• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Need Advice on Bird Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Hi all - I'm currently trying to filter through all the reading I've done to decide which Amazon I'd like, and which would suit me best.I have some experience, having once had a DYH who was starved, wormy, and abandoned on a golf course. Lola was about 10-12 years old and mostly good with me...but was vicious with everyone else and he ended up puncturing my elderly mother's Achilles' tendon. At the time I did a few short trips and I could never find anyone to care for him while I was gone and even the boarding facility wasn't thrilled with his aggression either. Ultimately, rather than pass him off to an unsuspecting buyer, I found him a home with a local breeder who found him a mate and has him in a large flight with his 'girlfriend' (totally think they're not married, LOL).I love the 'spicy' in Amazons - but know that a bird that is that aggressive is beyond my abilities as a relative novice. Talking ability isnt that big a deal for me. I'm no longer traveling (ok, perhaps a weekend escape once or twice a year) and want a fid. In reading and asking around (asked Lola's avian vet), I have repeatedly heard that I should try for a YC or BF. That was the vet's pick, and he said try for a female. I've heard Panama and LC are very sweet too.Right now there is a breeder with YC, and another with a Panama. The P is considerably less money (hey, I'm a teacher, not a cheapskate), but it seems that the breeder is far more large scale. I'm looking at about 1300 (this includes shipping) for the YC and about 900 for the P. BF are some months away from egg laying. I'm in no hurry, and i know it's all about socializationbut i want to share my home and life with a bird who will love me too...and not kill my family.Thanks for reading this! Thoughts?

Jen_ConureLvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
You aren't dead set on an Amazon then? Perhaps a smaller bird would be less intimidating?
I figure the smaller the beak the better IMO.

I am a bird novice too, and would never attempt to adopt or handle a macaw or amazon without
having more experience. It sounds tho like you do have experience tho.

Have you conisdered looking into a Congo Grey? I hear they make really good family pets
and entertain themselves well with a variety of toys.

Oh and welcome to AA~~ :hug7:

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO a Blue Front can be just as challenging as a DYH. They also are one of the 'hot 3'. Those two, and the Yellow Naped are infamous for hormonal aggression. Experienced owners advised! :p

Is size important? Some of the smaller Zons may suit you well. The smaller Green Cheeked Amazon is one that's very engaging, and gorgeous to boot.

The Lilac Crowned, Orange Wing and Red Lored, come to mind for the larger sized Amazons. The Yellow Crowned also seems to be a great Zon, beloved by their owners.

If large is your thing, you've the huge gentle Mealy's to consider. I do believe though that, that 'spice' you like, is toned down in these gentle giants.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I understand - there is something about an Amazon that nothing else can simulate!
Blue Fronts are one of the hot three - if you wonder what that means - see here
What's Wrong With Amazons - Amazons - Joannie Doss

In addition to my BFA, I have an Orange wing, and they are definitely all amazon, but generally with a less volatile temper.
I think a Panama would be a wonderful companion also.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I just love the smaller Amazons and their beaks are less scary. I think it would be best for you to get a hand fed baby (locally, not shipped) that you know the full history of and can socialize appropriately. I say local because I think it's important for you to meet with the bird many times before bringing it home. Also, an older bird that's well socialized with a known past from a reputable rescue would be great. Again, meet with the bird a few times and bring different people with you each time.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I breed yellow napes and I'm also a teacher. Generally the species most prone to aggression are the napes, double yellows, blue fronts and the odd yellow headed family amazon which can include yellow crowns and sometimes panamas. However, its generally the males that really throw their weight into it doing major damage and come across the room to get you. I like my female napes which would probably be similar to female yellow crowns. They've got some attitude, they can bite, but generally they hold back a little more than males. Females make me bleed a little. Males make me need stitches and antibiotics. Personally if given a choice between blue front and yellow crown I'd say females of both would make excellent pets. Males of both have the potential for outrageous aggression like your other bird had. With the blue front maybe a little more likely than the yellow crown to take it to the extremem although any yellow headed family amazon to me has the potential to get that way.

My personal pick for all around good birds would be #1 lilac crowns and #2 orange wings. Both tend to be cheaper than the birds you listed. Less likely to talk but great personality. I prefer the females, but I wouldn't sweat it if all they had were males. Orange wings have a natural pitch to their scream that would drive me up th wall, but that is the only reason I have them as #2. When in doubt, get a girl, make sure its handleable and sweet you'll probably have a good friend for life so long as your willing to forgive a little excess of spice here and there.
Melissa

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Are you set on a baby from a breeder?

Check rescues in your area. There are a heartbreakingly large number of birds that need homes.

You may be able to meet and get to know a bird before bringing it home. You may also find out more about the bird and it's personality that way.

I'm sure there are people here who will be able to recommend rescue organizations in your area.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I have an excellent breeder friend in Florida, who's been love with Amazons for more than 40years. If you'd like, I can put you in touch and he and his wife would answer any questions you have.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
There is a bird store in Wilton manors that has a few birds up for rehoming. I see your in Miami just like I am. Check out "everything for the birds" and the golden cockatoo. I have found these two stores to be very knowledgable and a great place to interact hands on with the birds. Also type in the word parrot on Craigslist main page and you will find many looking to rehome their parrots. I have no amazon experience though.

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion, but I really think the Congo isn't for me. Lovely birds, but a little too dusty.

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Hi - thank you for the great advice. I am open to the smaller ones, though I have had little interaction with them. The article was great and food for thought. :)

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Yes, am open to a rescue but weirdly in my part of Florida it seems shops and the newspaper are how this works. Florida Parrot Rescue operates out of areas further north. But here's my issue - truth be told, many of the rehomes I've seen are screamers, 'special needs'/injured birds, biters, or species I really don't want (here it seems macaws are the majority). Would I be doing a bird any good if I don't know how to truly rehabilitate it? And I am concerned about getting another bird like Lola - very aggressive. I will keep rescues and rehomes on the radar, though. Thank you for your comment!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wouldn't get any amazon if you don't want any slight chance of aggression and jealousy and biting from happening.

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
Ah, I'm okay with some bites and bleeding (on my part), and even a primarily one person bird. Just not one that is homicidal or sends someone to the hospital and months of physical therapy. :(

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I highly recommend an Orange Winged. I have 3 - 1 pet and a pair that are former breeders. All my guys are super sweet. My "pet" - Jay, is my heart bird. I adopted her from a rescue in PA. It was love at first sight :heart: My former breeders Ava and Frankie are hands off but are not aggressive in anyway. Don't get me wrong, OW's can be aggressive but I believe they are a lot less aggressive then the "Hot 3" (BF, YN and DYH).

AmazonFan

Meeting neighbors
GlassOnion...can't message you or your friend until I have 20 posts. Could I trouble you to send him my post and have him message me? Thank you!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
my blue front was a Re home...he was so sweet. would go to anyone, was totally predictable and my sweet man....I Miss him so much. he was totally opposite the " hot three" conception...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.