• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you dry your parrot after a bath?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
... hairdryer?

... Air dry?

Before I bathe my parrot I set up his/her cage with a blanket covering 3 sides of the cage and hook a hairdryer to the outside of the cage. I turn on the hairdryer and it heats the cage while I am bathing my parrot. After bath time I place my bird in his/her preheated cage as they dry. Keeping a close eye on the parrot, of course. My birds just love it! They preen and fluff as they dry its kinds like a ... sauna? I have also just used the hairdryer as you normally would to dry, but they don't tend to like it as much as the other way.

So, how do you guys dry your birds?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I shower him early in the day and he has the rest of the day to preen and air dry

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
My little guys takes a bath himself and likes to rub on his cotton perches and preen and air dry after :)
That hot cage sounds cozy!!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
My little guys takes a bath himself and likes to rub on his cotton perches and preen and air dry after :)
That hot cage sounds cozy!!
I wish my birds were self sufficient like your little guy! Then I wouldn't have to come up with these crazy ways to dry them.
In the winter they love it. On a HOT summer day I shove them outside, in the aviary, in the sun.:rolleyes:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any way we dry them is fine. The only consideration is when using a (safe) hairdryer that they are not dried completely but always left a little bit damp so that the grooming and preening they do upon completely drying is done properly like it would be if they air dried.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Any way we dry them is fine. The only consideration is when using a (safe) hairdryer that they are not dried completely but always left a little bit damp so that the grooming and preening they do upon completely drying is done properly like it would be if they air dried.
Thank you. I do this already.

Perriewinkle

Ms. Felicia takes her baths with me. Right now she's on about a weekly rotation where she wants a bath. I always preheat my bedroom while we shower, then turn it off and set her on the bar stool in my room so she can preen while I dry off and dress.

She seems to enjoy it just fine. If I'm fully dressed and ready to be out of the room, I generally sit with the door open for 5-10 min so she can adjust to the temp difference and then set her back in her cage.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Showers are given early in the day. Secret goes to the wingdow and makes use of the sun over there.

MC just hangs out and air dries.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles likes both water bowl bathes and showers. I usually let him air dry, but if it is late or cold I will wrap him in a towel :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby is fine with air drying when it's warm enough, it also turns out he LOVES to be dried with a hair dryer and I guess Momazon used to blow dry him when needed. I tried to be careful not to overheat him but he loved it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds like to sit in the sun after a bath. If there is no sun, I put them in their cages to air dry. They have heat panels on their cages that they can sit near if they are cold.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Air dry :) I personally find a hair dryer really uncomfortable on myself, so I don't care to use them on my pets.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo goes over to HIS towel on the rack and dries his head first... THEN, waits for me to open the towel and then proceeds to jump on and let me fold him in! A lot of wriggling and VOILA... dry birdie! :smuggrin:

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Eros has a bath everyday and occasionally twice if he is molting (if I don't take him to shower or bath or basin, he uses his water dish which I try avoid as he soaks shells and pellets in it so changing water happens a loto_O)
Usually the basin in the morning but if he isn't ready, about an hour before he goes to bed. First he dries his head on "his" towel (like Pilo @Lodah!:roflmao:). He then sits on the burglar bars and dries in the rays from the setting sun. No sun? Well, mom's clothes aren't just used as a jungle gym! They make a good makeshift towel too.:wideyed: He then preens himself dry on my shoulder or knee:xflove:
He L:heart:VES water and bathtime :lol:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Feathers were not made to be dried with a hair dryer. It dries them out too much, much better to just turn your heat one or two degrees when it is this cold and let them do the rest.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We're air dryers here....with lots of preening along the way. :)

Milton loves to sit in the sun to dry. I used the blow dryer on him the other day , after his run-in with the snowman, because I didn't want him to become chilled afterwards...:snowman2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I air dry. Sherbie will often rub her face all over mine to get the extra wet off, though. She enjoys rubbing her face on a towel as well. For the rest of her body, she just preens and does some flying till she dries off.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Feathers were not made to be dried with a hair dryer. It dries them out too much, much better to just turn your heat one or two degrees when it is this cold and let them do the rest.
Neither is our hair. Nor dog fur. But they still have hair salons and dog grooming shops. That is why conditioner for humans and dogs and aloe vera spray for parrots was invented - to prevent dryness. Personally I wouldnt want to let my hair air dry, especially, in winter. It's a chilly 2degrees in the state i live in. My home is kept at 78 but I also have very tall vaulted ceilings. It might read 78 but that doesnt mean its necessarily 78 in here. Heat rises but my parrots stay at ground level.
I think of it this way - would i be comfortable with a wet head in 78degree home? Absolutely not. Ive never let my hair air dry i can not stand a wet head. I put myself in my parrots shoes sort to speak. Would my bird whose entire body is soaking wet be confortable in 78degree? I know they wouldnt be because Ive tried to let them air dry but they shiver and I feel so bad. I just cannot stand to watch them shiver helplessly. Plus I flip out because I dont want them to catch a cold. I can turn my house up to 80 but what if my pipes blow? Had that happen last winter. Not fun! In summer, circumstances are totally different - they go from the shower to the aviary to dry naturally in the sunlight. We all do the best we can by our birds and we all do things differently. I appreciate your opinion. I do not condemn you for letting them air dry. Thats not my preference based on my circumstances, based on my experiences, based on my parrots. As long as they like it, which they do, i will continue to do it. Now if they didnt like it for example like how they dont like shivering while air drying, i wouldnt do it and I dont air dry for that reason. I do not dry my birds out as you are picturing, either only till they are comfortable and not soaking or shivering. Ive not had my birds get sick and Ive not had excessive dry skin, ever on either of them. If i did id certainly change my tactics but thank you for your thoughts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would 100% be comfortable in 78 degrees with wet hair lol. We go swimming in unheated lakes at 68 degrees around here, 78 degrees is super warm! I never blow dry my hair, and never heat my home over 68 degrees. I never feel chilly while air drying. Only exception is when it's below freezing and it turns my hair to icicles lol

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Neither is our hair. Nor dog fur. But they still have hair salons and dog grooming shops. That is why conditioner for humans and dogs and aloe vera spray for parrots was invented - to prevent dryness. Personally I wouldnt want to let my hair air dry, especially, in winter. It's a chilly 2degrees in the state i live in. My home is kept at 78 but I also have very tall vaulted ceilings. It might read 78 but that doesnt mean its necessarily 78 in here. Heat rises but my parrots stay at ground level.
I think of it this way - would i be comfortable with a wet head in 78degree home? Absolutely not. Ive never let my hair air dry i can not stand a wet head. I put myself in my parrots shoes sort to speak. Would my bird whose entire body is soaking wet be confortable in 78degree? I know they wouldnt be because Ive tried to let them air dry but they shiver and I feel so bad. I just cannot stand to watch them shiver helplessly. Plus I flip out because I dont want them to catch a cold. I can turn my house up to 80 but what if my pipes blow? Had that happen last winter. Not fun! In summer, circumstances are totally different - they go from the shower to the aviary to dry naturally in the sunlight. We all do the best we can by our birds and we all do things differently. I appreciate your opinion. I do not condemn you for letting them air dry. Thats not my preference based on my circumstances, based on my experiences, based on my parrots. As long as they like it, which they do, i will continue to do it. Now if they didnt like it for example like how they dont like shivering while air drying, i wouldnt do it and I dont air dry for that reason. I do not dry my birds out as you are picturing, either only till they are comfortable and not soaking or shivering. Ive not had my birds get sick and Ive not had excessive dry skin, ever on either of them. If i did id certainly change my tactics but thank you for your thoughts.

I am currently at 5 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of -12 so I know cold too. Granted, I have short hair but it has been a while since I last used a hair dryer on myself. Oh, temps is 67 during the day but maybe bump it up to 69 if I am feeling cold, 65 at night. I could not tolerate 78 during the winter, that is way to hot for me.

Curious, what do you mean by your 'pipes blew'? I know water pipes will freeze and burst but the furnace???? I am only familiar with natural gas for heat. Are you possibly on propane, is that something that happens with that fuel source?