• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to export a cockatoo from Australia for non commercial purpose

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There are so many TOO's for sale here in OZ and so little to dissuade potential Parronts from buying them! I am sure we already have a similar homeless and abuse situation like so many other countries around the world, but that is the inevitable fate of most toos without doubt! There are of course reputable sellers that will not sell to those who "think" how easy it is to look after such a high maintenance and intelligent sentient being! Laws have to change, but that won't happen in my life time! :( I was watching a Parrot video with Pilo recently (look who is talking) and after seeing the Insane birds there who ended up that way from neglect... it brought tears to my eyes! So very, very sad!

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
But the sad part is that a seller might sell to someone who appears to be compatible but even with small parrots one has to have alot of patience and tolerate the noise and mess that comes with them. I believe too many people see the pretty bird (that belongs to someone else) which is well behaved and socialized and think it's a breeze to have a similar companion. The amount of work that goes into having that (visually) "perfect" companion is never asked about - it is always assumed that if your bird is X years old it only took X-10+ years to make it that tame, socialized and wonderful.

I love having friedly fids but visitors often think that they're born that way.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There are so many TOO's for sale here in OZ and so little to dissuade potential Parronts from buying them! I am sure we already have a similar homeless and abuse situation like so many other countries around the world, but that is the inevitable fate of most toos without doubt! There are of course reputable sellers that will not sell to those who "think" how easy it is to look after such a high maintenance and intelligent sentient being! Laws have to change, but that won't happen in my life time! :( I was watching a Parrot video with Pilo recently (look who is talking) and after seeing the Insane birds there who ended up that way from neglect... it brought tears to my eyes! So very, very sad!
Wait! I'm confused. I swear I read here on this forum that you had to apply for a permit or license to at the very least own native bird? I couldn't be wrong thou. Could someone please let me know or point me to the direction of some info. I'm curious how things work in Australia. I was under the impression the Australia had robust protection of it's wildlife. Which I truly hope it does. :)

@Lodah sorry not trying to pick on you or anything. I'm just really curious:)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wait! I'm confused. I swear I read here on this forum that you had to apply for a permit or license to at the very least own native bird? I couldn't be wrong thou. Could someone please let me know or point me to the direction of some info. I'm curious how things work in Australia. I was under the impression the Australia had robust protection of it's wildlife. Which I truly hope it does. :)

@Lodah sorry not trying to pick on you or anything. I'm just really curious:)
Endangered species Yes! Native, no!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
But the sad part is that a seller might sell to someone who appears to be compatible but even with small parrots one has to have alot of patience and tolerate the noise and mess that comes with them. I believe too many people see the pretty bird (that belongs to someone else) which is well behaved and socialized and think it's a breeze to have a similar companion. The amount of work that goes into having that (visually) "perfect" companion is never asked about - it is always assumed that if your bird is X years old it only took X-10+ years to make it that tame, socialized and wonderful.

I love having friedly fids but visitors often think that they're born that way.
So very true! As soon as my visitors see Pilo, they immediately want to get one! I show them some photos from AA and they change their minds quick as a wink! At least the injuries sustained by those people did not happen in vain! Plus they cannot believe the amount of time, patience and love that is required to keep em happy and content! No holidays, no late nights, no sleep ins and the list goes on! :rofl:

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Endangered species Yes! Native, no!
Oh interesting!! I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up :) In Ontario you are not allowed to keep any native animal without a special permit. I wish I knew more about these things. Anyway I'd love to visit Australia one day :)