• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Held a Jardines Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
I'm going there today! I love going there when I'm feeling down and just holding a baby parrot. They don't mind, unlike some stores that only want to take something out if you're gonna buy it. Its hard to leave though. I held my first gray there, and it was soooo hard to put her back and walk away.
It would be good for the baby parrots to get socialized (provided that ones don't carry a disease that can spread to other parrots).

Laura, Barbara is doing a presentation this week on Pionus and I believe there is a parrot trick demonstration/competition/show as well. Bring your babies!

Keiness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Keri
I'm so envious, I wish we had nice bird stores here to visit. Only pets unlimited's here, and everyone seems shocked when I go pet the parrots :confused:. Can't wait until I get to hold a Jardine! ;P

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
It would be good for the baby parrots to get socialized (provided that ones don't carry a disease that can spread to other parrots).

Laura, Barbara is doing a presentation this week on Pionus and I believe there is a parrot trick demonstration/competition/show as well. Bring your babies!
My babies are not very well socialized I'm afraid ... all my fault. :( I do believe Lucy would enjoy the experience the most, but I think for my first meeting, I'll come solo.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
My babies are not very well socialized I'm afraid ... all my fault. :( I do believe Lucy would enjoy the experience the most, but I think for my first meeting, I'll come solo.
Peter, I am definitely going to the meeting tonight.

I think I've changed my mind ... I'm almost certain I'm going to bring Lucy with me to the meeting tonight. I don't clip my birds and don't have them harnessed trained yet (keep meaning to do that) so she'll have to remain in her cage for the meeting, but she's my little attention whore and I think she'll enjoy all the attention.

petah

Real Name
Peter
See you & Lucy tonight! The meeting place is on Franklin blvd, left hand side right after you cross the rail road :) (going south on Franklin)

lzver

Real Name
Laura
See you & Lucy tonight! The meeting place is on Franklin blvd, left hand side right after you cross the rail road :) (going south on Franklin)
Thanks Peter ... I got directions from Google Maps and I'm fairly familiar with that area of Cambridge, so I should be able to find it ok.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
One of you guys better take some pictures!!

drop

Rollerblading along the road
I love Jardine's! Were I ever to consider another parrot they would be at the top of my list.

I don't mean to derail this post, but I am curious about bringing birds to parrot meetings, it is not something I would consider so I never really looked into it. How is this regulated to lessen the risk of disease transmission? Is only one person allowed to bring their bird(s)? Or is this just a trust thing between the members, assuming that the birds are tested and healthy (not that everything can be tested for...)?

Sorry to ask, but I always wondered why people bring parrots to meetings, how do the benefits outweight the risks?

Last edited:

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I love Jardine's! Were I ever to consider another parrot they would be at the top of my list.

I don't mean to derail this post, but I am curious about bringing birds to parrot meetings, it is not something I would consider so I never really looked into it. How is this regulated to lessen the risk of disease transmission? Is only one person allowed to bring their bird(s)? Or is this just a trust thing between the members, assuming that the birds are tested and healthy (not that everything can be tested for...)?

Sorry to ask, but I always wondered why people bring parrots to meetings, how do the benefits outweight the risks?
No need to apologize for asking. There are definitely risks to bringing your parrot(s) to meetings of this nature. I usually aire on the side of caution and have only ever brought my Senegal Jessie to one meeting because of some of the risks you mention. In the other parrot club I am a part of, there is a trust amongst members and I'm going to assume that this new club I'm going to is same way.

I find I over think things way too much. If you really think about it, someone with a diseased bird even runs the risk of coming to a meeting and transmitting the disease through people/birds. For me I'm looking to get my birds better socialized and I know quite a few people that go to these meetings and there haven't been problems. I think there is an implied trust by everyone that brings their parrot(s) to a meeting of this nature and we are fully aware of the risks.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I did get a few pictures ... I did get a picture of Pickles - Peter's Jardine's. It was hard to pick moments to take pictures because I didn't want to interrupt the presentation or trick show with the flash constantly going off. I'll take a look at the pictures tonight and post what I have.

Peter it was great to meet you and your wife last night ... Wasabi and Pickles are gorgeous! It was such a delight to get to hold both of them last night.

petah

Real Name
Peter
Hi Laura, it was nice to meet you last night & Lucy! Bring your husband next time and the other guys! I hope you had a good time last night! Looks like we do have some good representation of Pois last night! We almost have the full family there last night (Senegal, Meyer's, Red Bellied, Brown Head, Jardine's). Just have to get Natacha to bring her Cape and hope some lurker with a Ruppell's!

Lucy is beautiful and so calm (unlike Pickles who is so squacky!), hope both of my guys will grow up to be like that. If Pickles was in the cage she'll want to get out of the it for sure!

You are welcome to hold Pickles/Wasabi and play with them any time, they could use some more socialization before they start to fly, lol.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Did you take pictures Peter? :)

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I realized after the meeting, I didn't have the camera on the right setting, so most of the pictures didn't turn out. But I did get a very good picture of Peter's Pickles (Jardines) and a picture of a TAG, which also shows some other members and their birds that were at the meeting.

Cambridge-Parrot-Club-Pickles-Sept2011.JPG Cambridge-Parrot-Club-Sept2011.JPG

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
There were quite a few birds!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
There were quite a few birds!
I'd almost go as far as saying there were more birds than people. Pretty much everyone had at least 1 bird there and quite a few people had more than 1.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Neat.
Was there any that you had never seen before?

Status
Not open for further replies.