• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hmm,whitch to choose,Travel cage help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so hard! I found this cage,King's Aluminum Parrot and Bird Travel Carriers ages ago and have been saving and saving to get it and I though that I was totally decided.

And then I was on one of my other boards and this travel cage was brought to my attention Bird Cages: Fold 'n Go Travel Cage at DrsFosterSmith.com

Someone posted pics of their Sun Conure and Green Cheek in there's and they had a ton of room and lots of space to put a perch or two and a few toys.

What do you guys think?
I like the first one cause it has build in doors,altho neither of my babies are cage aggressive when you try to give them food,so its not a super big deal to have doors. I also like that its made of Aluminum,so no real chance of it rusting.

What I like about the second one is at least to me,it seems to have more space and it will come with 2 SS cups,that excites me because they dont have anything that is SS,so im wanting to see how it compaires.

Also,tho is will not change what cage I lean towards the price diff,would be nice if I did go with the second one,as that would leave me a nice amount left over to spoil them with more toys.

The main thing I want out of the cage is that I want it to be the best one possible to have them stay in it for 2 possibly 3 days,if we ever move back to FL. I want them to have plenty of room to move around and to have toys to play with.

Cant wait to see what you guys think.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I really like the King's ones because of how sturdy they are. They are also specially created so that they do not rattle at all when being moved.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would prefer the King's cage.;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I would choose the King's Cage model as well.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I watched a bird in the white one. The grate doesn't come out. PITA to clean IMO. I'd go with the King's were I choosing a travel cage.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
I have the King's one and love it, beware though, it's not easy to take apart.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK, so I'm going to be different....I like the 2nd one because of the room...If the birds are going to be in a situation for 3 days plus...they NEED the room to move around in...AND if something happened that more time was needed or an emergency lasting longer...You wouldn't have to worry about them /exercise as in the first one and it folds down for less space......JMHO:hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
OK, so I'm going to be different....I like the 2nd one because of the room...If the birds are going to be in a situation for 3 days plus...they NEED the room to move around in...AND if something happened that more time was needed or an emergency lasting longer...You wouldn't have to worry about them /exercise as in the first one and it folds down for less space......JMHO:hug8:
Actually, the King's one probably offers more space. It's 16 x 18" whereas the other one is 12 x 20".

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought the small size cage from that site. I apologize for not remembering the vendor's name...Angie, I think. I'm coming off a migraine.
Anyway, I have the King's. Not a lot of room to move around for the 'tiel for whom I bought it, (for just a transport cage) so I would not recommend it for a place to remain for a couple days in the small size. But if you need to move your bird is a study fashion, short term, this is it. Maybe you're thinking of the medium or large sizes. In that case, yes. Even my vet admired it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just to clarify,the cage that would get if I choose the Kings is the medium size.Im thinking that I will be getting that one,as thats the one that I first found and loved the look of it.

I just didnt want to be so for sure on that one if the other one,that I found would have actually been better.

Can anyone that owns a medium{or any size} post a pic of their baby in it? Just so I can get a good idea of how much space they would have once,I put perches and toys inside.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I know birds who aren't normally chewers and who have a blast taking off the plastic type cover off he bars. Plus, they are rather easy to bend if the bird has enough strength in it's beak.

Just to clarify,the cage that would get if I choose the Kings is the medium size.Im thinking that I will be getting that one,as thats the one that I first found and loved the look of it.

I just didnt want to be so for sure on that one if the other one,that I found would have actually been better.

Can anyone that owns a medium{or any size} post a pic of their baby in it? Just so I can get a good idea of how much space they would have once,I put perches and toys inside.
I'm getting my boyfriend to take pictures of one of my birds (I'm assuming one of the Pois) in there for you, but you might want to look around, I know Saroj had posted pictures of her medium sized King's travel cages with a Caique in it.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'll also add that I had bought mine as a travel/temporary cage I thought I would have needed had I got a baby female Red-bellied from a breeder a few hours away and while we were in that area (travel), we (boyfriend, bird and I) would have spent a few days at my in-laws' place (temporary cage). It would have been nice to only have to drag one cage (versus one cat carrier travel cage and one temporary cage) so I splurged on the King's Cage.

In the end, no babies were females and I managed to find one in need of a new home here so I might no longer need the cage for long travel, but it's nice for a temporary cage when I bring birds to parrot club meetings. I might actually consider getting a few more as birdsitting cages (when I have my guys looked over somewhere else that is), but I might consider getting the bigger version, just because it might be nice to provide them with the little extra space.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know birds who aren't normally chewers and who have a blast taking off the plastic type cover off he bars. Plus, they are rather easy to bend if the bird has enough strength in it's beak.

I'm getting my boyfriend to take pictures of one of my birds (I'm assuming one of the Pois) in there for you, but you might want to look around, I know Saroj had posted pictures of her medium sized King's travel cages with a Caique in it.
Thats very good to know about the plastic covering on the other one,that alone would make me,rethink getting one.

Thank you so much for taking some pics for me,I really appreciate that,do you have the medium?

I just want to make sure that I am getting the best travel carrier possible,for my babies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Here's a picture. Not the best, apparently it was hard to light up properly but it should give you an idea. One of my Meyer's is in it (and he's about 130g)

Oh and it's the medium.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a picture. Not the best, apparently it was hard to light up properly but it should give you an idea. One of my Meyer's is in it (and he's about 130g)
Oh and it's the medium.

Thank you so much for the pic! He's such a handsome little guy. It looks like I would have plenty of room for a Sun and a Green cheek in there{They would have seperate cages} even with a few perches and toys. If we did move back to FL,they would be able to get out of the cage,when we would stop at a hotel. So they wouldnt be locking in there 3 days stright.

I really think that its exactly what Im looking for. The medium comes with food bowls right? It looks like you can take them out? How much space do they take up,when they are inside?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I really think that its exactly what Im looking for. The medium comes with food bowls right? It looks like you can take them out? How much space do they take up,when they are inside?
Ha! I didn't even notice they weren't in there! I had birdsat two of my mom's birds not too long ago and her Meyer's was in there and I took out the bowls to wash them once she went back home and forgot to put them back..

They don't take a huge amount of space, although you might want to consider using other bowls. They aren't the greatest and a bit hard to put in and out.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ha! I didn't even notice they weren't in there! I had birdsat two of my mom's birds not too long ago and her Meyer's was in there and I took out the bowls to wash them once she went back home and forgot to put them back..

They don't take a huge amount of space, although you might want to consider using other bowls. They aren't the greatest and a bit hard to put in and out.
Thanks so very much for the pics and info,I really appreciate it. Thank you to everyone that gave their opinions,I cant tell you how much I appreciate that. I would have made a mistake if I bought the other one.

Ill be placing my cage order soon,and Ill post pics as soon as I get it.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
The one thing I would say is DEFINITELY buy the SS food bowls they offer to replace the ones it comes with. It comes with awful, awful, awful plastic bowls.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
The one thing I would say is DEFINITELY buy the SS food bowls they offer to replace the ones it comes with. It comes with awful, awful, awful plastic bowls.
True. I hate them. But since I barely use the cage and when I do, I don't necessarily have food or water in the cage, I seldom put them in.

When I was birdsitting my mom's birds, I used those mostly for treats. Water and food were in other bowls I added.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the tip,I will definatly do that:)

Status
Not open for further replies.