• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many Birds Per Cage?

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
So, I have enough room in the room I want to put small birds in for either a 24(L) x 14(w) x 30 (h) cage or a 18(L) x 18 (w) x 24 (h) cage. How many birds could be healithily in either of these cages? Note that the height can be a little higher if needed, but the length and width are not.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
2 finches in either maybe. 18x18 is the smallest recommended for one budgie.

Budgie Cage Size Calculator - (Parakeet Cage Calculator) has a good calculator

Birds need horizontal space, not vertical as much. Their wings extend horizontally and that's the direction they fly, not up and down.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the advice! Is there a way to have cages that almost have different levels? As in, it basically would give one bird more room. I'm thinking about getting a male and female budgie and a cockatiel of any gender. (if anyone knows what cockatiel gender would work best for this, that would be awesome)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like you are looking for stacking cages.
If 24" is your limit on width, I'd go for at least 24x18, or preferably 24x24". That would be enough room for a pair of budgies or cockatiel, if they get out enough. You might need to purchase a light fixture for the lower cage.
Birds do prefer to be up higher, but stacking cages can work if you're considerate of the bottom bird.
Avian Adventures makes a very, very nice 24x24" stacking cage, it's a bit pricey though. The good part about it is you can buy an expansion kit to double the cage sizes if you have more space later on.

It's the avian adventures multi-vista.

If you can spare a little bit more room, a stacking flight cage (32" wide) would be cheaper and give them more space though.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds need horizontal space, not vertical as much. Their wings extend horizontally and that's the direction they fly, not up and down.

I wish the Vision cage manufacturers would listen to you! Many members have these as a first cage for first bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wish the Vision cage manufacturers would listen to you! Many members have these as a first cage for first bird.

I know, I hate those cages!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I keep. Finches and i use 30x18x18 cages for 2 birds.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
hmm. Do you know of any 24 x 24 cages that aren't super tall? I keep on looking up 24 x 24 and getting very tall ones as a result

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Even if I don't have enough room for a cockatiel, I'm hoping to find a 24 x 24 for the little budgies^^ but everything I keep finding is way too tall for the space I have. Also, sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm very new at this

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Once you get up to 24x24" cages, they usually come with a stand which might be why they seem so tall. Generally the largest cages you see that don't have a stand are 24x20" - bigger than that and they are hard to carry.
Something like this cage would be fine for 2 tame budgies, if you're limited to 24" wide (it's 23.5" square).

Even though it's still taller than wide, that doesn't really matter so long as there is enough actual floor area to the cage.

Although, if you could spare a few more inches width, you could get a smaller flight cage.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Once you get up to 24x24" cages, they usually come with a stand which might be why they seem so tall. Generally the largest cages you see that don't have a stand are 24x20" - bigger than that and they are hard to carry.
Something like this cage would be fine for 2 tame budgies, if you're limited to 24" wide (it's 23.5" square).

Even though it's still taller than wide, that doesn't really matter so long as there is enough actual floor area to the cage.

Although, if you could spare a few more inches width, you could get a smaller flight cage.

Haha! I was actually viewing this a few hours before you suggested it! I'm keeping that one in mind!

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
The actual size available for the birds are an inch smaller so it is 25 x 13. It is a little small but would do for budgies if they got out of cage time. Have you looked at the preview flight cages? 30x18x18. Not as decorative but a nice size.
Have you seen this one. It is a little small but my two budgies are comfortable in it.

Super Deal 53"/61"/68" Large Bird Cage with Stylish Play Top Parrot Chinchilla Cage Macaw Cockatiel Cockatoo Pet House, 53 inch Amazon.com : Super Deal 53"/61"/68" Large Bird Cage with Stylish Play Top Parrot Chinchilla Cage Macaw Cockatiel Cockatoo Pet House, 53 inch : Pet Supplies

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Normally a “flight” cage is 36” tall.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
The triple roof cage is very small for cockatiels or for budgies, though the latter could be OK in it if given lots of out time.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Huh, I keep on looking for an actual square 24 x 24 without a stand, but can't seem to find one :/

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Yea when I was looking for a cage for my budgies I would find a cage I liked but the bar spacing would be too wide.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Finches need width. They need wider than high. Most small birds need a flight area unless they are out everyday. :) Oh, google flight cages and you will find what you need.