• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grooming eyelashes....anywhere else?

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Our lovebird Tito absolutely loves being on our shoulders. It's become a perch for him. If he is anywhere in the house and we call, he will come flying and land on the shoulder of the person calling for him.

He just stared doing this funny thing. He is in love with my daughter's eyelashes. He is so attracted to her eyelashes, it's become very funny. He never hurts her and we trust him completely. Still, we are trying to distract him to stop. Anyone else have their fids who like to groom weird places?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oo yes! Fea looooves eyelashes and brows too! Lately he has been very gentle, before he would explore my face and bite sometimes:rofl: henkie does not really preen but he kind of kisses my Eyelids and such with his beak/tongue, I really have no idea how to explain it I just let him do it cause I trust him, but I am a bit careful with Fëanor:)
I love your little friend! Tito has gotten into my heart:heart:

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky loves to gently take my husbands eyelid in her mouth and lick on it. I think maybe it is salty and she likes that. With me she likes to steal my chapstick and tries to get in my nose sometimes.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
They can be so affectionate and OCD clean! Tito doesn't clean my lashes at all but my daughters? Oh Lordy...he's in love with just her eyes.

Oo yes! Fea looooves eyelashes and brows too! Lately he has been very gentle, before he would explore my face and bite sometimes:rofl: henkie does not really preen but he kind of kisses my Eyelids and such with his beak/tongue, I really have no idea how to explain it I just let him do it cause I trust him, but I am a bit careful with Fëanor:)
@TikiMyn thank you so much! I'm in love with Ms. Pippin as well! I loved the photo of her with her harness and she is turning her head back around to say, "come on...let's go!" Her feets are so cute! I love love their soft feet! :cloud9: My chickens' feets are also soft and so cute! I'm so glad Tito isn't the only one! He does my hair and sometimes likes to pick off dry skin if I have any. How adorable you get your brows and lashes groomed! :pinklol2:

@Donna turner, I'm cracking up about the eyelid thing! The nose thing is making me laugh and my dogs are looking at me like "what's up?!!" :laughing6:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp loves eyebrows and eyelashes! He also loves to chew on my hair. If he goes and hangs out on my dad, and he hasn't shaved in a while, Chirp will try to preen his stubble :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Cheeky loves to gently take my husbands eyelid in her mouth and lick on it. I think maybe it is salty and she likes that. With me she likes to steal my chapstick and tries to get in my nose sometimes.
Omg that in your nose thing, henkie did that for like a few months

They can be so affectionate and OCD clean! Tito doesn't clean my lashes at all but my daughters? Oh Lordy...he's in love with just her eyes.

@TikiMyn thank you so much! I'm in love with Ms. Pippin as well! I loved the photo of her with her harness and she is turning her head back around to say, "come on...let's go!" Her feets are so cute! I love love their soft feet! :cloud9: My chickens' feets are also soft and so cute! I'm so glad Tito isn't the only one! He does my hair and sometimes likes to pick off dry skin if I have any. How adorable you get your brows and lashes groomed! :pinklol2:

@Donna turner, I'm cracking up about the eyelid thing! The nose thing is making me laugh and my dogs are looking at me like "what's up?!!" :laughing6:
Aah thank you, this made me so happy!! I love your animal family as well, even more so because you love your chickens so much as well, haven't met a lot of people who are like that!
I haven't touched chicken feet in a while! I Will try if I can get one of my grandparents chickens to perch on my arm the next time I am around:D(I think they have babies as well, Will post pictures if they do!)

Chirp loves eyebrows and eyelashes! He also loves to chew on my hair. If he goes and hangs out on my dad, and he hasn't shaved in a while, Chirp will try to preen his stubble :)
Aah Chirp:rofl: the Stubbe thing made laugh! I am trying to het Some bird toys done, but AA is just too much fun!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So true:D:rofl: usually my birds don't poop on my shoulder, but when it happens I don't Always notice, so sometimes my friends are like you have a little bird poop right here, and I am like o thanks, wipe it off and continue:D when henkie poops on them now they don't freak out anymore, so funny, I taught them well:rofl:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Our lovebird Tito absolutely loves being on our shoulders. It's become a perch for him. If he is anywhere in the house and we call, he will come flying and land on the shoulder of the person calling for him.

