• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going to the cage factory.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So my latest adventure here in Thailand involves a visit to the cage factory. I have been wanting a stainless steel cage for Vader and Joey, but prices at the pet market were crazy and there were no reasonably sized stainless steel cages.

I've decided on a cage that's 170cm high, 220cm long and 107 cm wide. It's going to be massive.

My only question is about an option they have to divide the cage in half. This would essentially create two cages with a dimension of 170cm tall, 110cm long, and 107cm wide. That's a decent size for a greenwing and blue and gold right?

Furthermore, Joey and Vader aren't exactly the best of friends. They are fine being close to each other (they fly to the top of each other's cages) but have had a few grumpy squabbles. Should there be a concern about them attacking each other through the divider?

Attachments

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BUMP

That might be too close for comfort, but what you could do is hang toys to block off likely paths of attack, and don't put perches on that side where they may try to sit and argue. Good luck!

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I'd recommend their own cages but if you need this cage than I recommend getting a plastic divider. Or plexi glass.
I didn't even think about plexi glass. That's a great idea.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My birds lived together fine. Little squabbles now and then, but they almost always worked them out. I rarely had to referee, but then I was home all most all of the time and could see when it was too rough.
You will never regret getting the stainless steel. I've had mine for (OMG) 20 years now and it is fine. The only thing that has worn out is the rinky-dinky plastic bottom tray. Also they made the cage door lock out of pot metal and Hank took one look at that, grabbed it and broke it off. Oh well - it must not have been tested by a GW.

How are those two doing.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
My birds lived together fine. Little squabbles now and then, but they almost always worked them out. I rarely had to referee, but then I was home all most all of the time and could see when it was too rough.
You will never regret getting the stainless steel. I've had mine for (OMG) 20 years now and it is fine. The only thing that has worn out is the rinky-dinky plastic bottom tray. Also they made the cage door lock out of pot metal and Hank took one look at that, grabbed it and broke it off. Oh well - it must not have been tested by a GW.

How are those two doing.
I saw a picture of a macaw that had destroyed another macaw's beak and that's freaked me out (it doesn't take much). Did yours share the same cage or was there a divider?

Mine are good. Vader's head jerking seems to be nothing major. Joey is simultaneously being grumpy and needy. It's quite the challenge. Lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No lying, it does happen. They shared an inadequate cage for a few months, then I had a 10' x 7' room built onto my house and they lived in there with the SS cage in the room. Hank was head over heels in love with Jasper and always let her have her way - that's probably what kept them from fighting. Besides Hank could always get away from her since he could and would climb onto the swing, hanging thing and Jasper wouldn't because of her arthritic feet.

This is the thing he would escape to.
Hank on top of Gym.JPG

This is how they got along together most of the time. In the RV.
1-08 Birds0009.JPG

Attachments

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
No lying, it does happen. They shared an inadequate cage for a few months, then I had a 10' x 7' room built onto my house and they lived in there with the SS cage in the room. Hank was head over heels in love with Jasper and always let her have her way - that's probably what kept them from fighting. Besides Hank could always get away from her since he could and would climb onto the swing, hanging thing and Jasper wouldn't because of her arthritic feet.

View attachment 254729

View attachment 254732
:heart::heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Hey Joey, how are the 'kids' doing ? any new pictures ?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I saw a double macaw cage with a double divider option. It was just two sliding dividers side-by-side, so I'm guessing about 1/2"-1" between them? Nothing significant, but seems like it would help protect toes and give beaks a more difficult angle while still giving you options for toy/perch placement.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade

View attachment 254729

View attachment 254732
I love that pic! Joey and Vader are no where near that comfortable with each other yet. But they did share a brief kiss yesterday with a bit of tongue touching.. Lol. I'm in no hurry for them to become besties because I worry they will lose their bond with me.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I saw a double macaw cage with a double divider option. It was just two sliding dividers side-by-side, so I'm guessing about 1/2"-1" between them? Nothing significant, but seems like it would help protect toes and give beaks a more difficult angle while still giving you options for toy/perch placement.
That would have totwlly been the way to do it. I wish I had thought about that. A few weeks ago my B&G and GW both figured out how to escape their current cages. I would come home from work and find them sitting on top of the other 's cage. No mutilated toes, so I have hope it will be okay. I am planning to replace the divider with a acrylic sheet if there is any hint of agression.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Looks like one inch spacing to me. :D
That's what I requested, but the bars are 1cm thick and it seems like 3 bars would fit between the spacing. That would put it around 1.5 inches. I've read that's okay, but for a worrysome guy like myself, well, you know... I envision trapped heads

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The cage looks great!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That looks like a cage that you could keep a gorilla in. Of course, Vader may give it a run for it's money.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
That looks like a cage that you could keep a gorilla in. Of course, Vader may give it a run for it's money.
Vader is currently obsessed with the shiny door he can reach from his current cage. It totally looks like a gorilla cage! I had wanted thinner bars, but these were the smallest they had. Hopefully it's as indestructible as it looks.