• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you dry your parrot after a bath?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I take my amazon into the shower with me, she likes that.
Then i dry my head, and wrap Luka into the towel, she seems to prefer it that way, and a blow dryer makes her freak out! I do turn up the room temperature, and watch for shivers and all :)

My two little Senegal dragons, they bathe in their water bowls :( they dont like showering or the sink, but boy do they like to mess in the waterbowl :) they also do airdry :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow, shocked so many mentioned hairdryers. Let's be clear, if your hairdryer is made with any Teflon parts, and most are, it could kill your bird. Safe hairdryers have to be researched and found, the safe ones are not usually the ones you just find at the stores. :)

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Another note, many birds quiver post-bath not because they're cold but also to dry their feathers. I've given baths and then put them outside in 80+ degree weather here in FL and they are still quivering/shaking. I let all of the birds air dry that way primarily because I do not have a safe hair dryer and also like to encourage preening. Now, if it's cold in your house then they would probably be shaking due to the cold, but 78 degrees really isn't all that cold. Even 70 degrees is very tolerable for our birds.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Hair dryer for sure. It's -1 degrees here and my heat runs pretty much non-stop to keep my old farmhouse at 63! Luckily the only room in the house that gets really warm is the bathroom, Fritz LOVES to sit on the counter and get dried off!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I only shower them when I know there is time for them to air dry and preen themselves. Sometimes they take it upon themselves to bathe in which case they air dry.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The gccs, Quakers & sun will take baths on their own so they usually just air dry since changing the water in the morning usually triggers mass bathing. The tiels on the other hand, will come and sit in the heart shaped bathing bowl on the window sill between the kitchen and family room. That's my cue to start misting them while they sit in the water (and drink it). :bash:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine bathes in her water bowl. After her bath she will go to her long fleece toy, spread her wings to get any excess water off then walks around the fleece for the rest of her body. Then its the playtop for warmth from her light and takes a nap!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Pilo goes over to HIS towel on the rack and dries his head first... THEN, waits for me to open the towel and then proceeds to jump on and let me fold him in! A lot of wriggling and VOILA... dry birdie!
That's how we do it here, too.:dance55:

When we all lived in ND with high ceilings, too, air drying was still the norm. I preferred a heated bathroom and so did they. Everyone had a different colored towel and went to it to dry.

If for any reason they didn't dry enough, each cage had a special SLIGHTLY heated perch to sit on. :batnana:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Definitely okay to air dry. Even if it was 70 it would be fine, especially if you have a nice sunny window they can sit by after.

Last edited:

Aviana

Strolling the yard
My little guy air dries. I just bump up the temp on the air conditioning, so it is not blowing cold air on him. In winter I will bump up the heat.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
It depends on which bird, Sweet Pea will bath in her water dish, until is soaking wet. Then wants to cuddle with mom. Bebe bathes in his water dish too, but he is not cuddle bug, he goes to the top of his cage and preens his self dry.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After I give Gigi a spray bath, I hold her in front of the mirror and say "Shake it off!" over and over. She goes nuts shaking and I go crazy complimenting her. Then I put her on her rope perch on top of her cage and she gets to work with those feathers. I haven't had her during really cold weather so I haven't worried about her being wet and out in the condo. Maybe we will stay in the bathroom longer when it's cold again.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All of our littles like to fluff up and dry in the sunshine after getting wet.

Milton enjoys doing the same...but he won't miss the chance to crawl into my shirt to dry off there...:rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's exactly why I started the towel thing! I got tired of walking out wet only to get wetter.
...my way of solving the problem is just take a shower with Milton...that way I'm already wet...;)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Most of mine wouldn't consider that! :nana:
Even shower perches only get used for hiding. Plus, they're a great place to stash stolen goods. They have all day to "hock" them. :shrug3:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If Waffle bathes in the water bowl, s/he snuggles up against the fleece perch to dry off. If we do a shower, I wrap Waffle in a little bamboo wash cloth and dry off that way. Of course, the final cycle is always the "fluff dry." :D