• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How are Pineapple Conures as Pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
I saw a very sweet Pineapple Conure at a store. It was exceptionally sweet and I was wondering how their personalities are. If anyone can give me some insight I'd appreciate it.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
You mean green-cheeked conures, right? Pineapple is a mutation (color), not a species. Definitely a popular parrot!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Ours just loves attention. She'll jump up and down with her feet leaving the perch when she gets excited. She dances and she's very quiet. That being said, like most conures she can be nippy and we all have been bitten before but I think she just gets carried away sometimes. The biggest feature to me is that they are pretty quiet for a conure.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Green Cheeks are awesome, you can't go wrong with one. They're small bird with a big personality as well as cheeky, sweet, cuddly and are huge clowns.

I have a Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure and I love her to death! :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have a female cinnamon green cheek and I LOVE LOVE LOVE her. Autumn is outgoing, confident, comical and really fun! She is very "beaky" but we have been working on and she is doing better. I think you can't go wrong with a green cheek!

ECF10

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ted
I agree. Green Cheeks are the best! The pineapple mutation is absolutely gorgeous. You really can't go wrong. I would love to get a second GCC.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
You mean green-cheeked conures, right? Pineapple is a mutation (color), not a species. Definitely a popular parrot!
I did not know that! I thought they were their own species. I didn't think that a color mutation would look so different. They just seem smaller than regular deep cheeks and have different face shapes. Of course I've never compared the two side by side.

The biggest feature to me is that they are pretty quiet for a conure.
Is yours an exception or are they all like that?
There's a breeder on CL that's been desperately trying to get rid of one for several weeks now. They're very pretty.:rolleyes:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I'm pretty sure that most of them are quiet. The worst screeching I've heard was last night when I had to towel her to clip her nails. It didn't hold a candle to what any of my other birds do just when they are happy :D Ours is very very quiet and at the most will chirp a little.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I've heard the green cheeks in general are much quieter than their other conure counterparts in the Aratinga genus :D Everyone keeps telling me they are the "quiet conure" which I've always believed to be an oxymoron....:D:D

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
we have a 10 yr old GreenCheek - she has her loud moments, but chirps and calls and talks for the most part.

She is a sweetie, a little bossy and my sentinel bird - if there is anything out of place in her world, I know it!

life around here wouldn't be the same without her!

southernbirds

Thanks for all your feedback. I would love to see photos.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
This is a cute little site: The Green Cheek Conure Homepage

Definitely check out YouTube and Flickr. Do a search on green-cheeked conures.

Of course, that might be WAY too much temptation... ;)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I think the pineapples are just amazing!! Their colors are just stunning!

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I have a cinnamon GC and he is wonderful. Can be nippy at times, but nothing too bad! Love him to death! A little noisy at times, but nothing ya can't handle!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
My yellow sided is a sweetie. Never bites me EVER, and is just the most affectionate thing.

I'me not going to say she's not loud, though. I'm well aware she can't reach the volume of the larger species, but she has her moments and tends to call for me when I'm not home alot/

southernbirds

Thank you for the links and the photos. I went to visit the one in the store again. I am going to pass on him/her for now. Still doing my research, but very much leaning toward a pineapple at any rate.Although, the one I saw again has a great little personality, can be held in different positions too. A bit nippy this time but very adaptable.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Have fun researching! It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes (I get hit with the OMG, DO WANT fever, too :hehe:) but SO very interesting.

Looking forward to when you find that perfect parrot to share your life with!

southernbirds

Thank you Eliza...right now just sharing life with family, English Budgie (great talker) and 2 doxies.

lsware

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
I have to agree with everyone else. Green cheeks normal or otherwise are very sweet birds. Yes the green cheeks are the quieter conures, although they do make noise. I have a yellow sided green cheek that's 11 wks old. He is such a sweetie! I've had a sun conure, dusky headed conure, normal green cheek, and I have a Blue Crowned conure. He is the noisey one! He is very verbal and says lots of words! Conures in general are great birds!

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Here's another great link for learning about green cheeks, seeing their colors, hearing their noise levels, and seeing their behaviors in videos: www.pamperedpeeps.com

Status
Not open for further replies.