• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone! I’m new here and would really love some advice!

Which species?

• Parrotlet

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Lovebird

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Green cheek conure

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
We have a local pet store that have birds out of there cage and some can be nippy, and you really can't get to know the bird in that type of atmosphere. You might try and find a local breeder, see if they would let you spend some time with their birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
None of my handraised lovebirds bite, ever.

Have you considered a budgie? Just another option :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome!!!

Toni D.

Moving in
Real Name
Toni Denunzio
I have had lovebirds, cockatiels and a parrotlet. The lovebirds I had only 1 at a time and they were both so sweet and fun personalities. Both liked to be with me, and were kinda cuddly. They can get chatty but nothing as loud as a conure. The parrotlet did not like being handled but would ride around on my head. The cockatiel is very sweet and this one has been pretty quiet but not as happy with being handled as my lovebirds were. I'm a lovebird girl!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Toni D. That is co sweet :)

My parrotlet is a serious cuddle bug. I think it depends on the bird. I would say he wants a head rub 96% of the time. The 4% of the time that he doesn't accept a head scratch he shows regret and ends up bowing for one. He will also sleep in my pocket/hair for hours when it is cooler outside. I haven't had a lovebird, so I can't compare the two. Parrotlet wise though, they do require a highly vigilant owner. They are very busy and get into everything, being tiny means they can get hurt by everything. You need to be 3 steps ahead of them, they are fearless and don't acknowledge their tininess. They like having some of their own time to adventure, but also want you in their sights. My partner's parrotlet is cage territorial, but this is easy to manage and none problematic. Our birds work for us :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

PamBeasley

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
Romy, where are you located? Being around birds in person and actually being able to connect with them helps. We rescued our first bird, my profile photo, and he's a Parakeet. We were hoping for a more hands-on bird, but he's still pretty skiddish. After spending a lot of time at pet expos that had bird rescues, spending time with our friend who has a farm sanctuary that includes rescued birds of all kinds, watching YouTube videos and scouring around here on Avian Avenue, we were leaning towards Cockatiels, but fell in love with a 2-month-old hand-raised green cheek conure. We're not experts--I still post questions here on various forums, but our Westley is very affectionate. He actually was hand-trained TOO well: he expects to be out of his cage and with us all day. He goes in reluctantly, sometimes with a tantrum. He will sit on top of his cage when the parakeets are singing and mimic their songs. Conures don't sing like tiels and parakeets, but they mimic best they can. They have a sort of garbled/scratchy sounding speaking voice. My guy can definitely let out some ear piercing notes, but they are essentially when someone first comes home or he first sees someone after a while. Then he's actually pretty quiet. He makes this hilarious Mallard-type grunt when you're giving him scritches or petting him, or if he's walking to get to you. He'll call out (Westley's "hey, come get me" or "hi there!" is "Hey Baby") but if he's on/with us, he's quiet. I've taught him to give a kiss on my chin when I say "kiss kiss" and then sometimes he'll make the smooch sound. He is definitely mouthy/nippy, but conures just have busy beaks. Imagine a toddler running around a room touching everything at least once and then going back to the good toy to sit and play with is. Westley will hop down to my desk, put his beak on everything, then settle for a favorite to chew on, so I make sure it's good for him. Even in his biggest moment of anger he's not drawn blood. He has us belly laughing daily. He's really quite fun and also super sweet. He'll fall asleep either perched on a warm shoulder or lying on his belly nuzzled under a chin.

romy

Moving in
Thank you all so much for your help! All of your birds seem so lovely- and although I would love whichever I would get, it is so hard to choose!!

@PamBeasley
Westley sounds so sweet! I am located in England and have been looking at rescues but can’t seem to find any near me- would you suggest any other place where I could interact with birds? Thank you so much!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I would choose a green cheek or a cockatiel. If u want quiet, female cockatiels are usually the quieter of all parrots I’ve seen.

Most cockatiels like head rubs and hanging out on your shoulder, but not all will snuggle up you, and most don’t enjoy being flipped upside down on their back, not good candidates for the rollover or play dead trick. They have a very gentle nature and always want to be around u.

Parrotlets are more independent but can snuggle into ur hair .
Some like scritches , some don’t.

Budgies are high energy sweet little birds.

I don’t know much about ringnecks other then they aren’t that cuddly.

Green cheeks are playful and loving birds. They may require alot of interaction!

All parrots can be taught tricks, including cockatiels! Here’s a video of me training mine.

PamBeasley

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
@romy Thank you, he is a doll! Unfortunately, I only know of places in the United States. I wish you the best of luck though!