• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hut thingies

Friesian

Meeting neighbors
hi guys! A green cheek conure came to live with us about a week ago. One of the items that he brought with with him was a cuddle hut thingy. I realize I would have to monitor it for strangulation/chewing hazards, which is no problem, but my main concern is that I’ve read conflicting information as to the huts leading to hormonal/nesting behavior. I’d like to hear some opinions from some folks with personal experience regarding allowing these in the cage. So far it’s not included in his cage, but I’d hate to deprive him of something for silly reasons.

Thank for any input c:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I realize I would have to monitor it for strangulation/chewing hazards
but I’d hate to deprive him of something for silly reasons

I don´t think safety is a silly reason at all.
I personally don´t use them for that alone, regardless of whether it makes birds hormonal.

I have seen safer alternatives, and people making their own out of non pill fleece. Maybe that is something to look into.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
For me, after reading about birds who died due to getting caught or ingesting bits of the huts, I never wanted to risk it.

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah

Attachments

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Parrot Kook Resort Hut or Tent for Birds | Etsy

I use this one for my conure, and he loves it. It's made of fleece and seagrass and haven't had any issues with it. Perhaps a little less durable since he loves to chew out the bottom but it's worth the safety.

There's quite a few other handmade tents/huts on etsy so definitely worth looking around.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@PastTheDream I had your hut thing in my mind when I wrote my response but I went searching and couldn´t find the thread to link.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, they can contribute to hormonal behavior. Birds like them because they simulate a nesting cavity.

Yes, they can get their legs caught in the threads. I have personally had to cut a green cheek out of one before.

Yes, they can ingest the fibers and become impacted. This can also happen with rope perches or fleece toys if the bird injests the fibers.

We removed this enormous wad of material... - Bird and Exotic Animal Clinic | Facebook

South Dade Avian & Exotic Animal Medical Services - Photos | Facebook