• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Kita is trying to lay an egg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am freaking out... everythign was all calm and quiet and then Kita started making weird noises and she is strainign and making these noises and her vent area is pouching out and there is some clear thick secretion coming from her vent area.... I have no idea if this is ok or if I need to get her help..... I am sorry for freaking.....please somebody with experience here let me know if this is normal or an emergency

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It sounds like egg laying activity. Is she on a perch or on the bottom of the cage?

The secretion is kind of odd? How much of this fluid? What comes to my mind is maybe the egg is broken and that's the fluid from inside the egg? Can you lift her bum and see that egg trying to come out? Or feel down there if you can actually feel the shell?

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is an egg... I can see she is trying to push it out.... what do i do????

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG.... the egg just came out she was on top of the cage and I caught it..... she has some bloody discharge ... the egg is not cracked

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Her vent area is nice and clean, still big, but no discharge now.....
Now what do i do??? Do I let her have the egg??? Do I need to anything different with her diet?
What do I need to watch for?

Please don't laugh at me.... I wasn't prepared for this!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Put the egg in the bottom of her cage on some clean paper and don't take it away. If she's planning on laying more she won't take an interest in it until she has layed them all.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I'm sure no one will laugh. I'm glad she's doing ok. This made me want to do some research in case either of mine (neither have been DNA sexed) start laying eggs!!
Her vent area is nice and clean, still big, but no discharge now.....
Now what do i do??? Do I let her have the egg??? Do I need to anything different with her diet?
What do I need to watch for?

Please don't laugh at me.... I wasn't prepared for this!!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thank Goodness for you guys!!!
I put the egg is her cage and she rolled it around a little and now she is climbing up to eat.....
So what do I need to watch for???

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I'm sure no one will laugh. I'm glad she's doing ok. This made me want to do some research in case either of mine (neither have been DNA sexed) start laying eggs!!
Kita is 8 and she has acted "hormonal" on and off but I had no idea this was coming and I will be researching my fanny off now.... I am really grateful it came out ok... I was scared to death when she started making all of those weird noises.....I thought she was going to die.....I was not prepared for this....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not much. The big event is over for today. :D

If it's a bigger bird it will take a day or two to build another egg if she's planning on it.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not much. The big event is over for today. :D

If it's a bigger bird it will take a day or two to build another egg if she's planning on it.
Thank you!!!!!!! I think I would have had a heart attack if you didn't come on and tell me what was what!!!
Thank you for being here!!!
:heart::heart::heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not sure what her diet is, but give her lots of veggies, sprouts, beans and rice.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not sure what her diet is, but give her lots of veggies, sprouts, beans and rice.
Ok.... Thank you!!!
She gets lots of fruits and veggies and she is on Roudybush rice formula... I will make up a bean, brown rice and veggie mash for her breakfast and I will pull the sprouter out

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG... I gotta go take some tums!!!!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Dianne, is Kita a Macaw?
Been through this a couple of times with mine...Amigo, B&G was the last one and like you, didn't know her sex at the time...she had "stopped" eating and I had her in the bed room in a "hospital" cage on the dresser...I had just gone to bed when I heard her "moaning" and it just got louder and louder...I got up turned on the light and "thought" she was caught "under" the perch! I got her out and had just handed her to Poppa when she Popped the egg out on his foot! LOL...She was fine afterwards...yes, there are times there will be some blood on the egg shell...Amigo laid two eggs and hasn't laid since...wasn't interested in the eggs at all....
Don't be "petting" her back, don't have her in a "dark" area and give her LOTS of good lighting for 10 hours a day...no more at this time....I also scrap cuttlebone into my birds fresh foods and cooked chicken also...
I have had others lay their eggs while sitting on their perches....breaking them when they hit the floors......
I wouldn't take the egg (s) away but see what she wants to do with them...
You did good!:hug8:

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
OMG... I gotta go take some tums!!!!
You did AWSOME Diane! I haven't had the pleasures of the "egg" thing yet... phew :o: but i'm sure it will be nerve racking for me too and scary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.