• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! First post and a question about pets and birds together!

RavynSong

Sitting on the front steps
Hi!

My dad has owned a (EDIT: Nanday) Conure (i LOVED that bird, named him ash, i was about 9, he had to rehome him because his landlord said he was too loud :() Then he owned a Goffin Cockatoo up until about 3 years ago (she got sick.... and moved way too many times) and also a Green Cheek Conure, a Budgie and some Parakeets, all of them are gone now... anyway my one cat doesn't bother birds at all after Daisy (the Goffin Cockatoo) lunged at him once... but my other cat, who we got after Daisy was gone, liked to sit on top of the Parakeet's cage. I am moving out of state soon in with my boyfriend and plan to get some Zebra Finches, a pair or two in a nice large cage! My boyfriend's grandfather has some cage hangers and i was wondering that if i keep the cage on a secure hanger so my cat can't sit on it, if it will be too terrifying for the finches to allow the cats in the same room as them...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
For some people it works and for others it does not. For many birds it can be stressful to have an animal such as a cat walking below them. It is part of their fight or flight instinct as a prey animal.

Matt

Christine 1978

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
christine
My friend had canaries that hung from the ceiling, but that didnt stop the cat. She came home one day to find one of her canaries on the bottom of the cage dead. A few days later she was sitting in her living room and heard a crash. Then her cat meowing she went into her dining room to fine her cat hanging from the cage and her other canary dead on the floor of the cage .

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome...I would not chance it for sure....my daughter had the same situation...old cat age 14 had grown up with her tiels..who were in a cage hanging from the ceiling...never bothered them..one day she came home from work to find the cage on the ground and one tiel in the corner with its crest ripped out..the tiel survived but cost hundreds of dollars..the other tiel was ok but found cowering in a corner...dont chance it.

RavynSong

Would a bigger bird be ok? Perhaps a nanday conure? (if the landlord allows it) I have experience taking care of larger birds..
EDIT: or simply a separate room if i can do that somehow!

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
My cats do not mess with the birds at all. If anything, I have to keep the cats and dogs safe from the birds! My smallest bird is an LSC2.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would a bigger bird be ok? Perhaps a nanday conure?
(if the landlord allows it) I have
experience taking care of larger
birds..
EDIT: or simply a separate room
if i can do that
somehow!
Welcome to AA!!

I don't know your situation, but if you're still in school, now might not be the best time for a bird. You have a 50-50 chance the cat will "disturb" the birds.

If you do decide to go ahead with the finches, I'd choose a room that is completely off li
It's to the cat. A friend of mine has a flock of Zebras who live in a Prevue F40. Check that out. :)

RavynSong

I'm not in school anymore and i don't have a job either, i'm on disability, i stay at home most of the day except for going to the doctor. (which is usually only once a week, 3x a week max and that's if all 3 collide)
i was talking about an apartment landlord, i'm moving into an apartment with my boyfriend sometime soon and plan to get the birds then!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, sounds like now would work to adopt some fluff balls!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

RavynSong

fluff balls as in birds? ok :) just gotta make sure we get a place that can have a room off limits to the cats! I know my boyfriend and i's room is not going to be off-limits, if we have an extra room i want it to be a prayer room and that leaves his friend's room, and i dunno if he'd agree to that..... (having the birds in his room i mean)

thank you omai :)

RavynSong

Are there any large birds that aren't very noisy, or are noisy but not loud, and don't bite much? i don't mind a lot of care, i can provide that! The main thing i'm worried about is having to rehome the bird because of noise (which won't be an issue if we manage to rent a house) and also i CANNOT stand being bitten hard. That's the main problem i had with daisy. Dad didn't mind it but also he was who she was attached to, she was also very aggressive towards females. So aggressive towards me. i couldn't even feed her without her lunging at me or trying to crawl out the hole and bite me. I do need a bird suitable for beginners or inexperienced owners though. But i can give lots of attention and provide a lot of interesting toys! I'm just not good at training or anything like that.

I know conures are very very loud, that's why we had to rehome ash :( he was a very well-behaved bird but people were complaining about him.....

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Are there any large birds that aren't very noisy, or are noisy but not loud, and don't bite much? i don't mind a lot of care, i can provide that! The main thing i'm worried about is having to rehome the bird because of noise (which won't be an issue if we manage to rent a house) and also i CANNOT stand being bitten hard. That's the main problem i had with daisy. Dad didn't mind it but also he was who she was attached to, she was also very aggressive towards females. So aggressive towards me. i couldn't even feed her without her lunging at me or trying to crawl out the hole and bite me. I do need a bird suitable for beginners or inexperienced owners though. But i can give lots of attention and provide a lot of interesting toys! I'm just not good at training or anything like that.

I know conures are very very loud, that's why we had to rehome ash :( he was a very well-behaved bird but people were complaining about him.....
As a general rule, the larger the bird, the louder it is.

RavynSong

As a general rule, the larger the bird, the louder it is.
I figured as much.... Are there any that just.... Don't vocalize often? If they get enough attention? I'm sure there are some that are less "chatty" than others...

RavynSong

I read an article about how to get your bird to scream less and i'm ok with them screaming SOMETIMES! Just not ALL the time! My main issue is the biting...... and my only concern about the screaming was the landlord forcing me to rehome them, that's all!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Conures aren't ideal for apartment/duplex living because they are loud and can make the neighbors irate. :) I find the finch noise repetitive and the slightest bit annoying, but they are way quieter, so it's easy to get by in an apartment.

RavynSong

ok! is there a bird that i can train and such that is safe for apartments? I'm reading all this stuff about parrot training and am really getting interested in it! Now i'm starting to hope we get a single house! (there was one for rent in our budget! It was separated off, not a duplex or anything!)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
That would be good.

Have you considered cockatiels?

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Cockatiels might be a nice compromise; they're about the size of the smaller conures, but aren't nearly as vocal. They do however do contact calls and the like, but it isn't nearly as bad in comparison.