• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I killed my baby..

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I don't know why I didn't bother looking in his cage for so long. I heard him tweeting, I saw him playing throughout the day and I guess I thought everything was fine. But it wasn't..Why didn't I just look in his cage? I had 3 birds. 2 days ago I changed their food and water like always. My 2 eldest birds get their water first because it's in a tube and it's easy for me to spill. Binky's water is in a dish so I don't have to worry about spilling it as much. A hundred times I've set that dish down in front of the cage to put the tube in the other cage first and then I would pick up the dish and put it in afterwards. Somehow I forgot this time. For 2 days I was too busy with human life. I was too busy to play with my birds, I had my mind on other things. I assumed in all this time they had enough food, they had enough water, they had enough treats..but Binky didn't. I cover them every night and wake them up every morning and it took me until this morning to notice something horrifying. I had forgot to put the water in. It was just sitting there untouched right out of reach of the cage. I put it in and Binky rushed to get a drink. I watched him gulp and gulp but that was my second mistake. I sat there in the shock of my neglegance and watched him drink. He looked like he was recovering fast, I was so relieved. It occurred to me much to late that such an intake of water would cause hyponatremia. I took him in my hands as he started to aspirate and I knew in that moment that he wasn't going to make it. Within minutes he seized and stopped breathing. I tried to give him CPR but with the small body and rapid heartbeat of a Parrotlet there wasn't any success in it. He was already gone, dead because I didn't bother to check his cage for too long. Now I'm considering giving up being a bird mom all together. I couldn't bare for my irresponsible behavior to hurt my other 2 babies. Fly High Binky, I'm sorry I forgot about you. Screenshot_20180501-154236.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. I just don't know how I'm ever going to forgive myself. I'm so sorry to my Binky baby.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry about Binky.
:bighug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss of Binky. :sadhug2:

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so very sorry. One of my Linnies hung himself on a stupid toy I put in his cage a few months ago. I still feel awful and guilty. I'm just so sorry.

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm so very sorry. One of my Linnies hung himself on a stupid toy I put in his cage a few months ago. I still feel awful and guilty. I'm just so sorry.
I'm sorry about your Linnie. The heartbreak just doesn't go away does it? :sorrow:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss, too. :sadhug2:

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks, both of you. It's so hard to lose a family member like that, and it's so much worse when you feel it's your fault .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh that is so sad, I am so sorry this has happened to you and Binky.

Maybe allow your feelings to inspire and motivate you to have a new routine with your other two birds where there are no excuses for not doing what you feel is right for them. Let these feelings guide you into new patterns where you can make sure you never feel this way again. Learn from your mistake.

Your other two birds love and need you to help them through this time, let them comfort you and you can do the same for them.

You need to forgive yourself for your once off mistake, just remember to learn from the mistake. After all us humans often feel guilt and sadness as a way for us to learn......we do not like these feelings so we try not to put ourselves in the same situation again. Please do not beat yourself up for an honest mistake, it will not fix anything.

Love and best wishes to you and your bird babies :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good advice, @Shezbug .

I’m so sorry, @SamanthaAV . I have forgotten a cage before too, and they did not die from it BUT I once put the wrong lid/spout on a water container and they weren’t able to get water from it. So one died. I was so angry and sad!

Best wishes to you and your flock. :sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sorrow:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
So sorry. I accidentally killed my cockatiel 8 months ago when i left the door to the ferret room open. The ferret got out of his cage and killed her.It hurts so much harder when you feel at fault. In time, you will forgive yourself, and you'll never make that mistake again.
Don t give up on birds. These mistakes just mean you are a better bird owner than you were before you made it. Learn from it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
It was a horrible mistake but you didn't do it on purpose and you tried to fix it and it just went wrong. Like said you wont ever do it again and your other birds need you. I'm so sorry it happened and grieve and take the time you need to forgive yourself and maybe you can take in another little who needs you when your ready. We've all done things on accident or from getting busy and missing something and it really hurts. We're all here for you :sadhug:

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your words.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm heartbroken for you. But we are human and we all make mistakes.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss and the circumstances. Humans are far from perfect and accidents happen, so going forward try to forgive yourself and be the best caregiver you can for your other birds.
:sadhug2: