• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think Kita is trying to lay an egg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dianne, is Kita a Macaw?
Been through this a couple of times with mine...Amigo, B&G was the last one and like you, didn't know her sex at the time...she had "stopped" eating and I had her in the bed room in a "hospital" cage on the dresser...I had just gone to bed when I heard her "moaning" and it just got louder and louder...I got up turned on the light and "thought" she was caught "under" the perch! I got her out and had just handed her to Poppa when she Popped the egg out on his foot! LOL...She was fine afterwards...yes, there are times there will be some blood on the egg shell...Amigo laid two eggs and hasn't laid since...wasn't interested in the eggs at all....
Don't be "petting" her back, don't have her in a "dark" area and give her LOTS of good lighting for 10 hours a day...no more at this time....I also scrap cuttlebone into my birds fresh foods and cooked chicken also...
I have had others lay their eggs while sitting on their perches....breaking them when they hit the floors......
I wouldn't take the egg (s) away but see what she wants to do with them...
You did good!:hug8:
Whew... I may never get to sleep tonight!!! Yes, she is a Blue and Gold....I knew she was a girlie but had no idea she was this close to laying eggs....and I hope she doesn't lay anymore.... she has been trying to get to dark places since she I got her and I prevented her from that.....my husband is so easy going he was so calm and said that it was just nature taking its course... I didn't see it that way!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You did AWSOME Diane! I haven't had the pleasures of the "egg" thing yet... phew :o: but i'm sure it will be nerve racking for me too and scary :)
All I can say is that this forum is a Godsend..... I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't able to get right on here and find out what was going on and what to do.....there is nothing like the experience of the people on here!!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

my husband is so easy going he was so calm and said that it was just nature taking its course... I didn't see it that way!
He's right though. :D He's going to have to pass out cigars now!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kita is happily chatting away and eating like a little pig.... I think she is pleased that she figured out how to saty up past her bedtime

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:faint: great job, I can totally imagine myself reacting the same way!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really hope she never lays another one!!!! But she was really pretty cool with it all.... I am just glad she wasn't sick... she looked pretty crazed right before the egg came out (Bet I did too!!!!)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
she will be fine dear..provide her with extra calcium rich foods if you can like broccoli and kale.....it is scary indeed to watch....:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So glad that everything turned out ok :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Glad the egg passed good :)

I see she is already eating lots of veggies? Does she eat plenty of orange and red veggies and leafy greens?

I'd also scrape into her diet some cuddle bone if you already are not. You can feed her this through a form of birdie mash or spoon feed it through a formula concoction.

Make sure she is getting plenty of fats at this time too. So some almonds and walnuts. And me personally, if she is being fed animal products like egg and meats, I would eliminate that. :)

And make sure she is getting plenty of exercise and no cuddling and full body rubs!
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.