• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing or Scarlett

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My camelot is a flying bowling ball. 1300 grams, sweet as pie when he wants, mean as heck when he wants. Kinda slow minded and laid back until he is mad, then you are going down. Lol! We love him to pieces most days. ;)

Put your sweetie in a cage with low perches. Get a scale and start getting weights before morning feedings. Fun fresh foods. Smushy, crunchy, food that rolls.. healthy! Teach him good habits from day one. Get a vet check and do quarantine him from your others until you get your tests back.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are so many red flags regarding the “baby”.

Why do you say this? Is there something that no one else has noticed?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I was wondering the same think Hankmacaw. What kind of red flags? Other than his large size he appears to be quite healthy. I'm of course quarantining until vet checked, but all looks well. He is eating his hand feedings and picking at pellets and some chop.
I found out his hatch date was January 2 of this year. He will be 4 months on May 2. He has been exercising his wings since I let him out on top of his cage and has tried a couple of flights. Doesn't have much control and crashes. My house is crowded and I'm a bit worried he will hurt himself.
Why do you say this? Is there something that no one else has noticed?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I was wondering the same think Hankmacaw. What kind of red flags? Other than his large size he appears to be quite healthy. I'm of course quarantining until vet checked, but all looks well. He is eating his hand feedings and picking at pellets and some chop.
I found out his hatch date was January 2 of this year. He will be 4 months on May 2. He has been exercising his wings since I let him out on top of his cage and has tried a couple of flights. Doesn't have much control and crashes. My house is crowded and I'm a bit worried he will hurt himself.

Maybe she meant the human baby with a Macaw.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Maybe so Suzanne, but I can assure her the baby is kept separate from all my birds especially the large ones. I will never risk an injury to my grandson.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0052.jpg
So this is the pics of our new baby Camelot macaw. Just wanted to share. He flew all the way across the room this evening. He is quite proud of his wings and spends much of his time flapping them on his cage top.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope you let him fledge, even though a flighted bird is more work. Give him safe flying opportunities, like tossing him onto a bed or encouraging him to fly to you from a few feet away. He will get coordinated but is "learning to ride a bike." I know Annie, a coordinated youngster, got into all kinds of mischief and created some spectacular messes after some awkward landings. I have a soft spot for scarlet hybrids and am interested in your experiences with your new baby. This anniversary must've been the feather one! ;)
And we need pictures!

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
@cathybill7 the red flags concern the person you purchased the bird from.

Red flags

1. Breeder/seller/broker not knowing the age.
2. 3-4 months old and still on 3 feedings a day.
3. 3-4 months old and still not steady on a perch.
4. 3-4 months old and not fledged.
5. 3-4 months old and not eating regular foods.
6. 3-4 mos. and still confined to a crate......seriously

I have raised over a dozen scarlet hybrids (Paleo macaws) and everyone is sitting on low perches at 6 weeks old and steady on higher perches by 8 weeks, out on the perches with my adults. They have all fledged by 10 weeks. All are introduced and nibbling on the goodie bowls between 4-6 weeks, depending on when I pull from parents usually around 6 weeks. As soon as fully feathered, mine go into regular cages with low perches, they climb all over the cage at that point. A general rule of thumb for me is I move the perches up enough so their tails are not hitting the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@cathybill7 the red flags concern the person you purchased the bird from.

Red flags

1. Breeder/seller/broker not knowing the age.
2. 3-4 months old and still on 3 feedings a day.
3. 3-4 months old and still not steady on a perch.
4. 3-4 months old and not fledged.
5. 3-4 months old and not eating regular foods.
6. 3-4 mos. and still confined to a crate......seriously

I have raised over a dozen scarlet hybrids (Paleo macaws) and everyone is sitting on low perches at 6 weeks old and steady on higher perches by 8 weeks, out on the perches with my adults. They have all fledged by 10 weeks. All are introduced and nibbling on the goodie bowls between 4-6 weeks, depending on when I pull from parents usually around 6 weeks. As soon as fully feathered, mine go into regular cages with low perches, they climb all over the cage at that point. A general rule of thumb for me is I move the perches up enough so their tails are not hitting the bottom.
I've never had a baby macaw, as our other two were rescues, but I did voice some of those same concerns to my husband as far as his still being in a crate. The lady was 72 years old and had left her record book at her home in Louisiana. I think he is not steady on perches, due to being crated, but is improving quickly since we have put him in a regular cage. You can tell he does not want to be caged at all and I think it is due to being left to long in a crate. Worse she said I should leave him in it until he was weaned. I've started giving him some chop and fruit to try. As I said, I'm not that familiar with the babies, how many feedings a day should he be on?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've never had a baby macaw, as our other two were rescues, but I did voice some of those same concerns to my husband as far as his still being in a crate. The lady was 72 years old and had left her record book at her home in Louisiana. I think he is not steady on perches, due to being crated, but is improving quickly since we have put him in a regular cage. You can tell he does not want to be caged at all and I think it is due to being left to long in a crate. Worse she said I should leave him in it until he was weaned. I've started giving him some chop and fruit to try. As I said, I'm not that familiar with the babies, how many feedings a day should he be on?

