• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gulp! Look what we found Part 2

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
You might recall that a little while ago we found a rather large snake skin in our shed. Well, tonight we found the contents of the skin!!! He is beautiful, I don't know a lot about snakes but he (apparently, according to the young girl next door he is a he because he has a pointy tail and by the shape of his head) looks so plump and shiny that I think he must be healthy. My husband is in the process (still :rolleyes:) of cleaning out our shed and tonight he moved a rubbishy old wardrobe we are getting rid of and ....there he was, snuggled in and having a little nap!!
So, he is now sitting quietly in a pillow case and tomorrow he will go for a short ride to the RSPCA who will relocate him - away from our chooks (hens) and away from Gypsy. Oh, and we weighed him - just under 5 kilos!! And don't worry, we have closed the pillow case so he won't be roaming around the house tonight or anything :D

DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
You can just see his head in this last photo.
DSC_0005.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
Wow s/he is stunning

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That I believe is a coastal carpet python, very common in QLD. Beautiful snakes that come in a huge colour variety and im glad to see that ur helping it rather then shovelling it :)

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
That I believe is a coastal carpet python, very common in QLD. Beautiful snakes that come in a huge colour variety and im glad to see that ur helping it rather then shovelling it :)
Oh, we would never shovel it!!! :bignono: We love snakes, and have had a bit of practice bagging them up. We were the unofficial snake wranglers when we lived in Cooktown! Only pythons and the like though, nothing venomous - I know my limits!! We have seen a few little snakes around before, pythons and tree snakes but this one is definitely the granddaddy. :D

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Its good to hear of another snake lover, they truly are awesome.. little or big :). Oh yeah coastals get big but nothing like a good ol scrubby or olive hehe, would love to own one of these beauts one day.

Vens are abit scary but that doesn't deter me lol I plan to own a red belly in the near future :)

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Happy to see photos of your red belly one day, but I think that is about as close as I would like to get :)

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
In all honesty that's the only ven im willing to own, taipans are cool but way to deadly, I would be too afraid of getting bitten lol. But when it comes to pythons, for me the bigger is better :D, I would own a retic if I were able to hehe.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
He is awesomely beautiful...You know I don't particularly like them either, but I appreciate their beauty and their absolute right to be here and so nice to see that someone respects them.

animallover

Jogging around the block
:omg: I just fainted...........:hehe::hehe: Sorry but I do not like snakes or any kind of rodents. Even a picture of them makes me quizzy to my stomach. In real life I run or faint.........:lol: Glad you have relocated it...........but could you relocate it to like another planet????

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
:heart: What a beauty! I love snakes, but we moved here I had to get used to the fact I couldn't just reach down and grab any ole snake - we have poisonous ones! Not much of a concern in MI where the only poisonous snake was the MI Rattler and those were rare to find.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Wow! How cool to find that! Thanks for not killing him!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Are Pythons native to Australia I thought not for some reason. I know they're doing a number on Florida's wildlife. I was just wondering if they're not Native to Australia if they are a damaging species there too.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
BEAUTIFUL :heart:

I LOVE snakes, I have a 3 yr old corn snake named Skittles, a Ball Python is the biggest I would ever own though.
A very good friend of mine has a rock python plus a HUGE ananconda, whenever I want my giant fix I can go and visit him haha.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
What a beauty! Like others said, I'm always happy to hear stories of people being kind to snakes instead of killing them. They're one of my favorite animals. :)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Wow that guy is huge! Was he as docile as he looks? I like snakes but just looking at them. I use to catch garter snakes when I saw them when I was younger but that wasn't terribly often. They are probably the only snakes I would like to touch considering how small they are LOL.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Are Pythons native to Australia I thought not for some reason. I know they're doing a number on Florida's wildlife. I was just wondering if they're not Native to Australia if they are a damaging species there too.
Yes, we have many native snakes including quite a range of pythons. I don't know a lot about them but I don't believe that they are a problem for our wildlife, I mean they do eat the wildlife but I think we have more trouble with feral cats harming wildlife than snakes.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Wow that guy is huge! Was he as docile as he looks? I like snakes but just looking at them. I use to catch garter snakes when I saw them when I was younger but that wasn't terribly often. They are probably the only snakes I would like to touch considering how small they are LOL.
Yes he was pretty docile. We think he might have settled down for the winter as the weather has definitely turned cooler here. That's why we are taking him to the RSPCA rather than just releasing him somewhere, we don't want to put him in the wrong place.