• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! First post and a question about pets and birds together!

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Also, if you look them up on youtube you'll get a nice idea of how loud various birds can be.

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Welcome.... It sounds like you really really want a bird. But, reading over your situation it doesn't seem that you have a plan that would actually be good for a bird. You might think first about the life you are going to be affecting in a rather permanent way. Right off the bat, you are bringing it into danger by having a preditory pet around. I too lost a Budgie because a neighbor let her cat in to my apt. Not a good idea.... Because things happen that you don't plan for or expect. That's just true... And sadly people do not respect that enough to heed the warnings of others. Your facts dictate that you do not yet have a stable enough situation to guarantee the safety and forever-home status for a bird. If I were a breeder, I would never allow my bird into your situation....it's a rehome-waiting-to-happen or worse! My brother has a friend who let her cat hassle her Tiel.... The Tiel had missing feathers from the cat grabbing them. It makes me sad when people are this (blindly)cruel to engineer a situation that forces birds to be captive in a home where they can't come out & explore & have the freedom to be a part of the flock because they are shut in one room away from everything. Think about a different species of pet until you truly have a good lifelong situation for a bird. Any pets needs should trump your wants. Sorry but I hope you can hear this in spite of my directness.

RavynSong

Sitting on the front steps
I am not letting my wants trump my pet's needs. If you READ, you will see that i was looking for the bird's safety from the beginning. I joined this forum SPECIFICALLY because i wanted to know if it was safe to have a bird in a house with other pets. I was looking at larger birds because they are safer from cats. I was looking at a hanger for the zebra finches initially so that my cat could not get to them. (turns out that will not work so that idea is OUT.) do not assume automatically that i will not respect others' warnings or that i'm not looking out for the birds' needs.

RavynSong

In no way will i let my cats ANYWHERE NEAR THE BIRDS.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay every bird. :)
Artbird made a good point in that you are still settling into everything and it might be a good idea to wait awhile.

I see that you are very concerned about your birds' safety and health. Cecilia (ArtBird) just wanted to remind you of that. It's very valuable that you are 100% financially and everything else stable.

RavynSong

Oh yeah i was gonna wait until we settled into the apartment/house, everything was straightened out, etc. And definitely till my cats were accustomed to their new home... and i was too! Cats can take a while to settle in and they'd probably be unpredictable for a few months. I'd probably pick out one of the bigger rooms for the birds' cage and one option is to lock the cats in the bedroom while i take the birds out to play (not the bedroom that the cage is in.) So long as we don't have doors with those bar handles and the latch is fully clicked shut, i KNOW FOR SURE (because there are rooms in this house that both my cats are very determined to get into) that they can't open the door!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is 100% up to you. I know how it feels to get criticism, when you're trying hard, but I'm honestly not sure if that situation would be great for the cats or the bird.

RavynSong

if i get a house would a big bird be safe around cats?

RavynSong

ok........... birdfeeder it is i guess............ I'll watch them outside..... i was just so excited... i guess...... at least i won't get bit i dunno. sorry for arguing.

Thanks for your help everyone

halfthewords

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hanna
I'm very lucky that my cat is utterly terrified of my bird, as Pippin terrorised the cat when he was only a baby (bird got here before cat), so he has just learned to stay way, WAY out of Pippin's way. However, I know more than a few people who have lost birds (conure size and bigger) to cats. In one case, the cat lived with the cockatoo for years before it killed it.

And generally, big birds are a lot louder (and messier). Cockatiels are a great option for beginners, and even some Greek Cheek Conures - they aren't *as* noisy as their bigger cousins though they do definitely have a set of lungs on them. :)

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Lots of people here on AA have Cats housed with birds, but it is a big danger. Cats are predatory animals, just like dogs, and even humans. It is possible to have a bird, but I think it would be best to wait until you are all moved in and have everything settled before getting a bird. In the meantime, you can research!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I am and will be the devils advocate every time on combining prey/predator pets. There are many who have done the combination successfully for many years - that is a fact. There are many who have lost their bird to ferrets, cats, dogs, lizards, snakes or any other predator in the home. You cannot change the nature of the beast, because that is how it survived in it's natural state. Just last week a member had a bird pulled through the cage bars by a dog and killed.

The size of the bird does not make one bit of difference. Cats carry Pastuerella bacteria as a resident bacteria. Birds have no defense against pastuerella and in most cases a scratch, bite, saliva from a cat CAN (NOT WILL) kill a bird - macaw or lovebird. Dogs are dirty in that they harbor many bacteria, fungus and mold spores in their fur and gram negative bacteria in their feces, gut and saliva (that's normal in mammals) and is is abnormal in avian species.

Everyone is responsible for the risk that they are willing to take on behalf of their pets, who are the ones who pay the ultimate price.

RavynSong

Machka is terrified of birds... after daisy. Katze came after daisy was gone though. She didn't bother the parakeets though.... I think one actually bit her paw. So she might be afraid of birds too. i dunno. I planned on waiting until they were settled in and so was everyone else. i was gonna wait maybe 6 months after we moved in or so

RavynSong

alright alright i'll just get a birdfeeder outside and watch the outside birds..........

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I have 2 cats and two smaller birds and although I know there are dangers, I am not willing to give up the ownership of either species!! I have trained my cats from Day 1 when I brought home my first bird that they are not allowed near the birds. I am not saying that they wouldn't hurt the birds if left unattended together but I just ensure that doesn't happen. My birds are out in the living room where we spend the most of our time and the cats roam freely. They know better than to go anywhere near the birds while I am here!
Again - I am not saying there is no danger (the facts that Mary stated about the bacteria are absoutely true). I just don't think it's fair to say there is no way you can have a bird if you have cats. If your cats are not respectful of the birds than I agree it might be a good idea to lock the cats up while you have the birds out.
I would definitely look into budgies, cockatiels or pionus for apartment living.