• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! a hard choice...

XionSparkle

Moving in
Real Name
Xion
Wasent sure where to put this, so if this is the wrong spot im sorry! having a bit of a delma here... So i work for AAA and the other day i helped the owner of a bird store, and she let me come in and meet the birds since i was on lunch after that. I was talking to her about what would be a good starter bird, and she said a Love bird would be. So she went and got me one, a 2 month old peachfaced lovebird who i sort of named mango salsa. i spent about 3 hours with it and it just won my heart. It seemed to really enjoy my company and i loved handling the little guy. I'm totaly hooked. This woman has been in the bird game for something like 20 years or more, so im guessing she was right when she said anything. My concern is that i work 4 days a week, 10 hours a day. I work sunday monday tuseday, and friday. im home the rest of the time doing art. I'm home for lunch most of the time when im at work, too and im up all night and its at night, so i'd be spending all night with my little friend i just want to find out if a lovebird with a lot of toys would be alright 4 days a week 10 hours a day by him self if i spend the morning and night with him the days i work and than most of the day when im off (Most of because i'd be sleeping when im not giving mango salsa as i call him all my attention) She told me they adapt to your scedual and he would be totaly fine because he's so young, if he got use to it now he'd be ok and even get excited when he knew i was coming home... She's not trying to push me to buy the bird what so ever since these little guys are so popular, so i dont tinhk its jsut trying to make a sale... She genuinely loves birds. So i came here for some advise, dose this sound right to you fine feathered folk? :p sorry couldent help the bad joke... But really i do need help, this little bird has jsut won my heart and i'm pretty sure i cant NOT get him! Not with how wonderful he is!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have a female lovebird. She does very well in a cage by herself for much of the day. She is in a flight cage so she has plenty of room...and she uses every bit of that cage! She enjoys toys - lots if shredding toys and toys that make noise...such as those with bells. Good luck!

XionSparkle

Moving in
Real Name
Xion
I have a female lovebird. She does very well in a cage by herself for much of the day. She is in a flight cage so she has plenty of room...and she uses every bit of that cage! She enjoys toys - lots if shredding toys and toys that make noise...such as those with bells. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm sold than! I don't think I could have said no anyway, thus little bird is so cute!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on your new addition! We love pictures :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Most birds adapt very well to our schedules as long as they have a nice big cage with plenty of interesting toys of various textures to explore and play with along with foraging toys to keep their smart little brains busy. Then when you are home you can spend quality time with him/her.

Congratulations! :D

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats!

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I think a lovebird would make a lovely pet for you :)

I'm just going to repeat what everyone else said in that a bird will get used to your schedule. On those days that you will be gonefor 10+ hours, jUST make sure that you give him a few hours of love.

Something that you will need is a.nice big cage. A flight cage is your best bet. I'm currently on my phone right now, so I can't bring up any links, but if you Google flight cage, you will get the idea of what I mean. You can find a good flight cage for around 150$, which may seem kind of expensive, but your bird will definitely appreciate it!

Fill it with toys that can be shredded and destroyed. That is how birds play, by breakingthings :hehe:

Avoid mirrors or toys with reflective parts. Birds will become attached and possessive about it, so its best to skip the mirror.

The diet should consist of some seeds, a dye free/ scent free pellet (roudybush is what my guys get, but Harrison's is also very good), and fresh foods. You don't need to feed your bird meats, but fresh fruits, veggies and grains are really good for their health. Avoid foods with excess salts and sugars, and most processed foods. My lovebird LOVES fresh fruit and brocoli. Note that avocado, coffee, alcohol, And chocolate are all toxic to birds.

Also, teflon pans (nonstick) release toxic fumesto the air which will kill your lovebird. Instead, cook with cast iron or stainless steel.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats, I can feel your excitement. Birds require daily care & cage cleaning & they can be messy.
It's work that most of us don't mind doing for our feathered friends. Sweet you guys already have a bond.
I got a new adult a week ago & we are slowly getting to know each other.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think lovebird's are great and so adorable. My only advice would be to consider DNA sexing the bird to find out if it is a male or female before deciding. Females can turn quite bitey when they reach sexual maturity. I had that happen with mine who was a handraised sweet baby that I could do absolutely anything with. Until she layed an egg. Then I couldn't handle her anymore. Not saying it will definitely happen, but most of the females we saw at the avian clinic I worked at were very aggressive. Just a though

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
There is NO such thing as a starter bird :) With research, patience and commitment, any species can be a great one for a new-to-birds owners.

It sounds like you really adore this little lovie already :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, how adorable!! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
AWWW....you two are fast friends! Such sweet pictures!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I agree with the others. As long as you start them young, your bird will adjust. I got Bella at 7 weeks old and except for showing me her butt when I get home, she is a well adjusted bird. I have a hectic schedule where I work from 6A to sometimes 7-8P or I work nights. Since I've been doing this ever since I got her, she is used to it. She has a large cage and lots of toys. Your lovie is beautiful. Congrats :)

XionSparkle

Moving in
Real Name
Xion
I agree with the others. As long as you start them young, your bird will adjust. I got Bella at 7 weeks old and except for showing me her butt when I get home, she is a well adjusted bird. I have a hectic schedule where I work from 6A to sometimes 7-8P or I work nights. Since I've been doing this ever since I got her, she is used to it. She has a large cage and lots of toys. Your lovie is beautiful. Congrats :)
Yikes! you need a brake i think! haha. And thank you!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwww what a sweetheart.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We are ^^ she warmed up to me really really fast. After only spending about two hours with her she was already completly calm and than that picture happened X3
I hope you'll stick around and keep giving us pics and updates! :D Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :joyful: