close to what you were originally looking for I thought maybe you might be interested.