• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hmm..Homemade recipe- is it ok?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I started looking at your site for things and got sidetracked last night... Yep... I'm excited about those golden beets!
I get sidetracked all the time! It's my nature, just so much to do lol!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sidetracked again... watching youtube videos on making bird bread... very entertaining.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry they're not a hit! It's funny how 1 ingredient can make such a difference. Maybe they'll warm to them in time.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds are like picky little kids :hehe:

If they don't get eaten, maybe you can leave them out for wild birds? ;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Birds are like picky little kids :hehe:

If they don't get eaten, maybe you can leave them out for wild birds? ;)
If I put it outside there would be a posse of possums, raccoons, cats, probably other rodents and who knows what else. I don't even put seed out for the wild birds because of the wild critters. My resident wild bunnies would probably love it too but they do a fine job at eating holes in the yard. I just saw a baby bunny last night hanging around a tree in the front yard. Saw it tonight too. I thought his mom had her babies in the back in some thick japanese ivy we have but she must have changed her mind and used the thick cover under our tree instead. Seems like the birds enjoy throwing it out of the cups provided.. hopefully they're eating some of it!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mockinbirdiva

Ohhh definitely not the best idea! Where I am we are more prone to weasels and foxes, and they are usually on the prowl for something more substantial!

My only other suggestion would be a bird feeder/hanging net kind of thing? It's just a bit of a song and dance all because of some picky lil fids :lol:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh and I love acorn squash! We made some gorgeous pumpkin gnocchi the other day, fried in sage butter is the best!
View attachment 314712
Oh my.... the gnocchi is gorgeous!!!! I take it you made those... they look scrumptious! You should share that recipe!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Roasted the acorn squash and golden beets this afternoon. I cut the acorn squash in half and basted it with coconut oil and sprinkled some ceylon cinnamon on it and placed it face down... it's very soft and scooped out easy. I would not use the cinnamon the next time and add it when I use the squash in a recipe instead... it kind of tasted a little bitter so I picked it off.

But .... Boy o Boy.... I roasted the golden beets whole as described in a recipe. Washed them thoroughly, dried them, rubbed them with coconut oil and placed them on the pan along with the squash. Recipe called for 400 degrees but I was afraid they would burn so I did 375 for an hour ( as the recipe online) and I did use a tin foil cover to keep them from getting burned on top too. Very tasty.... a little sweet.... this will not only be on my menu but for the birds as well! Highly recommend!!!!!! It's a BEEUTIFUL vegetable!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The gnocchi were a joint effort from me and my husband, I think we literally just substituted half the potato in a usual gnocchi recipe with pumpkin :)

Ooooh roasted is always good! My go-to-meal is roasted salmon in foil and whatever veg I have hanging round! The good thing about birds is that I usually have some veg I need to use up cos they eat like 3 mouthfuls! :hehe:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love roasted beets (and other vegetables) for all of us, birds and humans. I would feed the balls you made.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So how long before you make this minus the pellets? I want to know if they're as good as they look....

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So how long before you make this minus the pellets? I want to know if they're as good as they look....
I'd like to find some Kamut flour. If I can't find it then I'll use the almond flour. I have a bag of roudybush medium pellets Lola and Henry don't seem to want to eat. Lola eats the small size but won't touch the bigger size. I could crush those and add them into a new mix. I haven't eaten a roudybush but they don't seem to have the strong scent the Caitec bites do. Bob's Red Mill makes an organic kamut flour, I'll have to see if one of the local grocery stores sell it. I would do a combination of the almond and kamut flour as a base... split it in half and put pellets in one ... the other for me to sample!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you able to order via walmart? (Bob's Red Mill $3.60) They're supposed to have it according to a fast Google search.

I'm not sure if there's Wegmans in SC, NC yes(I've been told). I thought I saw it in my local store but the app for Wegman's says no. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Are you able to order via walmart? (Bob's Red Mill $3.60) They're supposed to have it according to a fast Google search.

I'm not sure if there's Wegmans in SC, NC yes(I've been told). I thought I saw it in my local store but the app for Wegman's says no. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Kroger here might carry it. They have the other pastas I buy and quite a selection of Bob's Red mill but I didn't look that well the last time I went. I can always call the Walmart store and see if they can get it in for me too. I've never heard of Wegmans.