• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Roll Call

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Such gorgeous birds All! Greencheeks melt my heart so much, I love them with the burning intensity of a thousand suns! But alas! I cannot find a breeder near me and I refuse to have birds shipped from Eastern Australia. I will live in a constant state of dreaming until such a day comes that I can befriend such a creature.
Oh don't let the cute look fool you, they are little hellions. You can probably sympathize with @cassiesdad who would dearly love to have a Quaker but they are forbidden in his state and subject to automatic confiscation and euthanasia.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Eusthe-... nonono this makes me tear up :'( no bird deserves this unless unbearable suffering is the reason :(
It's state law unfortunately in some places not that most of the agency staff can tell the difference between a Quaker and their elbow or any other green parrot ... A member here had authorities called on them because they were "harbouring a Quaker". Once the authorities showed up, papers in hand and all of the rest of the caca happened, the authorities were informed (via photos in a parrot book) that the bird they were looking at was an Indian ringneck and NOT the renegade Quaker. So much for authority. Fortunately the IRN in question was allowed to stay at home.

You should look up Quakers and states they are banned in. There are different regulations/ expectations depending on the state. Some have draconian laws and other try to work with nature.

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
Well, living in Australia we have fairly universal laws, either a bird is allowed or not, it then depends on the permit and if an owner doesn't have the correct permit the bid is confiscated and rehomed if possible.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I know your country has very strict import regulations that don't only apply to living animals but also to items that are made of wood or are agricultural in any way, shape or form. It is what has kept Australia's wildlife safe & healthy for a long time. But Australia has its own problems with introduced animals like rabbits. I'm sure there are others that interfere with the native birds and animals.

The same restrictions are still pretty tight (I believe) in the U.K. too though I don't know how the Chunnel affected that. Travelling through Europe by car (Belgium, Holland, Germany, France) and even by train (Luxembourg, Lichtenstein) there was little to no border control. Coming from S. America where military police were common and there were always border checks between countries, driving through Europe was a breeze.

As far as I know each state has its own restrictions - Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals.

The legalese might make your head spin.

Hubby & I & fids hope to eventually move to Florida. We're tired of shovelling snow and the cold plus the grandkids are in FL too. We're trying to map our moving drive around states that have the "draconian" restrictions on some of my fids.

Last edited:

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
Oh yeah we got issues with introduced species, our current Lucifer is the Cane toad. The only animal alive I have no issue taking a driver club to. This thing was introduced to remove the cane beetle, despite there being no animal to keep it in check locally/naively.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Oh yeah we got issues with introduced species, our current Lucifer is the Cane toad. The only animal alive I have no issue taking a driver club to. This thing was introduced to remove the cane beetle, despite there being no animal to keep it in check locally/naively.
Don't you love it when one creature has been introduced to get rid of another and it turns into a pest of its own making? Florida has problems with snakes and birds; once the snakes get too big they're released by their owners (or escape from the store) and most tropical birds released will survive in FL. I suspect I'm in for a native wildlife readjustment when we move. Cockroaches are not a favourite anything of mine; that's what hard soled shoes were made for. Lizards on the other hand I have no problem with.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hubby & I & fids hope to eventually move to Florida. We're tired of shovelling snow and the cold plus the grandkids are in FL too. We're trying to map our moving drive around states that have the "draconian" restrictions on some of my fids.
We lived in Skokie. I'm glad we decided to move to AZ before we got our birds. Two days in my car with a howling cat was a test of my patience.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
We lived in Skokie. I'm glad we decided to move to AZ before we got our birds. Two days in my car with a howling cat was a test of my patience.
We'd moved from MN to NJ with my cat and the kitty calmer had her so calmed that she was walking on her knuckles. Fortunately still used litterbox in car. Word to the wise:- never travel in a compact with a litterbox in the trunk and back windows that don't open.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Oh, my favourite - I love wet birds! That's a great picture. In fact they're both lovely photos of a beautiful bird. They do look so different when they're wet, really comical and sort of punky yet vulnerable - a winning combination in my book...

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tell Nibbles and Jackie that they look like they had a drunken bender and spent the night passed out behind a dumpster. Usually in return for them getting water all over my desk and leaving me a big mess to clean up.

Solrwind

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bobby
1270F350-C934-4F73-A219-8069C25D964A.jpeg 53ADE21B-F526-475D-9B01-6E19E5E785B9.jpeg E8958F0F-BD2B-4A5B-B8D4-3B3C2C684844.png

I went to visit Dilly yesterday and boy has he changed in two weeks. Most of his feathers have filled in and he’s eating solid food. I was able to get him to take seeds from my hand and scratch his head, so I think we are on the right track. Pics for attention :)