• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good bye...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know you are sad and reading your post is also very sad. I am so sorry you have lost multiple budgies.

May I suggest you begin to write a budgie journal containing every little detail so we can possibly help you find the reasons behind the tragic losses. Note things like what they eat and drink, the toys in their cage, how much sleep they get, if you have other pets, where the cage is located and so on.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry you lost your bird :sadhug2:

I think it would be a great idea to let @hrafn help you find an AV for any future birds you bring into your home so they can indeed have the better life that you want for them.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry for your loss

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If you get more birds, then please do more research first and actually give them the better life you say you want to give.

Just for starters
-Get an appropriate cage. The one in your photos appears to be round, and that is not acceptable for any bird for a myriad of reasons.
-Don't give them mirrors to bond with. That is not healthy and can lead to a host of behavioral and mental problems.
-Ensure a safe environment. How did your budgie cut himself? How did he break his leg? Was he treated for either of those injuries?

I'm sorry for your loss and don't want to make you feel worse, but any future birds deserve better than what Rainbow and the budgies before him got. Learn from your mistakes, do the research, and treat the next bird right.
:hug8:
Yes, that's all i want to do :) Good to know, he broke his leg because there was a vet when we were moving, he was not gentle with Rainbow at all. I wish that vet never touched him, but he did recover at least. He cut himself, i think from a night fright. I will treat them right for sure :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Alright so, i bought the biggest cage at the pet store, it happened to be round, i actually knew that round cages weren't a good idea, (the top of the cage was safe it had a plastic cover over where the bars connect) but it was that or a hamster cage :) (i found a store that sells bigger cages now) I bought two birds, they ate budgie seed, and i tried fruit and vegetables, Rainbow loved Cilantro :) But they wouldn't eat anything else (this time i'm going to make sure they like their vegetables and fruits) They drank water from the taps, but i think I'm going to switch to filtered water or bottled as the water could have bacteria (we drink filtered water, but it has a little bit of a taste of cleaner or something is that safe?) They had many toys, and the cage had a feature on the bottom to slide out trays, so that was cleaned every week. We cleaned the bars and perches (and toys) about every week or two. The birds were active and chirpy all the time! Occasionally they would get a treat, like a seed stick or spray millet. Unfortunately we used plastic food and water containers, i know that that can get bacteria, but it was the best option (i made sure to clean the containers best i could), i plan on getting metal this time. There used to be sliding food things where they would pretend to eat then fly out (we sealed this part up) one time a bird got out when we were away, and got stuck behind a dresser, no one was there, so the bird passed :( . One bird died from a cheap mirror, i was so angry and i never bought another toy from that pet shop, the bird got its beak stuck in a bell and hung himself :( . The other bird i haven't mentioned, we had the cage in the window, we came downstairs to find the one bird gone, on the bottom. We aren't sure what happened, but i think he had a heart attack, maybe from the thunderstorm outside, maybe something scared them, i don't keep bird cages in the window anymore. The cage is hung, because we have cats, the birds like the height, and the cats can't get them. We have a dog, but he never took any interest in them. I have learned a lot about birds and try to improve every time, but there is so much that can happen, i don't want to learn anything else the hard way :( So if you guys could tell me that would be much easier on me and my birds :)

Any ideas? I'm trying my best, but your all experts :) So lets see what you guys come up with

I know you are sad and reading your post is also very sad. I am so sorry you have lost multiple budgies.

May I suggest you begin to write a budgie journal containing every little detail so we can possibly help you find the reasons behind the tragic losses. Note things like what they eat and drink, the toys in their cage, how much sleep they get, if you have other pets, where the cage is located and so on.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are great vendors on this site who sell toys that are safe for birds. Many of the bigger type pet supply stores sell lots of toys that seem to look great but on closer inspection they are often made with unsafe materials or have dangerous parts to them. I would stick to the bird loving people who make safe toys for your birds.
With the cage I think it may be a great idea for you to have a look at some of the recommendations from other budgie owners here on AA for the cages they prefer for their little ones. There has been so much information shared between the members here over the years of things to look out for etc.
It really sounds like you have had some awful luck with your past birds.
I hope you don’t have to experience such sad things in the future when you get more birds, it all must have been terribly sad for you. :hug8:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Oh man :/ I know you have good intentions, and I think there are a couple things you could do to ensure the safety of your birds.

It is best to let your birdies have a lot of space, but they probably shouldn’t be out of their cage unless they are monitored- especially in a room with plenty of hazards for them. You’ll either have to bird-proof that room or keep an eye on them while they’re out.

I agree with the above, to make sure the toys are safe. Read reviews before you buy! I almost got this thing called a “happy hut”, for example, until I read reviews that said it made their birds sick D:

Also, please consider putting your future bird on a mostly pellet diet! Seed diets can be lacking in nutrients and can cause conditions such as fatty liver, etc.

It also sounds like, in the past, you got your birds from not-so-good sources. It might surprise you, but shelters often take much better care of their animals! If you buy from a bird-mill, not only are you giving those people incentive to keep breeding birds irresponsibly, but you are also putting yourself at risk for major heartbreak (sick birds, etc).

I wish you better luck in future :< so sorry about Rainbow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You did a good job of safety checks. Thanks for that. When you bring birds into your home they can sometimes already be sick and you not know it. Another positive thing you can do for them and you is to take them to a vet before you get them home. Do you live in the US or elsewhere? You can count on a bird toy being safe if purchased from any of our vendors here. Not sure if you live out of the area they ship to.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Good to know! I will do all of this that i can, just i can't get pellets, is there somewhere you can ship pellets from? Do you guys know any trust-worthy sources that ship over-seas? I also brought some toys from Canada to where i live now, they are safe and hardly used. Once again no vets, otherwise i would get them checked out first :( Not sure if there is shelters, i will look into that. Thanks for all the advise! But does anyone know if filtered water is ok? I'm done with tap water it has bacteria here.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm just also thinking, i'm going to buy the big cage but, how do i keep the cats from killing them? Thanks

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I have cats and birds.

My birds are in the bedroom, cats aren't allowed in my room and I keep the door shut. Is this a possibility for you?

Other than separating them there in no guarantee, cats are predators and will be drawn to them if they can get to them no matter how high they are.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have cats and birds.

My birds are in the bedroom, cats aren't allowed in my room and I keep the door shut. Is this a possibility for you?

Other than separating them there in no guarantee, cats are predators and will be drawn to them if they can get to them no matter how high they are.
Here come to the link above.

I could put them in my bedroom, but my family loves having the birds in the family room.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I just wanted to share this with you guys,

Last night i had a dream, Rainbow was still alive. It may seem great that his life was still here, but he was in a small hamster cage, he was unwell, i put my hand by him and he jumped up, but he was so week he couldn't fly or walk. He began closing his eyes in a sick way, then i started crying and begged my parents for a larger cage, and proper food, and that we rush him to the vet, but they said the bird was fine the way he was, and i kept crying and he remained there, in a small hamster cage, held back, sick.

I thought this was a cruel thing my parents said to me in my dream, but I'm realizing now, this was his life :( This is how he was treated, and if i get new birds the same thing will happen...

I've already decided to not get birds for a while, but I can't believe how true this is, I wish i had done more, i should have never adopted him, he deserved better.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a sad dream, and I’m so sorry. I’ts hard to say what kind of home he would have had if you didn’t take him in, and I’m sure there are many worse places he could have ended up. At least he knew love while he was with you, and you never know, he might have passed away anyway regardless of who’s home he was in.
:sadhug2: