• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help me. Baby cockatiel not eating!!!

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
@barry collins How is the 'tiel doing today?
Eaten some food at every feeding and been flying again today! Looking healthy again, I will weigh her again in the morning before breakfast to see if she has changed at all. She isn't as enthusiastic about eating as her siblings are but she is eating so I'm happy. I think the problem was she was too old to start handfeeding as she had a good bond with her mum previously and the change was confusing for her.

I say her as I think a lutino pearl has to have a visual mother to be a boy? Is that correct do you know? Her mother is cinnamon pearl pied with unknown splits and her dad is a grey with unknown splits? But lutino is sex linked so she only needs one from her dad to show as a girl but one from each to be a boy. So I guess her grey dad is split to lutino and pearl ?

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
So glad you were able to find a solution to get her eating again!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As for breeding/genetics I don't know a lot. I know that males are XX and females are XY and to have the visual of a mutation such as lutino it has to on the X from both parents for a male. If mom is cinnamon pearl pied I don't think she would contribute a lutino X and so it would be coming from dad and your conclusion might be correct but then I am not that knowledgeable and there are others here who have expertise in this area.
Excellent that she is doing well. Is she eating more on her own?

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
When my baby teil was fledgling and learning to fly , he started refusing baby food, so i offered millet spray and fruit pellets small enough that he could mess with in his cage. he was eating about twice in a day , he would skip mornings all together and then eat mid day and then again before bed time and start the process all over. that went on for about a week or so before he started eating straight millet and refused anything else. he was on millet for like another 2 weeks during this time. before i removed millet to as little as possible mixed with his pellets and he started eating then.

baby birds are weird when they stop eating and its very worrying when they drop in weight to become light enough to fly. i second the notion of a vet visit. specially to make sure that the baby is healthy . but as per my experiecnce with my teil , frost, he was a weird eater and dropped weight rather fast too. but you never want to go with someone elses word, since well all birds are different.

please keep us updated :)

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Baby Luna is eating well again so definitely looking good!
They have millet and crushed pellets to play with but none are eating yet but I'm not sure how early they start to eat other foods. Luna is 38 days old in the morning. But 3 flying, all except tiny and he is such a character small but with a big attitude.

Spnfox

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathy
@barry collins

what i did was when i would have frost out as a baby, i would pick at the millet with my fingers as if eating it, and he would pick at it while i did that. so it spurred him to try it himself. maybe that will help :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the babies are all doing well and that Luna has turned herself around and is eating. Give those Cheerios a try.

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Tiny is the only normal grey and is 6 days younger than Luna who is biggest lutino.
They look a bit scruffy from being plucked by mum and dad and from just been fed.
But he is the loudest and first to be fed EVERY time.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove::xflove: Squeeeeee! Liddle fiddies! :heart::heart::heart::heart: I always love how baby tiels grow their mohawk first and then grow everything else in ....

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What an adorable little baby!:heart::heart::heart:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Cuteness!!! I'm so glad that he is doing better.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful and you are doing a good job with them. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!