• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hope

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
How could I have missed this nice thread :heart:

What a sweetie and how awful she was before :(

Sometimes when there is a big life change, the stress can bring out their illness.
I am glad she is feeling better!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Wow, what a nice improvement, in Hope, looks like with some tender loving care, has really helped her alot. Is that the cage, you are keeping her in ? As I find that cage , quite small for a Quaker. It could be just the picture, but it seems quite small to me.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Quakers are so darn cute. A few suggestions. For safety reasons use baby blankets instead of towels which have loose threads. If a bird is missing feet (had a cag with no feet) they will use their beak to maneuver . To move around then they will use their beak and good foot to grab the bars of the cage to move around so need a clear path way. Too much stuff hanging on the sides of the cage block that pathway. I prefer a domed or flat top cage. The cage with the little tower makes it difficult to get into the upper half. Platform perches are great. Don't pass up grapevine perches. The irregular shapes are great for a handicapped bird. Depending on the shape they can lean the bad side against an upward branch and horizontal part of the perch with the good leg. A perch with a V shape allows the bird to perch on one side of the V, their tail on the other side of the V and they poop in between the two perches then

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I think the cage is ok but looking into something better. I will take the towls out I did wonder about that. I also do have a V perch in there along with a platform perch and a regular one. I will also look into different styles of perches. Thanks everyone for your much needed advice! :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Number one...you now have him and that is wonderful. Cage modifications will come with time. Your bird looks so wonderful and healthier so keep doing what you are doing. Looking forward to more stories! and of course pictures.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Handicapped birds learn to adapt. Example: my cag had no feet but she learned to perch on a regular dowel. I padded some things and provided irregular shape/texture perches so she would not get sores on her stumps. Continued pressure to the same area would cause sores. The suggestions I made were ones that worked for her and kept her stumps health. As I said, your baby is looking wonderful!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the cage is ok but looking into something better. I will take the towls out I did wonder about that. I also do have a V perch in there along with a platform perch and a regular one. I will also look into different styles of perches. Thanks everyone for your much needed advice! :hug8:
So glad she's fine now!!!! Check out Fosters and Smith- amazing perches at awesome prices. Dragonwood is a real favorite with my flock. :)