• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do you change their cage configurations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I was just thinking about re-designing Charles and Lola's cage configurations in their entirety and was wondering how often you do the same. Or perhaps you only rotate toys... or one thing at a time... or just perches? What's your method? How much do you change, and how often?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no method :o: If things start to look dull or dingy, I rearrange or order new toys and perches. It's just a matter of atmosphere :)

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
Every time I get them new toys, perches, or completely empty the cage for cleaning.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have no method :o: If things start to look dull or dingy, I rearrange or order new toys and perches. It's just a matter of atmosphere :)
Would you estimate that this is closer to say once a week or once a month or every other month?

Every time I get them new toys, perches, or completely empty the cage for cleaning.
Same question... how often do you get new stuff, or do you do a full cage cleaning?

Sorry :o: just trying to get ideas here.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I don't really have a method, or a frequency...I just generally get sick of the layout of something and then I have to rearrange it! As for now, I'm pretty content with the budgie's set up. I've left it alone and they seem content. Akira is getting a larger cage so I'm going to be doing quite a bit of arranging there :D
And I change up Archie and Ella's cage more frequently than the rest. It's going to be easier when they are in cages next to each other again, but not sharing. More space for all the stuff I have!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would say at least once every 3 months I completely rearrange everything in their cage. Toys get rotated on a weekly basis but I dont do the entire cage weekly

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would you estimate that this is closer to say once a week or once a month or every other month?

I'd say I do it more often for the big guys and the p'lets--once a month for rearranging toys, less often with perches. With those, if I find a configuration that maximizes mobility and ease, I'm likely to stick with it for the most part. For the minis, they're out all day every day, so I don't mess with their cages as much, so more like every 2 or 3 months. They get new stuff attached to their stands, net, atom....

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I never really do and even if I switch out a toy I put the new in the same spot as the previous one. Squeeky starts to have really bad night frights when I rearrange stuff in his cage so I just leave it. It isn't worth him getting hurt. I wish I could change things.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I never really do and even if I switch out a toy I put the new in the same spot as the previous one. Squeeky starts to have really bad night frights when I rearrange stuff in his cage so I just leave it. It isn't worth him getting hurt. I wish I could change things.
Same thing for my tiels. I can and do change the conures and Kiwi's setup every few months and change the toys whenever they need it too. Sammy hates it when I change her cage, she gets really anxious and nervous/mad so I don't do her cage very often either.

evsrin

I rearrange everything but Tiki's sleep hut. I probably do that every 1-3 months depending on how he's acting with his toys. If I put new toys in there and he doesn't touch them for a month then I don't want to go switching them out right when he shows interest.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
When I remove everything to clean the cage really well nothing ever goes back the same way - except for Billy's his has to be the same way its been all his life or he freaks out

but the rest of the birds don't care how their stuff is set up so i can play around with theirs

perches are normally always the same - only so many ways I can put them where they don't constantly poop in dishes or on other perches

but their toys are never put back the same way - I can't even remember how they were by the time i take everything out clean it and put it back lol

For Billy's cage I have a picture to go by or I only remove things that can't get wet because it takes for ever to dry Like his 2 pieces of fleece that is clothes pined over top of his sleeping perch

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
My grey's don't really seem to enjoy when I rearrange thing's to much..so I try to leave things as is unless I am replacing old toy's for new fresh one's. I will say my congo is a little more tolerable then my TAG, but even with the CAG I have to be carefully cause she get's night frights quite easily.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Whenever I feel like it..which I really can't give a frequency on it.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
I change stuff up on Rain weekly. Half her toys and usually a perch every weekend.

With the budgies when I find something that works it tend to stick for a while.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I used to do it every month or two, but with Jasper's big cage and the budgies having the whole office to themselves, I probably only do it a couple of times a year now. It gets done with the big "take EVERYthing apart and hose it down" cleanings though, mostly because I'm never going to try to make the effort to put it all back together how it was, :hehe: Those cleanings suck though, none of the cages fit though my doorways so they have to be completely disassembled. And I'm single, so I have to put them all back together again by myself. :eek: Huge project when I do it.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I used to do it every month or two, but with Jasper's big cage and the budgies having the whole office to themselves, I probably only do it a couple of times a year now. It gets done with the big "take EVERYthing apart and hose it down" cleanings though, mostly because I'm never going to try to make the effort to put it all back together how it was, :hehe: Those cleanings suck though, none of the cages fit though my doorways so they have to be completely disassembled. And I'm single, so I have to put them all back together again by myself. :eek: Huge project when I do it.

that is why I started to just use buckets and take one with cleaner + water in it with my scrubber, rag etc. and one with clean plain water (to rinse off everything) and of course towels I make a huge mess! (leave it up to me to dump water every where and only get the carpet soaked and none of it touch the shower boards which are a lot easier to dry lol)

takes me a lot longer but in the end it was a shorter process for me than to take it all down and put it all back up

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh:i change toys but i won't change perches or food bowls. i'd rather not fix what isn't broken.:D

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh:i change toys but i won't change perches or food bowls. i'd rather not fix what isn't broken.:D
I change toys around a lot, but don't usually mess with perches or food bowls. Once I find a good set up that they like, and that works, I don't mess with it. Takes a lot of "positioning" to get perches in just the right spot where they're not "poop" catchers .. same with bowls .. lol .. once they're in the "sweet spot", they don't move :lol:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I change toys around a lot, but don't usually mess with perches or food bowls. Once I find a good set up that they like, and that works, I don't mess with it. Takes a lot of "positioning" to get perches in just the right spot where they're not "poop" catchers .. same with bowls .. lol .. once they're in the "sweet spot", they don't move :lol:
That's so interesting that you both mention this, as I have heard many others as well. But I don't think I have ever had this problem with either Charles or Lola. In fact, I change Charles's food bowls pretty frequently to keep him guessing, since budgies are so prone to obesity and he refuses to forage. Lola's I don't simply because I use the built in feeders in the doors right now, but since her EH cage won't have those, I am guessing I will switch them up almost as often as I do Charles's.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Weekly for toys, but only 1 x a month or more for perches and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.