• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is This Safe?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I think a lot of people here know the dangers of those soft Happy Huts sold for birds. While they look and feel soft and cozy, there have, of course, been horrible stories of birds dying or getting into accidents from them. I’ve never put a Happy Hut into my birds’ cage for that reason.

However, I still wanted something that my birds could rest on, without the problem threads and fibers. So, I took one large seagrass mat, bent it in the middle, and then took another smaller one, and connected them like this.
1F595CC8-21DC-45A9-9A80-93AA721315DB.jpeg
So the top part is one large seagrass mat just bent, and the bottom is a smaller one. I took zip ties and used them to connected the two parts together. I, of course, got rid of the sharp ends of the zip ties. Then I used more zip ties to connect it to the top of the cage so that it would hold well. And, just to be safe, I zip tied the back of the seagrass hut to the back wall of the cage. It now hangs securely in there. In the picture above, I hooked a simple plastic toy on the side of it, as well as threw a cardboard foraging box in there.

My birds do go in it (but haven’t caught them sleeping in it), and even love climbing on it and hanging from it. They seem happy with it, and it doesn’t seem dangerous. However, I’d still like everyone’s opinion on it. Does it seem like a good idea, or should I remove it? Thanks in advance! :)

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think its a great idea, very clever. You could always weave a popsicle stick along the edge on the bottom piece to keep it sturdy!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I made a seagrass hut using 3 mats...for the bird room. Too large for inside the cage. I connected the mats using some type of natural rope - I think it was coconut rope. I do find my birds using it. I see no problem with yours - only if it leads to nesting behavior or egg laying...but you have 2 boys, right? You could add some toys to the sides...balsa, mahogany slices, anything they like to chew.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
The hook you are using to attach the balls isn't safe. Other than that everything else looks great.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yep, the seagrass is totally safe. Although if your budgies are like Chirp, you'll probably need to replace it frequently, lol. My Chirp loves chewing on Seagrass mats :)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Yep, the seagrass is totally safe. Although if your budgies are like Chirp, you'll probably need to replace it frequently, lol. My Chirp loves chewing on Seagrass mats :)

:) Same here. It seems to be one of their favorite toys, both for chewing and climbing on. They use this hut more for climbing than resting in, but hey, whatever works for them. :D

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Awesome ideas! Going to have try that too!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yep safe! H&F have a circular one they now sleep in too:)