• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hornbeam Aviary

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am across their website, and I have to say they seem like some of the best cockatoo breeders. Does anybody know if they are still "in business"? I see there is a phone #, but when I called I got a generic voicemail. I'll leave a message if I know they're still raising toos.

I hope to get a Citron next year, and am going to start keeping my eyes peeled for a rehome or rescue when I'm ready, but if I end up having to go through a breeder it might as well be an exceptional one. So I'm thinking of putting myself on their waiting list.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, they are still in business and they breed more than just the ones they have on their web site, so you may want to ask! I would kill to get a Cockatoo from them and if I ever scrape the money up for a Major Mitchell, they will be my first choice!:)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Great thanks! Are their babies very expensive? I imagine they might be considering the extra time (abundance weaning) and love they seem to put in. It's wonderful that they allow the babies to stay with their parents so long and become well-adjusted young toos.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its been a while since I talked to them but at the time their prices tended toward the upper range of normal. They did seem to know their stuff when I talked to them about galeritas a few years ago.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I honesty don't mind paying more for a baby that comes from an ethical breeder, and is less likely to develop phobic or self-destructive behaviors because it was raised right. As long as the cost is not WAY out of the normal range. I think I will give them a call. Can't hurt to put myself on their list.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Garance, Im not trying to be negative. But you just rehomed a Bare Eyed 'Too because of her being too loud, you're Galah is a baby so not making alot of noise right now, Im just thinking you should wait until you're in a better housing situation before bringing in another 'Too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why not volunteer at a rescue with your boyfriend? A citron is still a sulfur crested and a white cockatoo, they are "noisy and loud" birds. I understand your boyfriend is sensitive to noise. You may want to get your bf educated on this matter so he fully understands what he is saying yes to. I'd hate for him to give you a hard time when the 'too begins to make noise.

:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I do think Hornbeam Aviary are Top Notch cockatoo breeders:)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Garance, Im not trying to be negative. But you just rehomed a Bare Eyed 'Too because of her being too loud, you're Galah is a baby so not making alot of noise right now, Im just thinking you should wait until you're in a better housing situation before bringing in another 'Too.
If you'll read my original post, it says next year at the earliest. Which is also when I hope to be living in a house, where I won't have close neighbors and can put more distance between the toos and the tiels. Maybe you didn't see it, but I've mentioned this in several other threads including the one about having to rehome Lily. My boyfriend is anxious about noise because of the fact that we live in an apartment, and he's already said he'd feel differently if we had a different housing situation.

Obviously I'm not planning on bringing in another cockatoo NOW. Am just thinking about putting myself on a waiting list (if there is one) and that is not an obligation to buy either. This thread was just supposed to be about Hornbeam Aviary, not "Should I get another cockatoo?"

Sorry to be snippy; I was just hoping not to have to defend/explain myself to people who might jump to conclusions.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Why not volunteer at a rescue with your boyfriend? A citron is still a sulfur crested and a white cockatoo, they are "noisy and loud" birds. I understand your boyfriend is sensitive to noise. You may want to get your bf educated on this matter so he fully understands what he is saying yes to. I'd hate for him to give you a hard time when the 'too begins to make noise.

:hug8:
I know. Nothing is set in stone, this is just the preliminary research phase. His issue with the noise is mainly because he was (rightfully) worried about the neighbors. I won't get another too until we have a better living situation.

Hopefully this has been stated FOR THE RECORD now. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Katy is a SUPERB breeder. She is not the cheapest, but she is one of the best 'too breeders in the US.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
katie has great articles and •i love the film clips

skwirt

Meeting neighbors
I know this is an older post but I looked up this aviary to see what others had to say. In the next few years I'd love a Citron and I spoke with Katy yesterday. The price for the Citron is lower than the bird stores around here and they seem so much more ethical. Now we are trying to figure out how I can purchase one in the future across state lines. I'd be willing to pick up but because of Citrons and LS2's being endangered there are crazy laws about not selling across state lines which is ridiculous. I believe I need a CITES permit and I am going to call the CITES program to see if I am correct. The state license, as far as I can tell, is necessary to have a Citron but it doesn't say anything about interstate purchase. For the state you have to include the bird band # and it says nothing about taking the bird across state lines. I think that part is federal.

I really don't understand how not allowing people to purchase birds across state lines is going to endanger the species more than it already is. It doesn't make any sense. I am not ready at this point and won't be for at least one or two more years. I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Good luck. This same law has been in place since the 1970's for the Golden Conure (Queen of Bavaria). The birds you mention have just recently been added to the list. To sell across state lines makes it federal. Federal permits are restrictive. The receiver must have a license which is obtained from fish and wild life services and they approve licenses for breeders. They will need to inspect the premesis to make sure it meets standards for breeding. Licenses don't get approved unless you will be breeding that species. The seller can be penalized if selling to an unlicensed person across state lines. This is a law that was vigorously fought this past year. The avian organizations even presented information of why this law would be more harmful than helpful. Some regulators would not be able to tell some species apart so grouped them all together. It is feared there would be more hybridized parrots as those would not fall under the law...they are not a pure species.

If I were to get a citron I would have chosen the same place as you. Their birds are wonderful.

skwirt

Meeting neighbors
So, they will force me to buy a cockatoo from a pet store that I don't feel is ethical in raising and selling cockatoos than get it from a good breeder with ethics? This is asinine. The pet store I inquired at did not ask me ANY questions. They just told me when I asked, "sure, if you put down a deposit today you will get first pick!" Now wonder so many birds end up in shelters. And I was told the store clips birds before they learn to fly. And God only knows what mill they are using to get their birds. This really makes me angry. It's not protecting the species from extinction AT ALL.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The next step is breeders stop breeding as there is no one to sell to OR not ethical breeders start inbreeding because they do not want to go through the hassle of getting a license, inspection, fees only not to have a market to sell the birds to. Then it can get worse...illegal poaching once again starts.

skwirt

Meeting neighbors
Sorry I meant a Federal Fish and Wildlife Permit. Not CITES. I'm getting all of my research confused!

skwirt

Meeting neighbors
If I figure out the correct procedure and that it can be done, I'll let you know. I do know an Ohio resident could purchase a C2 for me and give it to me as a gift and that is completely fine. Bizarre rules.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
What you have going for you right now is the newness. This new law affects so many who do not know about the regulation. Guranteed though is when someone needs to prove a point they will have the law to back them. I wish you the best. LSC are one of my most favorite parrots (C2's are one of them). See my avatar

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If I figure out the correct procedure and that it can be done, I'll let you know. I do know an Ohio resident could purchase a C2 for me and give it to me as a gift and that is completely fine. Bizarre rules.
They will not give you personally a permit. You would have to be set up to breed the species in question and would have to have a great deal of knowledge with breeding that particular species. You could have someone in Ohio purchase the bird for you and then give you the bird. I don't know that I would tell Katy you were doing this though as I don't know that she would feel comfortable doing it. I couldn't say for sure. I would think that would be completely legal and a way to get around a very stupid law. The parrots that show up on this list cannot be sold across the border without a permit but they can be given away and obviously the breeder isn't going to give the bird away but if someone else bought the bird from her, there is absolutely no law that states that the person who bought the bird couldn't give the bird to you.

You are absolutely correct in the idea that this is an absolutely stupid law that does not help these parrots in the wild at all. The birds that have been added to this list in the last few years were forced on the list by HSUS. The government had no intention of putting them on the list but HSUS forced their hand on the issue. It's a very sad state of affairs.

I wish you the best in getting a Cockatoo from Katy. I would also go to her if I were thinking of getting a species that she specializes in. They really are amazing breeders!