• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to export a cockatoo from Australia for non commercial purpose

amin021023

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys. Cockatoo are very rare and expensive over here in Iran where I live but my cousin's in Australia and I really love to have a cockatoo....so what would my cousin who lives in Australia would have to do to send me one or two cockatoos....I don't have any commercial or business interests.

and how much would it cost?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
According to this page, there is no way that my cousin would be able to send even one bird.
Yea. Your chances of exporting/importing a bird is slim to none. And seriously my friend, if you've never owned or looked after a large parrot before you really don't want a cockatoo. You'll be in over your head in no time.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Australia is very, very strict...none of their native birds can be exported out of the country. You might be able to import a domestically reared Cockatoo into Iran from another country other than Australia but I think Iran is pretty picky about what you bring in as well. You'd have to look that up.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Members are just posting links to support their statements that it is not possible. They want you to know that they are not just saying something without knowing the answer as a fact.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Maybe you could visit your cousin in Australia for awhile and see what cockatoo ownership looks like. Does your cousin own parrots?

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
why does everyone think I haven't googled this?
Googling doesn't do much at all. Most of those websites aren't reliable , and only state what you want to hear.
As an example. "They are great family pets and will do great with everyone!"
Chances for that is 1 out of 100. As cockatoos are known to favor people and aren't very good with everyone in most cases.
I think it's good there's none there, start small and just make use of what's there.
Most people return or rehome cockatoos in the first month of caring for them because they thought they would instantly love them, and be an easy pet.

My advice? Googling is a secondary info source, you need experience or at least know what they're like (not from videos, in person)
But, to spare all of the work, just don't get one . Leave it to the professionals, start small :)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Australia is extremely strict when it comes to exporting their native wildlife. You can't get Australia native hermit crabs (with the exception of one person in the US who has managed to breed hermit crabs in captivity which is quite a feat, I've heard they alone can get Aussie crabs in the US) it's even difficult to bring pets like dogs into the country.
After all animals like cane toads and rabbits have wrecked havoc on their native ecosystems so they need to be paranoid about it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Googling doesn't do much at all. Most of those websites aren't reliable , and only state what you want to hear.
As an example. "They are great family pets and will do great with everyone!"
Chances for that is 1 out of 100. As cockatoos are known to favor people and aren't very good with everyone in most cases.
I think it's good there's none there, start small and just make use of what's there.
Most people return or rehome cockatoos in the first month of caring for them because they thought they would instantly love them, and be an easy pet.

My advice? Googling is a secondary info source, you need experience or at least know what they're like (not from videos, in person)
But, to spare all of the work, just don't get one . Leave it to the professionals, start small :)
Start small but at no time think that a smaller bird of any kind is a "beginner" or a "throwaway". Smaller birds have their own personalities too and can be just as loving and caring as bigger ones. No offense intended to you, but we've had many people visit and ask about a "good starter bird". There is no such thing.

Big birds are beautiful, I admire them immensely but I also know that I would not do well with them. It isn't a matter of domination, it is a matter of mutual respect and equal treatment. Look at it as having a HUGE CRUSH on someone and then finding that they are extremely high maintenance. As in that person you like wanting to know where you are, when you're coming home, how long you'll be and wanting all your attention once you get home. No time for dinner in a different room, down time watching TV, playing electronic games, no going out after dinner, being pooped on, wanting attention 24/7.

Import/export restrictions on wildlife or most exotic animals is getting more restrictive and for good reason since many are disappearing in the wild unless protected. Try finding a smaller bird available in your area. Sorry for the overload but too many people get a large bird because it is almost considered a trophy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@JLcribber @cassiesdad You should link him to part of your toos stories. The wood chipper stories are a good indication of the remodeling a cockatoo could do to anything within its reach. And they need stuff to chew and destroy (even small parrots do) or they get bored and it can affect their health.

@amin021023 I would also suggest that you visit YouTube and view some of the cockatoo videos. Make sure that the volume is on maximum. Remember that while some of the situations look funny (for us watching) that behaviour is something the people in the videos really live with. Keep in mind that the bird you get may also never like you or your family or, worse yet, love the one person who isn't interested in them.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
It may be possible that when he said he googled it already, that he was referring to the legality of it and was expecting us to give him some kind of workaround of the law.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I think we get alot of questions by people fishing for a possible alternative to all they've been told or heard anywhere else they've asked. I wouldn't mess with customs in any country for the fear of (a) being arrested myself and (b) if trying to smuggle anything living, watching it being seized and knowing it would be euthanized. That's my personal take.