He just stared doing this funny thing. He is in love with my daughter's eyelashes. He is so attracted to her eyelashes, it's become very funny. He never hurts her and we trust him completely. Still, we are trying to distract him to stop. Anyone else have their fids who like to groom weird places?
Yes, Tikki the sun likes to groom my eyelashes and even though he's gentle it always makes me a little nervous. He also grooms my har but at least doesn't turn it into dreadlocks like gcc Beni does.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW a sun grooming your eyelashes Such a big beak near your eyes might make me a little nervous too

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
WoW a sun grooming your eyelashes Such a big beak near your eyes might make me a little nervous too
You don't know the half of it - he's known as Tikki the Tyrant because he pretty much hates any other woman who enters the house. He's attacked 1 DIL several times (even though we all watch out) and bitten her, has flown at another but we were able to intervene/she ducked. Both hubby and I watch him like a hawk when we have company.

He was given up for "adoption" at a pet store in IN; former owner was an older bachelor. We're assuming that said bachelor found a GF (whom Tikki didn't like and might have attacked) so he was given up. If Tikki (we don't know his original name) considered his former owner his "mate" it would have made for a very difficult time at home.

When he came home (via AA train) he was fine with me until he met my hubby who'd been travelling that week. When he met Fred he was fine, then he flew at me twice and bit me both times. I learned to duck for a weekend but Fred was travelling the next week and Tikki & I had a face-off discussion. Fred was gone Monday a.m. when I was changing bird water/food and I think that was when Tik realized that he'd either put up with me and get food, water and attention or give up all those options. I know I may be giving him a whole lot of credit but I will say it came to a face-off when I put my hand in his cage to switch out water/food bowls.

Since then, we have bonded and he's let go of my hubby and has become more my bird. But yes, knowing how he can bite when he sets his mind to it, I am cautious.

Then again, to put into perspective I have 4 Quakers. Baby Blue I trust completely, I brought him home from his breeder inside my winter jacket (we didn't think we were bringing home a bird). JJ is usually okay but I watch him. The girls, Miss Daisy and Loofa are a whole other story. Cage aggressive but, with Loofa at least, I can hold/handle her without a problem. Miss Daisy (aka Jaws) is another story; she can be sweet as pie, I've had her on my shoulder twice and both times out of nowhere she bit me. Lesson learned - I'll pet Daisy very cautiously but she is not allowed on shoulders and sometimes not even hands.

My gccs, who are known to be nippy on a good day, are better to handle than Miss Daisy. Daisy was surrendered because her mom was expecting, already had a toddler and didn't think she could handle it. Daisy was also a feral Quaker chicik who suffered a leg injury and a broken wing that was never treated; her original owner was the mother of the lady who surrendered her. Sorry for the long story, I digressed a little.

The sun is the largest of all my birds though I sometimes wonder if a Quaker isn't about the same size.

Last edited:

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Harley does that too. Am I right to say that I read somewhere that grooming eyelashes is a very high level of respect? I will look for a link and see if I can find the article.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Harley does that too. Am I right to say that I read somewhere that grooming eyelashes is a very high level of respect? I will look for a link and see if I can find the article.
High level of trust on the human part too!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You don't know the half of it - he's known as Tikki the Tyrant because he pretty much hates any other woman who enters the house. He's attacked1 DIL several times (even though we all watch out) and bitten her, has flown at another but we were able to intervene/she ducked. Both hubby and I watch him like a hawk when we have company.

