• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am new here

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Hi group;
I am new here, my name is Denice and I recently purchased "Moto" an African Ringneck from the Finch Farm. The folks at the Finch Farm recommended your forum.

Moto is 6 months old, and was not hand raised. We have had him here about 3 weeks. He is very skittish and nervous. We are taking things very slow with him. I say "he" but I am not sure of his sex yet.

I have had a green cheek conure and a parakeet in the past, both were hand tame and sweet birds. But they were hand raised, so this is all new to me with basically a wild bird.

I will tell you about what we are doing and if you think I need to tweek something please feel free to advise.

We have him in a Prevue cage that is: 31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing. He has toys, dishes and several different size perches, he prefers a wood branch and his large rope hoop.
He is against a wall on one side and gets direct sun from a nearby window. I feed him the parakeet seed that Finch Farm was giving him mixed with Tops small pellets, he also gets once a day kale, with some fresh herbs ( thyme or oregano which I grow) and either sweet potato (cooked) apple, and or pear. He loves his sweet potato and fruit, and he is eating his pellets and seeds and pretty much cleaning them up daily. So far he mainly plays with the kale and herbs, but he might be tasting them I find bits on the bottom of his cage. Every other day weather permitting (we are in Florida) I roll his cage outside so he can get some fresh air and sun while I clean his cage pan. If it is at least 80 degrees I spritz him with warm water so he can get a bath, I keep the mist very fine and let him dry in the sun. His bed time is 8pm every night and I cover his cage and keep the room dark and quiet. I uncover him at 7:30 to 8am every morning. I am retired and home all day so I talk to him on and off throughout the day. I put my palm on the outside of the cage and talk gently but he scurries to the other side of the cage. I have also tried placing my hand very still near where I put his food dishes and just leaving it there still for 5 minutes or so making no effort to touch him.
He is eating well but not in front of me, he waits for me to leave the room, I have observed him from a distance around the corner eating though.
I should mention that when he arrived in his shipping box I had to gently cup him take him out with my hands to get him to the cage it was the only way, I hope that did not traumatize him too much.

Well thank you for letting me join and I go do some reading on here.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
:hello1::welcomeavenue:

Pretty bird.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
hello, Moto!
And Welcome!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Moto!

It sounds like you're doing a great job with Moto...carry on! Try holding a millet spray near him...and let him see you "eating" it. Make a big deal about the whole process...this could make him curious enough to try the millet, and he'll see your hands as something safe.

Also...think about taking Moto to the AV for a wellness check...it's always a good thing to establish a relationship with him/her, Moto, and yourself...:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Also...think about taking Moto to the AV for a wellness check...it's always a good thing to establish a relationship with him/her, Moto, and yourself...:)[/QUOTE]
Also...think about taking Moto to the AV for a wellness check...it's always a good thing to establish a relationship with him/her, Moto, and yourself...:)[/QUOTE]

Done, I am fortunate enough to have a vet that comes to my home, we have a lot of animals, chickens, turkeys, sheep, dogs and a cat. She gave him an exam and is bringing what she needs to do a baseline blood work when she comes back for spring check-ups.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1::welave:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Welcome to the Avenue. We just love new Roadies. Sounds like you are going to have quite an experience "taming" Moto. I put taming in quotes because that is not what you are actually doing; what you actually do is earn his trust and convince him you and he should be flock mates. This can take lots of time and even more patience. I recommend you start by sitting beside the cage at his eye level at least twice a day and either read aloud or talk to him for fifteen to thirty minutes each time. When you do this, you also take a high value treat with you and offer it to him; he will not come down and get it from your hand, but then you chuck it into his food bowl and he can come down and eat it after you leave. This links your presence with good food, and it is easiest to lure a parrot with food than anything else. Once he starts coming to the front of the cage and/or takes the treat from your hand, you are home free and the first ideas of trust have been planted in his mind.

Have a great time with Moto.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Hi and thanks for the tips. I do drop a goodie in his food bowl often when I go near his cage. A bit of apple, pear, banana, or sweet potato. There is no way he is ready to take it from me yet. I tried a tiny piece of tangerine today but I don't think he likes that one. I often sit about 5 feet away on a chair and sing to the radio, or just talk to him in a sweet light voice. I do this on and off all day since I am home with him 24/7. I do notice that when I cover his cage at night he isn't as jumpy, I think he is getting used to be covered at 8pm everyday.