All birds are individuals, but my scarlet hybrid (capri, 3rd generation hybrid; camelots are 2nd gen) was weaned by then. I suspect he wasn't exposed to lots of foods or given opportunities to be athletic, climbing, playing, flying, etc. However, that's water under the bridge at this point. You have him now, and you'll do right by him. I'm hoping that, in your care, the baby will develop exponentially with building muscle, flying, and playing. He's a pretty baby and looks like he's full of P &V. ;)

When ANY baby wants a feeding, they should get one. Parents do a good job of keeping babies' crops full. Keep him on the current feeding schedule; as he fledges, he'll refuse feeding to thin down for flying. I think it's imperative that he get the vet check with a cbc, gram stain, choanal swab, etc. He sounds like he's developmentally delayed and possibly has a minor infection. Since he's making strides in flying and perching, I'm hoping nothing medical is going on. I'm leaning towards developmental issues only. How's he doing with toys?

Weigh him empty in the morning and before feedings. I bought a digital postal scale at Walmart that goes up to 25 lbs. Keep a log and take it to the vet when you go.

I'm not a vet, but I have raised 3 of my macaws from weaning or almost weaned and have raised other macaws at that stage, so these are just my opinions based on my experiences. There are lots of macaw people here and we'll help any way we can. :)

2 questions: what's your baby's name and how long is his tail?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
View attachment 274789 View attachment 274790
So this is the pics of our new baby Camelot macaw. Just wanted to share. He flew all the way across the room this evening. He is quite proud of his wings and spends much of his time flapping them on his cage top.
He's beautiful, this must be so exciting for you so many new thing to learn. Enjoy your new baby and keep us posted.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
While I wholeheartedly agree with letting adult macaws pick you, if you purchase a newly weaned baby of any of the macaws, you get out of it what you put into it. The more positive attention paid to the macaw, the more receptive the macaws are to being held, groomed, scratched and pet. We have 16 different macaws. Scarlets, Greenwings, Harlequin, Miligolds, Catalina’s and the friendliest of all macaws, hyacinths. They all have their own personalities, likes and dislikes. Our friendliest are all of the ones we raised from babies. That being said, we have a 20 year old scarlet that is just a cuddlebug and kisser! Don’t limit yourselves based on supposed attitude or reputation! You are the one that guides them and molds them.
SixCaiques nailed it. You get out for what you put into it. We only have rescued parrots some were mean and nasty but with proper training bad behaviors can be replaced with good ones fairly quickly if done right. article 0022.gif

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for your response. We will be getting him vetted as soon as we can. I do believe he is developmently behind due to being kept in a crate too long, but I must say he is catchin up quickly on his fledging. lol He flew all over my living room last night and even stuck a landing back on his cage. He is picking and eating some of his fresh food I'm giving him. He is trying to talk. He says hello, momma, and I lu you. It is so cute, because when I put him in his cage after last feeding for the evening, He is always saying, "Momma, I lu you." I think he is trying to manipulate to get back out. Aooratrix you are correct, he is full of P&V.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Thank you all for your response. We will be getting him vetted as soon as we can. I do believe he is developmently behind due to being kept in a crate too long, but I must say he is catchin up quickly on his fledging. lol He flew all over my living room last night and even stuck a landing back on his cage. He is picking and eating some of his fresh food I'm giving him. He is trying to talk. He says hello, momma, and I lu you. It is so cute, because when I put him in his cage after last feeding for the evening, He is always saying, "Momma, I lu you." I think he is trying to manipulate to get back out. Aooratrix you are correct, he is full of P&V.

Start recall training NOW. Should not be flying Willy nilly around the house. When you see him preparing to fly either discourage it or call to you. Having multiple perches is beneficial as is having a safe place to land near you (back of a chair or couch).

The crate in and of itself isn’t a problem as long as there is plenty of time outside of it. You know like only for sleeping.

As for food, just like with a human kids, focus more on veggies, herbs, spices and nuts with the fruits more of a treat.

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm no longer using the crate, I've moved him into a cage. I am moving perches up a little and he seems to be comfortable with them. Climbing inside he does good, but hasn't figured out how to climb down the outside of his cage to get to tree stand. He is eating the pieces of the chop I give him in his bowl. I haven't seen him drink too much water yet, but have it available. I'm only giving very small amount of fruit for treats. He is starting to look for attention now that he is settling in, but he's still a bit scared, so I am taking my time and not pushing him too hard. He loves head scratches, and he will step up part of the time, other times he just puts his head down to be scratched. We're going at his pace.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

That is great news! Now, to quote the ancient Chinese proverb, "may your life be interesting", but in a good way. ;)

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just curious if anyone has any input on cages for my guy Scooby. Avian Adventures Grande or A&E? Any suggestions are great. Trying to keep my budget in mind, can't afford SS. Thanks in advance.