He was given up for "adoption" at a pet store in IN; former owner was an older bachelor. We're assuming that said bachelor found a GF (whom Tikki didn't like and might have attacked) so he was given up. If Tikki (we don't know his original name) considered his former owner his "mate" it would have made for a very difficult time at home.

When he came home (via AA train) he was fine with me until he met my hubby who'd been travelling that week. When he met Fred he was fine, then he flew at me twice and bit me both times. I learned to duck for a weekend but Fred was travelling the next weekend and Tikki & I had a face-off discussion. Fred was gone Monday a.m. when I was changing bird water/food and I think that was when Tik realized that he'd either put up with me and get food, water and attention or give up all those options. I know I may be giving him a whole lot of credit but I will say it came to a face-off when I put my hand in his cage to switch out water/food bowls.

Since then, we have bonded and he's let go of my hubby and has become more my bird. But yes, knowing how he can bite when he sets his mind to it, I am cautious.

Then again, to put into perspective I have 4 Quakers. Baby Blue I trust completely, I brought him home from his breeder inside my winter jacket (we didn't think we were bringing home a bird). JJ is usually okay but I watch him. The girls, Miss Daisy and Loofa are a whole other story. Cage aggressive but, with Loofa at least, I can hold/handle her without a problem. Miss Daisy (aka Jaws) is another story; she can be sweet as pie, I've had her on my shoulder twice and both times out of nowhere she bit me. Lesson learned - I'll pet Daisy very cautiously but she is not allowed on shoulders and sometimes not even hands.

My gccs, who are known to be nippy on a good day, are better to handle than Miss Daisy. Daisy was surrendered because her mom was expecting, already had a toddler and didn't think she could handle it. Daisy was also a feral Quaker chicik who suffered a leg injury and a broken wing that was never treated; her original owner was the mother of the lady who surrendered her. Sorry for the long story, I digressed a little.

The sun is the largest of all my birds though I sometimes wonder if a Quaker isn't about the same size.
Omg what a story! I imagine their never is a dull moment at your house! It must be nerve wrecking sometimes I imagine!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's true. Depending on what bird you have (Any of them could bite you badly), but you could get a very nasty gash! Harley is a sweetheart though and has NEVER bitten me, ever!! He is truly the best behaved bird I have ever met. I am so lucky to have him :rolleyes:
Ahw Harley sounds like the cutest sweetest little thing! henkie used to bite very hard when he came to me, but now he rarely bites and I trust him not to bite my eye, there is however another lessen I learned the hard way:rofl: yesterday he was sitting on a branch and I was kidding his beak, and them he flew away and the branch bounced and it hit the inside of my eyelid:rofl: nothing serious but lesson learned, never stay to close to the tip of a branch!

Harleyandme

Ahw Harley sounds like the cutest sweetest little thing! henkie used to bite very hard when he came to me, but now he rarely bites and I trust him not to bite my eye, there is however another lessen I learned the hard way:rofl: yesterday he was sitting on a branch and I was kidding his beak, and them he flew away and the branch bounced and it hit the inside of my eyelid:rofl: nothing serious but lesson learned, never stay to close to the tip of a branch!
Harley really is! Luna, on the other hand, is a very bitey bird.
That sounds a bit sore! Is it okay now?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Harley really is! Luna, on the other hand, is a very bitey bird.
That sounds a bit sore! Is it okay now?
Luna naughty birdie! :hehe: Love the name Luna, my best friend and I both wanted to name our girl Luna should we ever get a human child! We settled for different names that both mean moon:lol:(she got Luna grr:D)

O and my eye is fine! Just a bit itchy, thanks for asking!

Harleyandme

Luna naughty birdie! :hehe: Love the name Luna, my best friend and I both wanted to name our girl Luna should we ever get a human child! We settled for different names that both mean moon:lol:(she got Luna grr:D)
Aw, that's very cute. I also love the name Luna, but it's a very popular pet name, so lots of birds are named Luna! What name did you get?