• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Need Advice on Bird Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Update: I thought I was doing the right thing in giving a needy bird a home and love and patient care. I could just die I am so devastated.
Oh no. I'm so sorry. You did do the right thing, bringing Baby into your life...although it may not feel that way right now. :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sorry to hear that :( Please don't think that this happened because you gave a bird a great home that needed one; if it was a disease of the sort you say, it could have happened with any bird; yours was still just a baby.

My heart goes out to you. :hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :sad1: Thank you for giving him a home and love. :sadhug:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm so very sorry. You must be devastated.
Fly free Baby!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh, no. I am devastated for you. :(

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
What Shawna said.

:hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update: Today I was forced to euthanize Baby. He had been limping and after two courses of antibiotics and sleepless nights, he worsened. Today he was on the bottom of his cage, legs stiff. The vet said it was probably a degenerative spinal disorder or a tumor, as he was only 10 months old. I'm out over 1100 dollars and have nothing to show for it but an empty cage and broken heart. I thought I was doing the right thing in giving a needy bird a home and love and patient care. I could just die I am so devastated. My thanks to all of you who had been so kind. RIP Baby.
I am so sorry. :(:( ((hugs))

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone - thank you for the kind words. Of course I don't think giving Baby a home had anything to do with the condition that ended his life. I am just bitter because I was so happy hearing him prattle away and looked forward to long years of companionship...and also because I spent a great deal of money on care that ultimately did nothing for him. Now I am unable to afford another bird or even the adoption fees for a rehome. But I take a little comfort in that for a month I did my utmost to make him happy. I can't bear to look at the cage and only pray if there is a heaven that he will be there with my other beloved pets. I thank you again and send those hugs right back at you.:hug8:

redlored

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
I am biased: Pro-ZON all the way!!! I have had Sunny, my RLA since she was only a few months old. She is now 7yrs old and I love her so, so much. She is my first bird. She is a lot to handle I can say. I am "her mate" and she requires a lot of attention from me. She can definitely be aggressive. If my hubby comes too close to me, she will nip at me to get away from him. While she was only a few months old, I socialized her a LOT! She is still a one person bird though and will bite anyone else who tries to handle her. She run away though first, and if they persist on trying to get her (in ex: the vet) she will bite them. I love her attitude...aggressive and all.

I do have experience with CAGs and to me, they are much, much harder to please! They are beautiful birds and make great pets but only for THE RIGHT PERSON. CAG are more like human kids to me, lol. They are just too darn smart. I'm not saying my Zon isn't. It's just DIFFERENT. Only someone who has both of these birds can understand. Good luck!

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
this is so sad. Is there any way to get any of your money back? I would go to the owner he had and they should give you at least half back. This is horrible. :hug8:

redlored

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
Oh no! I didn't read everything. I was just responding to your title. I am so, so sorry for your loss. HUGE HUGS to you!!! This is absolutely horrific.
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for the loss of your bird. I hope you had a necropsy done so you know for sure what caused his death. I hope the experience doesn't turn you off of amazons and that someday your able to bring another into your life.
Melissa

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Redlored, it's okay - I knew you hadn't expected that. No worries. And Melissa I couldn't really afford the necropsy - as it was, the vet took pity on me and didn't charge me for the euthanasia or disposal. I trust him, though, as he's widely considered one of the top avian vets in Florida. And I don't think I could ever be turned off of Amazons...their spice is nice! I will eventually want a bird, once my heart heals up and I can put together a little something. You know, I have been so lucky on this forum....everyone has been kind and generous with advice and with kind words. Thank you!:hug8:

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone...just wanted to give you all an update and perhaps a happy ending to all my travails. I've adopted a beautiful, healthy, friendly Cape Parrot named Nini. Though I've only had her a couple of weeks, she has stolen my heart with her sweet nature and gentle clownish ways. She's not an Amazon, but is soooooo wonderful!! Thank you again for all the help, advice, and kind words.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Glad to see you back again, and even though it's not a zon, I am sure one day you will eventually get one and if not, you have a great companion bird now. :hug8:

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
I am so sorry for your loss. For anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA (western PA - eastern OH - W. VA panhandle) area, the Pittsburgh affiliate of PEAC is having a class at 11:30 on Sat., May 19, 2012, that addresses the characteristics of the different parrot species that are commonly kept as companion birds. This is followed by a discussion group at 1:00, where regular (as such), parrot keeping people talk about their personal experiences and stories, with different kinds of parrots. http://www.pitpeac.org The class free to members of any of the various PEAC affiliates and cheap to attend for non- members (but membership in PEAC is cheap, too!). THE DISCUSSION GROUP, RIGHT AFTER THE CLASS, IS FREE TO EVERYBODY!

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you were able to find a bird to love. I've heard nothing but good things about capes and so happy to see them being kept as pets more often. I think you made a good choice. I do hope you get an amazon in your life someday.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.