• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't want to do this, but I think waiting will make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
I am crying as I write this so near with me please. I got Mister because I thought he would be good for myth anxiety and he had been. Before getting him I wanted to make sure that when I eventually got to old to care for him myself he wouldn't have to get use to a new flock by asking my children if they would take him at that time. Of course this time is years away, however it had come to my attention that neither of my children want to be responsible for Mister as he is very vocal when he wants attention. Due to this fact I feel that it would be better for Mister for me to rehome him before he gets any more attached to our family. This will be hard enough on the two of us now and I don't want to wait and make it harder. I don't want to do it at all but it's not fair to him for me to wait and hope they change their minds.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any other relatives that would be willing to take him and send you frequent updates?
Edit: Also, if I were you, I wouldn't rehome him just because your children aren't interested in taking him. You said that 'that time' was years away. Who knows, they may change their mind, or you may find another alternative. And even if they don't change their mind, things may work out where you have him for the rest of his life.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope he finds a soft place to land.
It can help other members on here to say what state you live in, and maybe a little bit of information about Mister.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you have a rescue near you? or a bird club?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
No matter how young or old you are, and no matter how young or old Mister is, none of us can know when the curtains will fall. Relax and enjoy your time with him. You can still make arrangements for the future. You'd be surprised at how well animals can adapt.

And in the unlikely event that something does happens to you, make sure you have emergency care instructions written down, and for one of your family members to sign in to your account on here.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
We will all die, and it will never be convenient. Keep him. Tell your children that by doing their best by him, they'll be doing right by you - and that finding him a loving home is a fine way to do their best by him. We never know the end of the story until we get there...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No matter how young or old you are, and no matter how young or old Mister is, none of us can know when the curtains will fall. Relax and enjoy your time with him. You can still make arrangements for the future. You'd be surprised at how well animals can adapt.

And in the unlikely event that something does happens to you, make sure you have emergency care instructions written down, and for one of your family members to sign in to your account on here.

Yup. There are no quitters in this game my dear and you are quitting. "You" provide a great life for him no matter what the rest of the family thinks. He "is" family too already.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I agree with most here..........you both have potentially a long life ahead of you, you don't know what the future will bring. You may meet some one special that has a real affinity for your bird in the future and may agree to be a "godparent" at that time that something were to happen to you. You just never know.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m so sorry for your situation. My children have made it clear they don’t want my birds when I pass. I have to make other arrangements, I don’t know yet what that will be. I know how worrisome it is, I think about this every day myself.

Hope you can find that right thing to do for you and your bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I agree with everything that has already been said here. Nothing left for me to say but I hope you can work something out that makes both you and Mister happy :)

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I thought long and hard before getting Pampa. If Pampa lives out his natural life I will need to live to be 94. I have relatives that lived to 100. We all know of birds that died young. I do not want relatives taking Pampa out of a feeling of responsibility a sentimentality. I am putting money aside to go to the bird rescue that will be responsible for screening for a new home for Pampa if he outlives me.

Good luck with your decision.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Perfectly healthy people drop dead every day.

Sounds to me as if maybe you are for some reason feeling overwhelmed, and just want out. ...only giving MY impression from your posts on the thread. Honesty with one's self is the only way to fix the root of what ever the problem is. The stated reason: "I feel that it would be better for Mister for me to rehome him before he gets any more attached to our family." doesn't make much sense, from my perspective. Sounds like an excuse.

I would suggest that you try to find the REAL problem, and work with that. This board may or may not be a good place to work that out - I, of course, don't really know.

Best wishes for a good outcome for both you and your bird.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am putting money aside to go to the bird rescue that will be responsible for screening for a new home for Pampa if he outlives me.
An old coworker of mine and his wife adopted a 3yr old macaw when they were in their 50's. They have provided for him in their will and have arrangements with a sanctuary so they know he will be cared for.

in the unlikely event that something does happens to you, make sure you have emergency care instructions written down, and for one of your family members to sign in to your account on here.
This is a great idea, too. They can let us know what happened to you and find help either caring for him if they change their minds or post a thread here to rehome him then.

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all. You have really helped with this. I cried all day yesterday at the thought of him leaving me. It gave me the only answer I need, I can't live without him.
Mister will stay with me until the end, and my kids can find him a loving home if that's what's needed.
Thank you all.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We never know if our children will be able to take our pets. Children sometimes go before their parents do. You can however give this guy a great home and when you die, whenever that may be, he will be rehomed and have a new family. There isn't anything wrong with this. Many birds find great new homes when their first owners are too old to tend to them.

Make a book. Gather information about his vet history and dietary requirements and his likes and dislikes. His likes and dislikes for people for toys, etc. It's the best any of us can do for these long living animals. <3

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Thank you all. You have really helped with this. I cried all day yesterday at the thought of him leaving me. It gave me the only answer I need, I can't live without him.
Mister will stay with me until the end, and my kids can find him a loving home if that's what's needed.
Thank you all.
I'm glad. :heart: He would be just as distraught to lose you, whether it's now or twenty years from now. There's no reason for both of you to be suffering and pining for the other because you are worried about what will happen to him 'someday'. Enjoy each other!

I got Mister because I thought he would be good for myth anxiety and he had been.
I think this is the key to the whole situation. Your anxiety, this time for him, got the better of you.

The idea of making friends with another bird-person in your area to be a 'birdy godparent' is a good one, I think. Someone who can get to know Mister now, so that in the future, they can take him - either permanently or as a 'personal rescue' to find him a better fitting home - if the worst should happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.