Welcome to the Avenue. We just love new Roadies. Sounds like you are going to have quite an experience "taming" Moto. I put taming in quotes because that is not what you are actually doing; what you actually do is earn his trust and convince him you and he should be flock mates. This can take lots of time and even more patience. I recommend you start by sitting beside the cage at his eye level at least twice a day and either read aloud or talk to him for fifteen to thirty minutes each time. When you do this, you also take a high value treat with you and offer it to him; he will not come down and get it from your hand, but then you chuck it into his food bowl and he can come down and eat it after you leave. This links your presence with good food, and it is easiest to lure a parrot with food than anything else. Once he starts coming to the front of the cage and/or takes the treat from your hand, you are home free and the first ideas of trust have been planted in his mind.

Have a great time with Moto.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am very glad to hear you are taking his feelings into your taming rituals. So many people insist on handling them right away and ignoring the safe place idea of his cage is his place. You had said you had other parrots, so I guess you are not an actual newbie. Please let us know how he is doing on a regular basis. Taming a new, wild parrot is a challenge and a privilege and one of the hardest and most rewarding things I have ever done.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I am very glad to hear you are taking his feelings into your taming rituals. So many people insist on handling them right away and ignoring the safe place idea of his cage is his place. You had said you had other parrots, so I guess you are not an actual newbie. Please let us know how he is doing on a regular basis. Taming a new, wild parrot is a challenge and a privilege and one of the hardest and most rewarding things I have ever done.

Yes of course I am thinking of his feelings, I realize that he sees me as a predator and it is going to take time for that to change. I do feel bad about the things I have to do that I know scare him, like wiping the bottom of the cage, and replacing food & water dishes, I do so very slowly and quietly talk to him as I do. I know it was a set-back to have to grab him to get him in the cage when he arrived, (at that time I did not know he was not hand raised) and now I just have to wait it out. I also accept that he may NEVER be hand tame although many of the stories I read are encouraging. I am pretty much at his mercy for him to decide whether or not I can be part of his flock.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is so refreshing to hear someone say they are using the bird's predator view in their training. Please keep in touch as he progresses. So many new bird owner, even iif the bird had originally been a hand fed, accidentally ruin their pet because theydo not understand their pet is a prey animal and a flock animal and learn how to tame such. As humans we simply overwhelm our little mammal petd and call them tame. But you can not do that with parrots. You must win trust to woo the prey side of birds and then have the bird accept you as a flock member. I ffind it much closer to horse taming and training. Yet it is even beyond that when your parrot finally accepts you as flock. So hard to describe the feeling and the accomplishments.

Last edited:

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I find it much closer to horse taming and training. Yet it is even beyond that when your parrot finally accepts you as flock. So hard to describe the feeling and the accomplishments.
It is interesting that you say that. I have a background in horses, and dogs. Showed and trained both in my younger days. For me it was much easier to gain their trust, but I never trained a completely un-handled horse or dog which is what I am dealing with here, I guess similar to training a wild mustang. I do understand the concept that the bird has to choose me. I fret that cupping him to move him from shipping box to cage really damaged him and enforced that I am the big bad predator. It was a set-back for sure. Time will tell I guess.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Welcome to you and Moto!

It sounds like you're doing a great job with Moto...carry on! Try holding a millet spray near him...and let him see you "eating" it. Make a big deal about the whole process...this could make him curious enough to try the millet
He won't even eat in front of me yet, I think this might be a little premature for the stage we are at. Once he will actually eat food in front of me I will try this. Thank you.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Handling him to get him into the cage will be an isolated experience, and if not repeated will be forgotten rather quickly. His memory will be populated with memories of good food, cage cleaning and you talking to Moto. Keep up the good work daily and provide those tasty treats and verbal support and that is what he will remember and think about.
:dance5:
Hang in there and have faith in your ability to provide the care and good treats he will soon look forward to getting from you. :fairy2: