• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hmm..Homemade recipe- is it ok?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've been meaning to do this for some time and today was the day to get going on making a treat for the birds. I've put half of it in a baking dish using coconut oil (unrefined organic) on the dish it's self to keep it from sticking. I took a bit and rolled it in my hands and it held together so I'm going to bake some like this too. No exact measurements but this is what it's made of... what do you all think? Would you feed it to your birds? I'll taste test it when the first comes out of the oven.

Coconut flour
Almond Flour
Flaxseed meal
Thick Rolled oats
A dash of whole hemp, chia, flax
Ceylon cinnamon
Cooked mashed sweet potatos 2 cup
Cooked mashed carrot 2 cup
Cooked mashed 2 apples
Bananas 2 large mashed
Chopped walnuts
Coconut unrefined oil Organic
Red Palm oil

Dry ingredients mixed together, then wet ingredients mixed together before combining.... I only used bottled water to add for moisture to mix all well.

Baking the dish covered at 350 for 45 minutes. I heard it beeping... might be time to pull it out for a taste test!

It made a pile.....
This is before baking. I'll be back much later to let you know how it turned out.
Bird cookies1.jpg

Bird cookies2.JPG

Bird Cookies 3.JPG

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Looks good! Im interested in the results of the beak test :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks good! Im interested in the results of the beak test :)
Meh... my beak doesn't find it particularly tasty... needs to be sweeter. However.... Henry is eating his nickle sized chunk I just gave him. It's a little crunchy on top and moist on the rest. I'll let you know if he polishes it off and if Lola decided to give hers a taste. I meant to cook some quinoa and add it in the whole mix..... what the heck happened to all my quinoa!!!! None to be found in the pantry.

Funny... just last night my hubby remarked on how much bird food was in the pantry and thinks it outnumbers the people food.... :think1:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Funny... just last night my hubby remarked on how much bird food was in the pantry and thinks it outnumbers the people food.... :think1:
My partner says the same thing :p He also always asks me whats so good that Im cooking, when Im just boiling beans and legumes for the birds :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds and looks good.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'd feed it :)
I forgot that I added one other ingredient.... I crushed some Caitec ovenbites ( because none of my birds are that interested in them) and thought "Boy, what a great way to use them up and sneak them into their diet ... get them used up" Maybe that's the one flavor that has them a little turned off. Henry pulled his apart but didn't look like he really ate that much, Lola decided to grab hers out of her cup and sit up on her door to eat it and dropped most of it as it crumbled but she did at least taste it. Bob ... looks like he has thrown most of his out of his dinner cup... it was to the side of his evening meal. Rocket and Astro had a bowl on top of her open door and I saw her go for it, taste it... but it looks like nothing else was eaten out of the bowl. I didn't try it out on the rest of the Crimson clan.. tomorrow. If nobody eats it.... going in the trash. :( I'll have to try again. Nobody wants to eat anything with the red palm oil on it either so I thought it would be a great way to sneak that in too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm lucky, if Ripley won't eat something, the rats will :lol: Does not work for Roudybush or TOPS though, as they avoid alfalfa.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm lucky, if Ripley won't eat something, the rats will :lol: Does not work for Roudybush or TOPS though, as they avoid alfalfa.
Weirdly.... Henry has been eating some of his TOPS. Mainly he eats Zupreem... not interested in the Roudybush though I did buy the next size up from the small and also put those in his cup. Lola, has eaten Zupreem well for her whole life, has decided she likes the Roudybush pellets in the small size and won't touch the bigger ones. Size and shape are everything to them and the #1 reason I couldn't get them to eat the Harrisons no matter how many times I've tried. I might have to order some smaller Harrisons and try sneaking it into a different recipe. The one thing they all love is the cooked mix of butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot and apple with ceylon cinnamon. It looks like orange mashed potatos! If I cooked and served those separately in small or medium chunks they wouldn't touch it. I do think the cinnamon flavor is what makes it more enticing.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope they eat more tomorrow, I think it looks really good!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think your recipe looks great! Nice ingredients, well done! I hope it is well received by your guys.

Sometimes even though they seem like they don't like it, keep offering it.

They might be like my Hoosier, if it looks alien it's a no no. Until you keep trying.

;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think your recipe looks great! Nice ingredients, well done! I hope it is well received by your guys.

Sometimes even though they seem like they don't like it, keep offering it.

They might be like my Hoosier, if it looks alien it's a no no. Until you keep trying.

;)
They all had a taste and didn't stay tail up gobbling. I agree, new things aren't always received well. Really wishing I hadn't added the crushed Caitec bites because the taste of the overall mix might have been just enough to keep them a bit more interested. Next time I will omit the coconut flour and stick with the almond flour. I haven't baked the rest of the mix yet ( just put it all together last night) and I cut up the baked portion in the pyrex dish and bagged and froze it. I'll try a little every day to see if they get a taste for it. I think I could do better. But the caitec crushed bites.... no wonder I didn't particularly care for the flavor!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Now.... what to do with these!? I love the color of these golden beets... I think I'll roast/bake along with the acorn squash. Any cooking tips?

golden Turnips.JPG

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think those balls looked good! :dance1:

Did you bake them?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think those balls looked good! :dance1:

Did you bake them?
I didn't... yet. It got so late last night. I had wanted to add cooked quinoa to the recipe but discovered I didn't have any in the pantry. Wondering if I should get some and mix it in with what is left of the bowl of mix... I can always re-roll balls but I'll have to do it soon!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I can't help you with the beets lol. I think the treat balls are great though.

I love the ingredients used too. I will try something similar when I have a few days off the end of next week into the weekend. :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I can't help you with the beets lol. I think the treat balls are great though.

I love the ingredients used too. I will try something similar when I have a few days off the end of next week into the weekend. :)
Don't forget to add some cooked quinoa like I did. When I grabbed the bag it was brown rice.. what the heck? I didn't want that! ( I didn't use any brown rice)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Don't forget to add some cooked quinoa like I did. When I grabbed the bag it was brown rice.. what the heck? I didn't want that! ( I didn't use any brown rice)
It's fun experimenting with cooking for them. If the nut job at WD can, everyone here can too! Atleast you know whats in your foods!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's fun experimenting with cooking for them. If the nut job at WD can, everyone here can too! Atleast you know whats in your foods!
I started looking at your site for things and got sidetracked last night... Yep... I'm excited about those golden beets!