• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"I (hope) this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Puffin's quarantine ended yesterday. I was off from work, but decided to wait til hubby was home before we let both girls out together, just to be safe. :pinksmile: We moved Puffin's cage out into the walkway behind the sofa where I sit. Luv Bug was on hubby as usual as he sat at his desk and Puffin climbed out on top of her cage when I opened the door. They were both curious and it didn't take long for Luv Bug to fly over to me for cuddles and a close up. Puffin climbed down her cage and onto my shoulder to inspect. When she got too close, Bug flew off.

Then when Bug was sitting on hubby, Puffin climbed down me, across my legs outstretched on the footrest and up the fan (turned off) beside hubby's desk. She climbed up to hubby, got scritches from him and went up to his empty shoulder and settled there for a few minutes until Luv Bug started walking across the back of his office chair and Puffin flew off.

This continued in spurts all evening. Puffin seems to lunge a little when, but I think that is because she is still nervous. I'm not 100% sure, but I think she may just be bluffing to get Luv Bug to give her some space, kind of like her bluff "bites" to my fingers when she's done being scratched. Here's a pic when Luv Bug was climbing up Puffin's cage door and Puffin was on the top of her cage watching her. They stayed there for several moments before Bug flew off. They didn't get very close too often, but that's good that they're learning each other's boundaries and not pushing them. (At least not yet....)
Resized_20181017_141626.jpeg
Overall last night was a success! :victory: No one was injured and they must not have been too scared if they both kept trying to approach one another. :)

----------
This morning I was doing the dishes before work. The girls were both out and on the end of the bar where Buggy's bead maze and box of toy parts are. Luv Bug is on the left and Puffin is on the right. I couldn't believe how calm they both were and the just sat there! :blink: No crests, no attempts to get closer. They stayed like this the entire time it took me to unload the dishwasher and reload it, maybe 10 minutes? Luv Bug even had her eyes closed until I took this pic, then went right back to looking dozing. :swoon: I dawdled as much as I could but finally I had to leave so I wouldn't be late. Hopefully we'll have more of this soon.
20181017_141114.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All good signs. :hug8:

Keep your eyes peeled and on guard for many months no matter how good the signs are.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hopefully they will be friends but if not then hoping they will at least tolerate one another.
All good signs. :hug8:

Keep your eyes peeled and on guard for many months no matter how good the signs are.
Breath held and fingers crossed, but at least now we're feeling hopeful. :fingerscrossed:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Coming along nicely! Right now they're testing the feathered waters, but John's right. A strike could occur at any given moment. Hopefully they'll become steadfast little buddies.
Puffin looks great btw!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So you have 2 cockatoos and a mac? That is a hand full. Hope it continues to go well.
And the two green cheeks, but they generally keep to themselves. Scotty is hands-off but likes to dance with us and Harley is on eggs more than she is off, but as long as she's healthy we're happy (relieved)! :) Buzzard is a pretty low-maintenance, laid back guy. He's happy chomping on & "feeding" his toys and napping. I think he may be so sedentary because he was cage bound for so long, but he is getting better about wanting to come down and play. Hopefully we'll be able to play together longer and more often eventually. :xflove:

Luv Bug is the one that needs to be busy at all times. She's pretty good though when we have to go to work, but I know she needs more stimulation than the 15 minutes it takes her to empty the beads from her foraging toys after we leave. That's why we wanted to get her a companion. Even if they never become close friends, they will have someone to talk to and watch.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What a brilliant update and start to their relationship. I hope they do end up good buddies and that you have no issues with them getting to know each other :)

Gosh you have a really good looking flock.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:yah:

What a great first meeting! Such a beautiful pair of fluffy marshmallows. :swoon:

Hopefully they'll continue to do well together, and maybe in time become best buds! Two little miscreants on the loose, can you imagine...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I love that picture too! And Bug has to be pretty comfortable around puffin to doze on the counter next to her! That's awesome!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You caught some great photos! So glad Puffin's quarantine is done. What a great start they had, and I hope this will lead to a great forever bond. :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a great start!:dance4: I hope things continue to go well and they become best friends. That last picture is adorable!:heart: