• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HANDFEEDING

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
He just ate well again. But that’s good to know that’s why he’s opening his mouth I was starting to think he was still hungry. Crop looked empty or close to when I just fed him. I’ve been feeding him at least 4x a day.he seems to Be exploring with his mouth a little bit. I should find out hatch date soon. Very ends of the wings are starting to get feathers. So how much weight should he gain per day or every few days?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here he is after lunch
Precious!

Weight numbers aren´t too important, the main thing is it goes up, no matter how slow. It´s important to weigh him when his crop is empty, and write it down to make sure his weight does not go down whilst being handfed the formula. It will all change once he starts experimenting with other food.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations, I’m so glad you get to keep him!:starshower1:

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Happy Naming Day Milton! I’m so very happy for you. You’ve worked hard & I’m glad she didn’t quibble on the price. And @Zara is right. It doesn’t matter how much he gains as long as he keeps a positive trend.

He’s adorable. If he seems to be mouthing things it just means he feels better and is exploring his environment. They are just like human babies in that sense. They explore things by licking or mouthing/biting stuff. It’s especially important to keep Milton’s area clean since you know he will be sticking everything in his mouth.

How fun! :D

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
I have a few layers of paper towel down and swap them out 2x a day. She said he was hatched the end of December she thinks which would make him almost 5 weeks looking at him that doesn’t seem right

Kodigirl210

Milton could be 4-5 weeks especially if she wasn’t feeding or taking care of him properly. Their growth will slow down to deprivation.

You could start seeing if Milton will take tiny tiny bits of soaked pellets or you could just feed him formula exclusively to get his strength up and start letting him exploring solid food next week.

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
Hmmm I don’t have any pellets on hand right now just seeds. From what I understand he was parent raised until 2 days before she left

Kodigirl210

Being parent raised doesn’t mean anything. If he was the smallest of the clutch The parents might very well have ignored him & he may have needed handfeeding to get the nutrition to grow. Some parents don’t want to take care of their babies at all. Sad as it is, it really depends on the parents first, how many in the clutch second and what position he was in the nest third. It doesn’t matter now though, you have him and have already started getting him back on track to a healthy and happy life :D

Kodigirl210

For example my CAG was parent-raised for the first 4-weeks. She was probably half the size of a CAG from the same breeder who was 4-weeks younger than her because the mother didn’t take very good care of Sif. She will never hit the size that most CAGs do. Sif will always be petite. I would be surprised if she made it to 500g. Shocked actually.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He doesn't have the appearance of a malnourished bird, IMO. Sometimes it's difficult for babies to adjust from being fed by mom and dad to being fed by humans. He's very cute. He is the only baby in the clutch, correct. Millet is a good weaning food as well as moistened and softened pellets and cooked mixed veggies. Cheerios can also be used but not too many. They are easy for the baby birds to pick up.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I decided to pull Scully and Mulder, red-bellied parrots, they were 4 weeks old. They had hatched the same day but Mulder was larger than Scully in both weight and size. I think there was about an 18-20 gram difference in weight. I wasn't 100% sure I was going to pull them but I felt that I needed to because of Scully's size. He was VERY difficult to hand feed but the solution was to feed Mulder first which pissed Scully off and then he ate quite well. It took a while but Scully did catch up. He is a little bit shorter than Mulder but stockier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
His eyes look very bright and he looks very alert. Congrats, btw, on deciding to purchase him.

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
Thank you very much I wasn’t expecting to but I’m very excited. I just fell in love