• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good bye...

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My Budgie Rainbow, or survivor bird, recently passed away.

Rainbow lived 3 years. That was the longest any of my budgies had ever lived. He had cut him self, and even broken his leg once, and he managed to recover. He lost his mate, and was fine with a mirror. He loved the mirror to death, he would not leave it for more than five minutes. I miss his chirps, and his little dances. I wish i didn't loose him.

Here is what happened,

One day, i went to go check on him and found him sleepy and falling off his perch a little. I got really scared, i didn't know what to do! I would have taken him to a vet, but there was none nearby. I watched him and tried to help him, as much as i could. He ended up on the bottom of the cage, struggling trying to climb back up to the top, to see his mirror, or girlfriend. He struggled for a few hours, till i found him having a seizure, then he passed to another world. I wish it could have gone better. I never wanted him to struggle like that.

Here is a photo of him

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Don’t go and buy another bird.
I see your point, but actually in my area i should because they don't treat birds right here. They put hundreds in cages and if they die, it doesn't matter. Actually buying birds will give them a longer life. Plus i love owning birds, and I plan on getting more, i want to give them a better life.

Also we located a pretty good vet, still looking to find out if they treat birds. If not then i am personally going to contact a avian vet, and get them to give me some training on how to help sick birds, maybe they will even give me some probiotic's for if they get sick.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah... i haven't been to lucky :( 3 years definitely isn't very long, but the vet thing really effects it. We were were moving and this particular bird had to get shots apparently, almost killed him but yet i think it gave him two extra years, as he didn't get many diseases afterwards. He was very healthy till suddenly this whatever, just hit him, he started to show signs of illness, and died 3 hours later, still don't know what happened. I think the average lifespan for budgies is 10-12 years.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’m sorry you lost him :(

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I see your point, but actually in my area i should because they don't treat birds right here. They put hundreds in cages and if they die, it doesn't matter. Actually buying birds will give them a longer life. Plus i love owning birds, and I plan on getting more, i want to give them a better life.

Also we located a pretty good vet, still looking to find out if they treat birds. If not then i am personally going to contact a avian vet, and get them to give me some training on how to help sick birds, maybe they will even give me some probiotic's for if they get sick.
If you get more birds, then please do more research first and actually give them the better life you say you want to give.

Just for starters
-Get an appropriate cage. The one in your photos appears to be round, and that is not acceptable for any bird for a myriad of reasons.
-Don't give them mirrors to bond with. That is not healthy and can lead to a host of behavioral and mental problems.
-Ensure a safe environment. How did your budgie cut himself? How did he break his leg? Was he treated for either of those injuries?

I'm sorry for your loss and don't want to make you feel worse, but any future birds deserve better than what Rainbow and the budgies before him got. Learn from your mistakes, do the research, and treat the next bird right.
:hug8:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am deeply sorry for your loss.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

You mean antibiotics:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

I see in your other thread that you live in Canada. Whereabouts are you? Maybe we can help you find an avian vet in your area, to prevent such a horrific tragedy from happening again.