• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello. New to forums not to parrots ~:>

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Are you on Baytril or Doxycycline?

A word about that injection. The Doxycycline injection is a very large needle and the medication is very thick. Two of my macaws have had it and one was fine but sore, the other had a massive allergic reaction and became a flying vomiting volcano. He bled quite a bit from this injection and was extremely sore. Both times this injection was given by an ER vet and not my regular avian vet. When talking about it with my avian vet he said it's causes muscle damage and he does not use them.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Are you on Baytril or Doxycycline?

A word about that injection. The Doxycycline injection is a very large needle and the medication is very thick. Two of my macaws have had it and one was fine but sore, the other had a massive allergic reaction and became a flying vomiting volcano. He bled quite a bit from this injection and was extremely sore. Both times this injection was given by an ER vet and not my regular avian vet. When talking about it with my avian vet he said it's causes muscle damage and he does not use them.
I want to add my 2c to this too. Having little birds, the needle we got was just a regular gauge syringe with only a small amount of the med, but my vet did warn of the possibility of potentially severe and long lasting side effects. The worst of the potential ones are quite rare, but things similar to the above by @Macawnutz I don't think are so uncommon. The worst we got was tenderness and bruising around the injection sites (they both had to have it once a week for six weeks). Anakin did also fuss a lot with the feathers around where the needle went it. One of his injections bled quite a bit as well, and required a fair amount of time with a tissue pressed up against it for it to slow down. The other thing that I noticed in my guys after the injection (which was followed by metacam for pain) was that they trembled a lot, and they trembled hard. I don't know if @Macawnutz had the same experience there. It was kind of upsetting to see for me.

cyndist

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Okay thanks. Will be chopping up veggies for them to eat while we do.. They like to make you feel guilty if you are eating and they aren't. Tiel, thank you

cyndist

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi Macawnutz and Luna. Somehow missed your posts. Thanks for the information on the Doxycycline. Peanut already had one injection of the Doxycycline with the follow up on this coming Monday. Peanut seemed to do fine after the injection. They did do half on one side and half on the other side. The needle from what I can see (not taking cover off) Peanut is also on Baytril twice a day.
How are your birds now? The trembling sounds scarey. And the vomiting volcano so sorry to hear that and scarey also.
So were they dx with liver disease? I'm just scared I'm going to fail Peanut.
Thanks
cindy

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Both of mine are absolutely fine now. They finished treatment in April of last year (they were being treated for psittacosis). Just keep an eye on Peanut's behaviour and see that the injetion sites aren't upsetting her. I was told to watch for drowsiness as well. She sounds like she's doing okay, though. :)

cyndist

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Ah glad to hear they are doing fine. Peanut went into the local vet for her injection today. The vet didn't do it the vet techs did it. I'm just glad it's over with for the injections.
She actually talked last night and it's been quite some time since she spoke =)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check with your vet regarding using aloe detox with Peanut. However there is milk thistle in this and you are already giving milk thistle. I've used aloe detox with a bird who had major liver damage (supposedly end stage liver disease). Gave time for liver cells to regenerate and no more problems with liver. She did pass but 8 years after this diagnosis and not from liver issues.
Liver Disease / Fatty Liver in Birds Scroll down for info about aloe detox.
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds

cyndist

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thanks, I am who I am. Funny you bring up Aloe Detox. I was searching aloe and all things liver related and came across your post when you first posted about it. I will definitely give the vet a call when Peanut is done with her abx. Almost there.
Thanks for the links =)
Cindy

Last edited: