• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you decide when it's time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I still miss KerBear very much. I know we will never find another parrot like her.
Greywing is definately my husband's bird. He doesn't like females, not that I blame the poor guy.

The silence in the house is depressing. I know that so many of you probably think that silence would be a blessing, but seriously, when you come home to a quiet house that used to be filled with joyful parrot noise...it's just sad.

I feel guilty wanting another parrot considering what happened to Ker. I would never go out and get another Amazon. There isn't another like her.

How do you know when it is time to get another, or even if you should? KerBear just fell into our lap on accident, the same with Greywing. I don't even know where to begin to look for another. Neither were parrots I ever would have chosen, but they both fit us so well and gave our life joy.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:hug8::hug8::hug8: I'm so glad you're around :)

I think that you should definitely take it slow, and when you're ready, maybe scan local ads or visit some rescues/shelters? You might fall in love with a parrot instantly :heart: or it might take some time until you find one that clicks. But any parrot would be lucky to come home with you :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I dont think anyone can answer for you when a good time is. It is something that you will have to work through and decide when you are ready to open your heart to another precious fid. Glad to see you back here we have all missed you :hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, what has been said, and extra extra..:hug8::hug8::hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am glad you are back! I agree that you have decie when/if you are ready. If you are ready then you shouldn't feel guilty. You could check on Craigslist, there are always so many birds out there looking for new homes. Maybe meet some and see how you feel, or just browse around looking until someone sparks your interest!

Vicki

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
You'll know when it's time :hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so so glad to see you back!!!:hug8:I totally understand about the deafening silence. When all three of mine had to be boarded last year (problem in the house) the silence was just terrible and it hurt. That may sound strange, but it did. It hurt.

I can understand how you would feel guilty wanting another bird, but I think Kerbear would want to see you happy. Would another bird make you happy?
:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I have tears in my eyes. I know that there is a parrot out there for you and s/he will come when your ready.

Ginger

Ernie

Sitting on the front steps
I have to agree that you know if it is right or not. I don't know your story but can that you should not let guilt guide you. After I lost Moracco the house was too empty. It was only a week and we read about Jasper and adopted her. I knew it was time even though it was so soon. Jasper needed a home and my home needed her.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so glad to see you back :) We had been missing you around the neighborhood. I agree that only you will know when it time. :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It is hard to say when you are ready, some take months and others take days.
There are yahoo bird lists you can join and email come daily with people looking for homes for their birds.
Take it easy Anna, one day, another will join you and it will be a lucky ducky parrot.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I agree with Lotus and the others, and I do think when you're ready, there will be one in need just calling your name :hug8:

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Glad to see that your back Anna. :hug8:

I think when the time is right and the right parrot comes along, you will just know in your heart that its the right thing to do and the right time.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its wonderful to see you back,when you met the right bird you will know that s/he is ment to be with you.

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Yay you're back Anna!. Put the thought out in the universe and surely the perfect parrot will appear. (It doesn't hurt to visit rescues, craig's list, etc. either). Good luck.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh Anna, I was just thinking about you today... :hug8: So glad that you are back and that little Greywing is ok... :hug8: You will know when the time is right.. Like others have said visit shelters, look thru craigslist, etc. and when you visit them you will just know when you are the chosen one... One will capture your heart.. :heart: And I can't wait to hear all about it... :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I think only YOU can tell when the time is right.

I went through this when my dogs (I had 3 at one point in time) each passed away. After the 2nd one passed I was so upset (she was my baby) that I swore I didn't want another dog. A month later I brought Harley home. My 3rd dog was so quiet and always hid, it was like she wasn't even there.

I think its ok to keep an eye out. Or even actively look. Take your time, and I believe when the right fid comes along...you will know it.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It's so nice to see you, Anna! :hug8: Right now you might want to do a little researching about a few species you find interesting since you do not want another amazon. Just do a little light reading with no mental commitment. Your heart will linger where it wants to and your interest will grow when ready. That's what I would do. :hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I think just taking it slow and going and meeting parrots is going to help you determine if you're ready for another parrot to come into your household. What I do know is that you are a wonderful and devoted parront, and any bird would be lucky to wind up in your loving care :) Like Coco said, it could be a while before one clicks, or you could instantly fall in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.