• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone! I’m new here and would really love some advice!

Which species?

• Parrotlet

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Lovebird

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Green cheek conure

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

romy

Moving in
I actually haven’t got a bird yet and was really wondering which species you would recommend for me. I obviously understand that each bird is an individual and you can’t guarantee a bird’s personality by their species but some help would be appreciated. I’m really torn between a few species- parrotlets, lovebirds and green cheek conures- but am open to any suggestions!
I live in a house, so although I would prefer a slightly quieter bird (as birds go!), noise isn’t the biggest concern for me. I’d really love an affectionate bird that would be willing to be handled, and being able to teach it tricks or something would be nice as well. Talking is of pretty much no concern to me as well. Happy to provide more info if it would be helpful and thanks everyone in advance!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Have you considered cockatiels at all? Many of them are very sweet and some thoroughly enjoy being petted. I'm working on teaching mine several tricks currently, including getting her to shake her head no on cue, so they can definitely be taught tricks. My cockatiel is super sweet and full of personality. She only contact calls when I'm out of site, but only does it several times as I've worked with her on it by rewarding her when she's quiet. She does chirp occasionally, which is soft.

I think Green Cheek Conures tend to be sweet as well overall, but they can be very nippy. As long as you don't mind that, that could be a good choice. I'll let the Lovebird owners give their advice on them. I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard they can be great companions as well. Parrotlets aren't usually into being handled all that much, although like you said, every bird is an individual so there are exceptions to all of these.

Kokonut&Me

Meeting neighbors
*from what I know* both parrotlets and lovebirds do better in pairs, so if you want either of them you need to consider that. Green cheeks are really really lovely and I was considering them before I fell in love with Cockatiels. Green cheeks are pretty quiet from what I know, and they come in so many pretty colors.I heard they tend to bite a good bit though. As said in the post above though, Cockatiels would make a lovely pet too. I have a male Cockatiel named Kokonut, he's got quite the personality. He Kisess me and is always so content when he's out on my shoulder.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have fostered a lovie and a parrotlet. My take on parrotlets is they're fairly independent birds. Super cute. But I don't think they're that hands on. Lovebirds can go either way I think. I haven't really read of people teaching them tricks but I'm sure they could learn. They're very playful. I don't have a GCC but I think that may better meet what you're looking for. Or as @AutumnRain said, tiels are wonderful little birds too. And welcome to the forum!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
In my experience GCCs can be a little nippy and sometimes can be clingy birds. but if you want a more hands on bird with a big personality then perhaps GCCs would be more suitable though their beaks are quite powerful compared to their size.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have two lovebirds. I bought them about two years apart. When we bought the first guy I was thinking lovebird or parrolet. The breeder said that lovebirds are a friendlier bird.... that being said, that was a lovebird breeder who wanted to make a sale, but I believed her.

The first guy is very loving and has totally bonded with me. The other guy has only been with us a month and isn't the friendliest.

In looking for a second bird I was thinking of a Green Cheek, but I found them a bit bigger and someone told me they could be loud... actually lovebirds can be quite loud as wekk. I also wanted a Cockatiel, but I hear they have a lot of dander. My wife has allergies, so that wasn't an option. She doesn't have any issues with our lovebirds.

Unless you have someone who has owned all the different species it is sort of hard to know who to go by. Maybe go to a couple of different breeders and see what you think of the different birds? I would personally go with a lovebird given my experience with the first one. If the new guy doesn't warm up then I would have a different answer, but all birds like people are different. Coming from someone who never owned a bird before I do not regret getting a bird. They are amazing pets and so smart and have such a personality. I would have expected that from cats and dogs, but now that I own a bird I know better!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. If you can, you should go out and interact with a few different bird species. Although one can make generalizations about species' characteristics ever bird is different.
If you have allergies, asthma or any respiratory sensitivity then cockatiels are probably not for you.
You might also want to consider a Poicephalus such as a Meyer's, Senegal or Red-bellied parrot.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome aboard @romy
I'd say you've got to consider a cockatiel. Males can be quite loud but females, in my experience, can be just as vocal but much quieter. The females also seem to have a calmer manner. Also they'll only give a proper full-on bite if they feel really threatened, whereas a conure can get quite nippy.
Yes, I'm slightly biased because my main bird is a female tiel, but during my time as a foster parront/carer I had plenty of tiels, lovebirds, parrotlets and Conure's. As a companion cockatiels can give you all you're looking for. Remember though, female=quieter.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome aboard @romy
I'd say you've got to consider a cockatiel. Males can be quite loud but females, in my experience, can be just as vocal but much quieter. The females also seem to have a calmer manner. Also they'll only give a proper full-on bite if they feel really threatened, whereas a conure can get quite nippy.
Yes, I'm slightly biased because my main bird is a female tiel, but during my time as a foster parront/carer I had plenty of tiels, lovebirds, parrotlets and Conure's. As a companion cockatiels can give you all you're looking for. Remember though, female=quieter.
I have never had a cockatiel, but they seem very nice. I think I would have gotten one if it weren't for them having a lot of dander. If someone has allergies, that is something they have to take into account.
As I said in a previous post I have a lovebird and I couldn't ask for a better bird (other than the feather picking). I recommend a co-worker buy one and they are not pleased, their bird behaves totally different.

Good Luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
*from what I know* both parrotlets and lovebirds do better in pairs, so if you want either of them you need to consider that.
To add to this, a single lovebird if fine on it´s own only if you can give it time and be it´s companion. Sydney was my first bird, he was fine for over a year on his own, it was me buying ¨a friend¨for him that led to the second bird.
Sydney still lives alone. Sydney is happy.
Maybe Sydney and Adelie will bond, but I doubt it, and that´s ok

I haven't really read of people teaching them tricks but I'm sure they could learn.
Youtube has plenty of videos of Lovebirds doing tricks :)

female=quieter.
Is this just Tiels you are refering to? My Aldora is the ring leader and her call splits your brain and makes your eyes water haha

I´m biased, but I say lovebirds are a great bird. But to be fair... I do hear a lot about how great tiels are. So they are worth looking into :)

Welcome to the forum Romy :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is this just Tiels you are refering to?
Sorry yes. Male tiels can really rattle your brain, especially their flock calls. Females are a lot sweeter and really pleasant to listen to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry yes. Male tiels can really rattle your brain, especially their flock calls. Females are a lot sweeter and really pleasant to listen to.
Very interesting :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My male 'tiel can get very loud but nothing compare to my cockatoos and my YNA. I think he is the loudest male 'tiel I have ever had. That being said I like his voice and his calls.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Male tiels can really rattle your brain, especially their flock calls. Females are a lot sweeter and really pleasant to listen to.
...tiels, even the boys, aren't that loud to me...and I've had finches, canaries, budgies, IRNs, conures, and cockatoos. I'd slot them above budgies, but below IRNs on the "noise" list.

And I've had girl tiels that can equal...or better... some boys in loudness...but on a whole, girls are sweet, more demure than the boys...;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the group :)

You should select your bird independently of our votes. You will live with the bird for many many years and should have no regrets or wishes that you went with the wrong species.

When I am considering the species one of my first steps is to listen to them vocalizing or calling at their loudest. There are so many youtube videos of birds vocalizing. Ask yourself if you are bothered by the sound, be honest to yourself. Would it be something that bugs you day after day. None of my bird's vocalizations bother me. So I live happily with them, but I have heard other species that don't agree with me. Everyone is different, so there is no judgement. It is easy to find adorable birds, doing adorable antics, I just hope you look for some of the less pleasant videos too. Birds have bad days like people do, you want to be able to handle them at their worst and at their best.

Also the above comments are also 100% spot on! Consider things like dander/dust allergies. Dusty birds can cause health problems for some people and other pets so it is a very important consideration.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well, I'll toss in my two cents. I had a pair of cockies, knew them since they were eggs. Male was a whistler and and very vocal, female was so neurotic she couldn't sleep without a night light. Many nights I woke up to a thrashing bird with broken blood feathers. The were not "normal's", hybrid, very white and yellow. I bought a hand tame male years later great bird until he got tangled in my necklace and I had to cut it away before he strangled. Had a heart attack when I turned on the vacuum cleaner. I have met some that are very sweet and talk up a storm when the only bird.

Same neighbor gave me a pair of Peach Faced Love Birds, Peaches and Cream.. He told me Cream was the male. Can't tell by color. Cream always stressed out Peaches by throwing his leg over her and she was always fussing at him. Cream passed and Peaches became a different bird. I would walk around with her in my pocket and became a loving bird. She die a ripe old age of 25. Love Birds can be raised alone, Peaches came out of her shell when the male died. They are very noisy and active birds, I loved them.

My advise is to spend as much time as you can with what bird you may want and research, research the internet. Best wishes for you search on your feather friend.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
My only advice when it comes to loudness is to stay away from sun conures :hehe: I love my girl (Luna), but she can bring the house down with one squawk! Good luck on your search!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I have heard a conure scream and they are very loud. Even though my love birds were squawkers you get used to it.

romy

Moving in
Thank you so much everyone for your help! I hadn’t really considered cockatiels before, although I’m not sure why as they do seem like such lovely birds! So, as a generalisation, what I can see is that parrotlets are less what I thought they were like, and probably less suitable for me, green cheek conures are lovely but can be nippy (this isn’t a huge problem for me- I’ve had a snake who liked to bite before!), lovebirds can be lovely as well, and cockatiels are definitely worth considering!! I wouldn’t be getting the bird for a while (up to a year or so, probably) , as I would take some time to research and try to meet some of the species. Although, I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of place I could go for this, as I can’t seem to find any near me? I would be able to spend about 4- 6 hours a day interacting with the bird, so would definitely put the time in. I have no allergies, so that’s not really a concern either. Again, thank you all so much for your help- you’re all amazing!!